Mental Health Forums

Starting To Realise This Anger

Katherine

..because it is linked up with my power and life force....Its a relief to know this anger is healthy, is a positive sign that things are moving....to accept that I'm not falling apart...even though it feels really seriously horrid, its really quite a violent anger and rage. Its my power and its real and it sure disorientates me because its been held back too long...and now its a bit safer to feel it...

I am SO angry with how I've been held back and have been holding myself back on my development as a mature woman....feel like I've been shortchanged out of life. So so so angry with my father mainly....He abused me indirectly. I must read up more on the *&%"@?<>! female version of the '#!^&$£&*( Oedipus Complex...what is like supposed to happen and what didn't happen in my case...

karie

Am glad you are accepting this anger Kari...you are a good persona nd very intuned with youself...things will only get better for you hun.

((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))

Love, Em

thanks Lorna,.....I 'simply' need to direct it in the right place....in therapy this afternoon it became apparant I haven't been and that its been self destructive...the original source of it though, that I'm trying to fight through to reach is healthy..its my life force....

...and nearly 35 years of repressed aggression are coming to the surface...thankfully I have my therapist and all of you to help me keep as close to sanity as I can be right now....

karie

Anger is one of my main issues :(

But I don't suppress it, and it has caused me all sorts of problems. I lash out and destroy objects around me, (I once smashed up a car with a metal bar) or let rip verbally.

On occasion I have physically attacked another person. (I am so ashamed of this). But not in the last few years. It's pretty terrifying. My friends used to laugh and talk about my Irish temper and passion. but it's not nice, and it's not good.

I used to see 'red-mist' but now I am really trying to control it.

Me and my fiance have a 'safety word' that he can say that will help me snap out of it when I am exploding in rage, it usually works.

I am much, much better these days.

thanks to my husband to be :wub:

Thanks Punky...

And Claire for sharing your experience.

I'm reading parts of "Breaking the Cycle of Abuse" By Beverley Engel, and there's a great quote about how if we suppress thr anger as a child, people can lash out and behave inappropriately in the present-when its really the parents or other abusers that the anger is about.

It helped me feel more compassionate and understanding of my anger and rage.

My inappropriateness is how I tend to have got annoyed at people in the street or the shops who intrude on my boundaries, as I feel, but really my parents never allowed me to develop secure clear boundaries.

And then I've also directed the rage at myself through self harm.

What I need to do is get out the unexpressed stuff in therapy and somehow claim my adult power in my life.

karie

Archived