Mental Health Forums

Olanzapine

Rael

I always swore I would never go on it but i've run out of options and something bad will happen if things aren't dealt with.

Only on 2.5 right now, doc wants to check i don't have any bad reactions to it. I've done research on it but just wondered about any personal experiences with it. really worried about weight gain, already trying to lose some weight but if i start gaining i'm scared i'll start being drastic to lose it again.

going back to see doc in 2 weeks so if i have any concerns i can raise them then.

thanks

But there's nothing wrong with curvy birds

that actually the nicest thing i have heard in a while that i can relate to myself :lol:

thanks mole and pilgrim, really appreciated the replies. weird thing is (i know ive only been on it three days) i have found that the only way i can alleviate the sickness, dizzyness and general shite feeling is by not eating and not sleeping

isn't that kinda defeating the object :blink:

managed to get quite a list of questions for the doc anyway so im sure he will be pleased :lol:

i been on venlafaxine before i think (have to check) and don't seem to think it helped, nothing i have been on before ever has. typical bloody awkward woman :lol:

xxx

Olanzepine:

20Mg is the maximum

10 Mg is usual

I have been on 30Mg in hospital under a psychiatrists permission

It might take a while to kick in, if your sleep pattern doesn't improve - tell someone

Thanks hun.

i think i'm just worrying about how it is going to affect my ability to get to work and do my job - already on thin ice. is actually just reassuring in itself to hear from others who are/have been on it. kinda makes me feel less alone.

thanks again

:bigarmhug:

xxx

hi i was on it for 18 months ish it did help alot i was on 10- 15 mg made me put on quite a bit of weight though so i swapped to quitiapine but it works well once you get used to it i didnt find it interfeared with my concentration after a while

I was on it, gained over 3 stone in les than 3 months.

however, it did stabilise my mood adn the drowsiness wore off

also i had undx asthma and didnt know about hte weight gain thing so wasnt really exercising, so with your Wii hopefully all will be well

yeah hopefully, gonna ask to see a dietitian too. is a good excuse to play on a computer though ;)

xxx

i'm on 20 mg, i was started on 5 mg 18 months ago but the weight gain didn't start until they raised it to 20 mg 6 months ago. so on a small dose i don't think you should worry. the up side is that since they increased it i have felt better. it stopped the voices in my head.

and if you've got a wii that'll help too. exerise is a great mood lifter!

helen x

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on 25mgs of Olanzapine. Significant weight gain but now losing it all through self-starvation (which is bloody hard when you're on a drug that gives you the appetite of 3 people). Olanzapine made me severely bulimic, my appetite was so big. I spent £20 a day on food to gorge and purge. I had to sweet talk my p-doc into prescribing me Topamax for the bulimia. I used to be terrified of olanzapine, I thought it was a last chance saloon drug for hardcore cases. But abilify wasn't doing shit for me and I bit the bullet. Olanzapine is definitely the best AP I have been on (bar Haloperidol on which I am also on a small daily dose). It got rid of my symptoms for about 9 months until I switched back to abilify due to the weight. Now at 25mgs I can function in life - study, work etc but my psychosis is still extremely bad. The p-doc wants me on clozapine.

Good luck

nuclearwinter x

Archived