Mental Health Forums

Do Meds Make You Stupid?

yorkiegal73

I used to be thought of as fairly bright. I had no problem reading text books at uni, I could argue for hours about politics etc. I had a fairly extensive vocabulary and could always hold my own in a discussion.

But over the years I feel as though I've lost those abilities. I frequently forget simple words during conversation. I read some of the more in depth posts on this site and really struggle with them, and certainly find it difficult to respond. I find mental arithmatic difficult, even though it was one of my previous skills.

In the past, these problems only arose when I was very depressed. Now they seem to be the norm. It seemed to get worse from the time I took citalopram four years ago. I'm not on it anymore but never regained my ability to concentrate. I suppose I'm concerned about this more now because I've just started on an anti psychotic and I worry about what long term damage I may be doing to my brain.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Yeah Yorkie, sounds oh so familiar.

I used to be able to read 5-7 paperbacks a week, hold a reasoned discussion and a managerial job. I can no longer do any of these things. I thought the 'forgetting simple words' was just me! I feel so stupid that I can't hold a decent conversation, one of the many reasons I guess I've stopped trying, I now avoid any face to face contact unless absolutely necessary.

Don't know if it's related to medication, not been on Citalopram, but mine seemed to get worse when I was on Olanzapine.

CCxx

Good Question:

I think medication takes away our ' Power to reason '.

And it takes away our ' initiative'

I can do all the things I've done in the past - but new things are problematic

i have problems with this too, since i have been on meds i find it hard to remeber stuff like what i did the night before, remebering words for things( but i speak more french than english so it could be that!) concentration lasts for loads less time. i heard someone else say once when i was in hospital that it was the meds that caused memrory loss

xxxx helen

I too forget the simplest of words in a conversation, and brought it up with my psych nurse this week. It took me 3 days to think of the word Ignorant! It makes me feel soo stupid, yet i too have been thought of previously as intelligent and articulate.

I've been on Olanzapine for about 6 months and think it's that that has caused it. I'm also on Velafixine and Lithium, but i don't think it's them that have caused it. Last couple of weeks i stopped taking the Olanzapine and i've not become any sharper, but i have managed to loose a stone as my apatite completely disappeared.

The forgetting words thing is just sooo annoying, why does it do that, any-one got any ideas?

Med are there to make you more stable for it to do that it alters you brain chemistry that is why you now like this

I have the same problems as well and am on Citalopram but i also have a brain injury as well

Aamanee

I'm the reverse. Topamax makes me forget the words for things. Thats annoying but I never have any problem on 25mgs of olanzapine and 1.5mgs haloperidol and 60mgs Prozac. I think the olanzapine works for me like an ADD med works for someone with ADD. It makes me really focused (despite not treating my psychosis! It gives me insight into my condition so I can cope with the paranoia). Without the meds I'm a mess and can't write a word of sensible english. The meds gave me back my intellect.

That's a terrific good story you are able to tell, Nuclearwinter.

Yorkiegal, I think it is partly the choice of med and partly the dosage, I did badly on a medium dose of citalopram and of mirtazapine (separately) (the latter because it's a antihistamine & I forgot to check - I always do badly on those) and a huge dose of venlafaxine. For many people though, these drugs are superb, either at a low or a high dose. One of thes e through a GP and two through a psychiatrist (as outpatient) (fairly recently).

I have done well on a very low dose of risperidone (except for ballooning weight gain), amitriptyline and now a starting dose of gabapentin, which I shall probably increase any day. All of these through a GP. In the case of the first two of these well below the "official" starting dose. Fortunately I've had physicians experienced to have seen this sort of thing work for someone before.

By badly I mean drowsiness, agitation, large scale memory loss.

Archived