Mental Health Forums

Prozac

janey

either i'm going COMPLETELY mad, or this medication is CRAP!!! i've been on it for a week now and feel like i'm going to EXPLODE or seriously go for someone. I cannot stand it!! i feel twitchy and irritable and like i've got the worst PMT EVER. it's fucking awful!

please someone tell me what the hell is going on and that this will wear off before i jump off something tall.

:angry:

janey,

it can take a while to settle down on some meds. sometimes it takes up to 4 weeks to feel a positive effect. if you are worried about anything, or feeling suicidal, call your gp for advice. everyone is different and people react to medication in different ways.

take care :)

Janey,

I am where you are, can't help feel that the intense emotions just waiting to overflow are the 'real' me and the prozac just brought it out of me. It has to get better. We have to keep believing it will be. When are you next seeing your Doctor? If medication makes you feel like this it's worth mentioning.

Good luck

Anwen

Janey,

I am where you are, can't help feel that the intense emotions just waiting to overflow are the 'real' me and the prozac just brought it out of me.  It has to get better.  We have to keep believing it will be.  When are you next seeing your Doctor?  If medication makes you feel like this it's worth mentioning.

Good luck

Anwen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i don't know whether i'm feeling like this coz my bf walked out on me recently, or becoz of the meds, or if it's just coz i've been on it for just a week.

due to see my dr this week or next. haven't made the appt yet. feel like i'm quietly, very quietly spiraling out of control.

what dosage are you taking?

ok, had better do before i grind my teeth down to the gums.

feel as tho i'm looking around waiting for someone to do something annoying. it's a horrid feeling... i just want to relax and chill.

(whoever invented this stupid drug anyway? GRRRR!)

Anyway, i don't know why the dr put me on it again... i tried it before and it had the same effect as it is now. so she put me on citalopram, but i think the effectiveness of that started to wear off after a while, which is why she's trying me on prozac again.

sorry to twitter on so much, i just feel very twittery today. :wacko:

I feel twittery too, to the point where I'm so annoyed, I'm annoying myself. hate to say it but the only thing giving me a mellow moment is the weed. I was moaning today about a phone ringing at work, a phone! I wanted to scrape my fingernails down a blackboard. It has to get better right, you always hear about prozac helping people feel better, not making them feel wound up. I've recently moved onto it from effexor, because of the hope it will control my bulimia. I had bad grindy jaw thing with effexor, but not with prozac, which is nice. I felt like I was going to get a huge manly jaw. Still getting the same vivid intense dreams though, which I had hoped to experience some relief from. Definately gonna ask my dr about this next week when I see him.

absolutely same here. it's maddening!! everything seems louder than usual too and i'm snapping my boss' head off every time he asks me to do anything. he's so nice too, poor man.

maybe i should try the weed, although when i wake up in the morning i feel really shitty.

i keep having dreams too and waking up as though feverish. i wonder if they can put us on something else at the same time to relax us. I can't seem to switch off when i go to bed, it's like a voice is going on and on and on in my head, muttering stuff, hateful, angry stuff about my ex.

Im on prozac I dont find it has done anything for me - when I was first put on it it made me very anxious and didnt calm down for weeks - i really hope things start to settle for u soon

xxx

My boss asked me today if I would like him to take off his shirt and hand me the whip (he's fine looking, so it would have improved the situation!) what is with me? I'm so defensive. The last few days i have had existed on 4 hour sleep a night. This afternoon I started to feel weird...almost like I had taken sulpiride (tranquiliser)...couldn't keep my eyes open. Could barely see, walk, talk, managed to get home and then slept for 5 hours. Can't help thinking that it has nothing to do with prozac, this is just how I am. I which case I would have to get used to it. Have you made the appt? :P

I have been on Prozac (fluoxetine) before and had the same problems - BUT - it did settle down and I got some real relief in the end.... (until it stopped working...*sigh*)

So maybe stick with it for a while and tell your Docs about the effects - it may be just too much to bother going through all that, though, so talk to Docs soon.

Luv ya

Ginny :wub:

I have been on Prozac (fluoxetine) before and had the same problems - BUT - it did settle down and I got some real relief in the end.... (until it stopped working...*sigh*)

So maybe stick with it for a while and tell your Docs about the effects - it may be just too much to bother going through all that, though, so talk to Docs soon.

Luv ya

Ginny  :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Ginny, I'm sure it will settle down... i will give it another week and see what happens (i've only been on it for 8 days).

How long were you on it when it stopped working?

hi janey try to persevere with the prozac, i had the same effects when i first started it then it settled down and i have been on it now for three years, feel better than any of the others i have tried, although we all react differently. hope you get yours sorted .take care, rosehip x

welcome lost soul, keep going with the prozac, it may take a few weeks to kick in, i hope you get on with it okay, take care rosehip x

i used to get grindy jaw with cipralex. i am starting to get that with this. i definitely prefer this med so far though - a lot less tired and only a little anxious and spacey and the grindy jaw isnt as bad.

yey!

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Guess I'm a wee bit late to come into this thread to say the least, but I have a pack of these very tablets sat on my dressing table waiting for me to start them! I WILL take my first one tomorrow, for definite! Was on Seroxat for a year about 4/5 years ago which didn't really do a great deal for me, except give me one hell of a time coming off them! :rolleyes:

So, yeah, forgive me for this pointless post but my brain is kinda in overload and is all over the place these days. I just hope they work and I don't get any worse than i am currently before they kick in!

Well I would guess given that your symptoms are in the side effects list

Other side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. However, check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

More common

Anxiety or nervousness; decreased appetite; diarrhea; drowsiness; headache; increased sweating; nausea; tiredness or weakness; trembling or shaking; trouble in sleeping

Less common or rare

Abnormal dreams; change in sense of taste; changes in vision; chest pain; constipation; dizziness or light-headedness; dryness of mouth; feeling of warmth or heat; flushing or redness of skin, especially on face and neck; frequent urination; hair loss; increased appetite; increased sensitivity of skin to sunlight; menstrual pain; stomach cramps, gas, or pain; vomiting; weight loss; yawning

Incidence not known

Cracks in the skin; loss of heat from the body; painful or prolonged erections of penis; red, swollen skin; scaly skin

I have had a few of these from time time to time!

And this is the list of check with doc if they occur!

More common

Decreased sexual drive or ability; inability to sit still; restlessness; skin rash, hives, or itching

Less common

Chills or fever; joint or muscle pain

Rare

Breast enlargement or pain; convulsions (seizures); fast or irregular heartbeat; purple or red spots on skin; symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), including anxiety or nervousness, chills, cold sweats, confusion, cool pale skin, difficulty in concentration, drowsiness, excessive hunger, fast heartbeat, headache, shakiness or unsteady walk, or unusual tiredness or weakness; symptoms of hyponatremia (low blood sodium), including confusion, convulsions (seizures), drowsiness, dryness of mouth, increased thirst, lack of energy; symptoms of serotonin syndrome, including diarrhea, fever, increased sweating, mood or behavior changes, overactive reflexes, racing heartbeat, restlessness, shivering or shaking; talking, feeling, and acting with excitement and activity you cannot control; trouble in breathing; unusual or incomplete body or facial movements; unusual secretion of milk, in females

Incidence not known

Abdominal or stomach pain; agitation; back or leg pains; bleeding gums; blindness; blistering, peeling, loosening of skin; bloating; blood in urine or stools; bloody, black, or tarry stools; blue-yellow color blindness; blurred vision; changes in behavior; chest pain or discomfort; clay-colored stools; coma; constipation; continuing vomiting; cough/dry cough; dark urine; decreased urine output; decreased vision; depression; difficulty breathing; difficulty swallowing; dizziness or lightheadedness; eye pain; fainting; fainting, fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse; fatigue; general body swelling; high fever; high or low blood pressure; hives or welts; hives, itching, puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips or tongue; hostility; increased hunger; indigestion; irregular or slow heart rate; irritability; itching; joint or muscle pain; large, hive-like swelling on face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, sex organs; lethargy; light-colored stools; loss of appetite; loss of bladder control; muscle twitching; nausea; nightmares; no blood pressure or pulse; noisy breathing; nosebleeds; pain in ankles or knees; painful, red lumps under the skin, mostly on the legs; pains in stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back; palpitations; pinpoint red spots on skin; pounding heartbeat; rapid weight gain; red or irritated eyes; red skin lesions, often with a purple center; redness, tenderness, itching, burning, or peeling of skin; severe muscle stiffness; shortness of breath; skin rash; slurred speech; sore throat; sores, ulcers, or white spots on lips or in mouth; stopping of heart; stupor; sudden, severe chest pain; sudden shortness of breath or troubled breathing; sudden weakness in arms or legs; swelling of face, ankles, or hands; swollen or painful glands; thoughts of killing oneself; tightness in chest; tiredness; twitching, twisting, uncontrolled repetitive movements of tongue, lips, face, arms, or legs; unconsciousness; unpleasant breath odor; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusually pale skin; use of extreme physical or emotional force; vomiting of blood; wheezing; yellow eyes or skin

There you go!!!

Hey

I was on prozac for about 4 months until recently. I found that it took about 4 weeks for it to settle with me and actually kick in. Once it had I was ok. Until recently when it just seem to stop working.

You will get there I found it really good.

sunshinex

Wow, NotaGirl! Thank you so much for posting all that! That is one serious list! :o I seem to have over half of those things prior to starting the tablets anyway! lol

Sunshine Bear, thanks for that. I guess I just need to stick with it for the next few weeks (you never know, I may get away with minimal effects...?!) and then hopefully the thunder cloud following me around will sod off! It's a shame it stopped working for you, I hope you've managed to find something else that works?

Thank you very much for your replies. It's appreciated :D

Hey Tabatha.

Yeah just stick with it. Its a good anti depressent. One that I would recommend. They swapped me to venflaxine which is taking its time kicking in.

Keep us updated how you are doing!

sunshinex

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Tabatha, welcome! :)

My ex-pdoc (I have lots of ex-pdocs, I seem to drive them all off somehow ;) ) put me on Prozac soon after it was approved here in the US. It started working for me almost at once--I mean, like within 3 days!!! :o Not that I'm complaining! I suddenly felt so good, better than I had in years, literally--I even found out I had a sense of humor I had totally forgotten about!! Not only that, I lost lots of weight without even trying! (And yes, I definitely needed to lose that weight!)

It worked well for me for about 3 years...then it stopped working. :( I went crying to my pdoc and said, "What happened?!" and he said, "Oh...it's the old 'Prozac poop-out'!" :blink:

That happens sometimes and I don't think anyone knows why. Maybe your body somehow adjusts to it over time?? I don't know, but I was so mad--it had been working so well!!

Sometimes after a break you can go back on it and it will start working again. It's weird!!

I've finally found another anti-depressant that works for me--I take Cymbalta, 60mg/day. I feel good! :D

I really hope the Prozac works for you--it can do wonders!!

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi, and thanks for the replies :) Turns out I was allergic to the Prozac and I am now on Cymbalta (Duloxetine) 60mg a day. It seemed to be working but i've had a bit of a relapse over the past few weeks and have just been signed off work by my GP. I don't want the dose to be increased just yet as I thought it was starting to work just before i slipped back down again, so I want to see how it goes.

At least I've had no side effects with this one though, thank goodness!

Archived