Mental Health Forums

Mirtzapine And Citalopram

amy123

i went to see my pdoc on Thursday and she prescribed me mirtzapine 15mg i'm also on citalopram 40mg,

my pdoc says that mirtzapine suppose to work well with citalopram,

i know i've only been on mirtzapine for a couple of days but i'm sleeping very heavy.

when i woke up this morning i was dizzy and it felt like i was drugged up.

does anyone take these 2 meds together?

Amy xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Amy, i've never been on them both together. But have taken Mirtazipine. It made me incredibly sleepy for the first month. I was informed by my pdoc that they are good for insomnia or sleep problems that coincide with your depression or anxiety etc and they are best to take at night before you go to sleep. the first few days i would sleep for 12 hours solid and still wake up feeling groggy. this should subside a little as you get used to them.

• 3 weeks later...

I took mirtazapine (I forget dose) by itself, on prescription by previous psychiatrist, I forgot to research it beforehand, I have known for decades that I can't handle antihistamines (which this is one), I had to tell psychiatrist I was having to stop it because I was missing work from sleeping (it completely knocked me out for 36 hours at a time), and it caused a feeling of irritation also.

I did badly on citalopram alone though I found out later the doctor had prescribed a rather high dose of it.

Hoping you can arrive at something that does you good we are all different,

Hi amy123,

I am on mirtazapine at the moment. I have only been on it a month. It is the 15mg. Problem was for me the effects only lasted 2 weeks. I wasnt sleeping at all and now i have gone back to that. They have just upped my dose to 45mg which is killing me. I mean it knocks me out as did the 15 mg initially. I know what you mean. I have become realy irritable as well.

Hoepfully it will do okay with you

Emmie

x

I'm on 45mg of mirtazapine.

Started out on 15mg and for the first couple of weeks it knocked me out. It's recommended to take it just before you go to bed because of the sedative effect.

It does wear off, believe me. And the sedative effect lessens as you increase the dose.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep 40mg Citalapram, 45mg Mirtazapine, I think Citalapram is one of the best anti-deppresants around, and Mirtazapine is great for helping you sleep and it reduces feelings of anxiety, however your not on a theraputic dose of Mirtaxapine yet.

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I don't mean to hijack this thread but this is something that has me concerned as well, about mixing these two medications. My current cocktail is Remeron 45 mg, Depakote 250 mg 4x/day, Librax once/day, and Norco (Vicodin) 10/325 2x per day. My pdoc said today that he wants me to go down to 30 mg on Remeron and add Citalopram to the mix. He said he would start me on 5 mg of the Citalopram and work me up to 10, then eventually to 20.

However, he had to warn me about something called "Serotonin Syndrome" that is a risk anytime you combine two serotonergic medications. It has me scared to death because I read on the net that this can cause paralysis, coma, and death in bad cases. So, I'm wondering, is this really such a good idea? Has anyone else on here had a lot of experience mixing these two meds, and does remeron mix well with it?

It looks like a couple others in this thread have tried it. However, the risks have me worried and I'm thinking about not doing it. Any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I'm doing ok with my current cocktail, when taking only 30 of the Remeron I can usually get by on 8 hrs. of sleep, but with 45 I've been sleeping 10-12 hrs.

Yes I have heard of Serotonin syndrome, I actually had it when they put my Citalapram up to 60mg, I felt really rough, like I had the flu, did some home research and found out what it was, lowered the Citalapram by 20mg, and after 24 hours felt fine again.

Reported it to my GP, to make her aware of this thing.

As for your concern, Mirt and Cital are commonly prescibed together, but I wouldn/t presume to tell you what to do.

I'm currently on Citalapram and I find it one of the "cleaner" drugs, opposed to the Mirtazapine which as stated by others does seem to knock you out a bit...

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of science with it, the problem being it dumbs down Doctor's minds, like they're following a flow chart or something...with anything like this it's all trial and error, plus budget is factored into there somewhere - if it's not working for you, keep on at your doctor until they find you something that does work...

Best of luck...

K.x

I have taken both, Citalopram didn't do a lot for me but Mirtazapine gave me a few of the best nights sleep I have had in a long while.... that said I wasn't on it long as it made me so hungry I would have sold my own grandmother for a sandwich.

that said I wasn't on it long as it made me so hungry I would have sold my own grandmother for a sandwich.

LOL ....... So true.

Aurora :)

i went to see my pdoc on Thursday and she prescribed me mirtzapine 15mg i'm also on citalopram 40mg,

my pdoc says that mirtzapine suppose to work well with citalopram,

i know i've only been on mirtzapine for a couple of days but i'm sleeping very heavy.

when i woke up this morning i was dizzy and it felt like i was drugged up.

does anyone take these 2 meds together?

Amy xx

Yep, I started with those meds. The first two weeks on mirtazapine are kinda hard. You sleep very well ^^.

Enjoy it. Then I dropped citalopram and started taking venlafaxine and then mirtazapine kinda stoppen working. Well not completely but almost.

I take 45mg and well normally I should be comatose but I'm awake =(.

It gets better though after the first two weeks. You'll be fine. If you got a hangover in the morning you can even split the 15mg tabs....to 7.5.

that said I wasn't on it long as it made me so hungry I would have sold my own grandmother for a sandwich.

LOL ....... So true.

Aurora :)

Glad I'm not alone! hehe

Hey Brokenwings, I get like that as well. I'm so glad I'm coming off mirtazapine tomorrow; got doctor's appointment :) . I binge like crazy, and it doesn't help me sleep anymore. I eat anything I can find when it hits.

I started the combo last night with 5 of citalopram and continued with 30 of Mirtazapine. Only bad feeling I noticed was heavy chills, like when you have the flu coming on. I went to sleep and the feeling was gone in the morning, don't know if adding the citalopram did that or not though.

Archived