Mental Health Forums

Should A Pm Stay Private

amy123

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, but maybe some people feel unable to report things that aren't nice, maybe they're scared. I dont know, im trying to be objective about it. I sympathise with both sides of the discussion.

Rachel

i have started another thread like you said. Why is this thread here, is it about your good name ?

we don't all get on, so a senior staff member finds in a spot check that they have been bad mouthed, should they do anything? After all, it is only an opinion, carried in private. The purpose of spot checking is obvious, or is it to ensure the staff are not disliked? i know you would look if there was an argument that makes sense.

Amy.

There are many reasons for why we go through pm's and spot check them occasionally. These have all been gone through before and its never been a secret, its a term of using this site.

Before i go into some examples of why we check them first may i say that as per any place that you visit that is provided for your use there are rules governing the use of it, should not agree with the rules you choose not to join etc.

Some the examples...

Someone who abuses another member but that member does not feel able to report this themselves, trolls that message many members and this needs stopping, yes members that insult other members behind others back etc etc

I thought that they were personal messages, so that we could communicate personally between each other, as opposed to private, so I guess it didnt bother me that much that senior members of staff might pry, after all it is done in our interests, and in the interest of safety of members. Something that makes me feel more secure. Agreed senior members of staff would not appreciate being bad mouthed etc, but then, if you want to then you can take that outside of the forums, on msn or other forums that you use or wherever.

It does state in the terms and conditions of use, that this is what will happen, also that you should be aware of what you post will be available to the world wide web, etc, and that anything that you say in chat, or PMs within chat can be accessed by staff.

I guess my opinion is, if you have nothing to hide, nothing that you are doing which contradicts the terms of use, you have nothing to worry about. We all have opinions, but this is a forum which states it will not tolerate abuse of other members etc, and by randomly checking PMs, chat, posts etc, the staff are looking out for our best interests.

I dont see how that is wrong, but then I guess I see them as personal and not private, so maybe that makes a difference.

Really Amy, i have better things to do than to spend my life worrying all the time about what people think of me.

If this forum has taught me anything its that you cant take everything thrown at you to heart.

And i believe i answered your question perfectly well.

"Someone who abuses another member but that member does not feel able to report this themselves, trolls that message many members and this needs stopping, yes members that insult other members behind others back etc etc "

Amy,

I rarely check them myself, this is why i have supervisors as i dont have all the time i would like to have.

Yes im told if the supervisors believe i need to know something but they dont bother me with anything unless its deemed to be important to make sure i know.

Yes im bothered about my name and reputation if something that is unfounded and untrue is written in a public arena like the forums as this constitues not only a breach of the terms but a breach of the law of the land.

I don't think you can push self responsibility on people (as with the recent issue over a certain member who some of us thought was a troll) and at the same time say that people aren't capable of reporting pm's they are unhappy about.

However, i accept that the reading of pm's is in the t&c's so if that's the actual reason they are being read we'll just have to accept it. I tend to do all my bitching on msn anyway. :)

Amy when you have so much going on in your life, with your daughter, your father etc, why is this such a big deal?

wow. that is really below the belt.

Daisy, I think that was a little inappropriate. I'm not going to get involved with this discussion as i agree with both sides, but i do feel i needed to say something about that.

I just dont get some people on here at times. Any chance for a row, a little argument, anything that can be found and SNAP here we go again. Even over things that have been brought up quite some time ago.

Some see the benefits of such a service and completely respect that there will be rules as with anything but others will take every chance to moan about it and drag it through the mud.

Amy

I spoke generally and without mentioning names which would be wrong of me. Should you choose to believe you are one of the people who do this I can only leave you to think about that.

me too Amy, as any attempt to question how our community works is dismissed as 'moaning'. I wasn't aware that pm's are read. I am now. I accept it. I merely pointed out my perception that it is hypocritical to on one hand instruct members to sort arguments out amongst themselves, and on the other, go into their pm's and deal with an issue without having received any complaint from the receiving member. Anyway, there's obviously no point in trying to discuss it.

I think the comments to Amy are very unfair and off topic. Amy is entitled, as we all are to express her views without other issues being dragged up.

Fairy xxx

Archived