Mental Health Forums

Should A Pm Stay Private

amy123

Indeed I agree with Fairy. I wasn't going to participate in this thread but after what was said to Amy I felt it necessary to add my view.

Amy has a right to express her opinion, as does everyone. Even if it is having a little moan about something, there is no harm in it. I don't think for one minute anyone is looking for a row, it is just a debate. Debates happen in our society, it's a way to hear everyones views. I think it is a shame that Amy is being targeted for showing concern about this matter.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is also something i find interesting. At times where we and by we i mean this system and some of the member population disagree its Our community but at times when it comes to funding our community it becomes my burden, also when there have been attempts by us (the system) to gain the support and time for members in completing certain tasks its not seen as something the community should have to do.

Points have been raised about the hypocrisy of it all, well could it not be seen the other way also?

Interests me to, how the member population seems to have the right to freedom of speech with little regard of the effects of this on fellow community members but the staff (who are volunteers) are all required by the community to be gods who do nothing wrong and are here at the beck and call of some members.

I must stress this doesnot, once again, apply to all members but indeed it does for some.

I agree Josh, it isn't right at all.

I myself have as you know, given a lot of financial support to this forum and also my time. Yet I am expected not to have views. Other people have also become an integral part of this community, only to be verbally abused when expressing opinions. It isn't right at all.

Fairy xxx

Been readint he thread for a bit.

thought id leave it to ppl who have the issues and opinions (which there is nothing wrong with)

but its hard seeing all this arguin

first about the whole ethical stuff

and then this

and also nasty pms

I am still relativly new

but this seems to me to only be a rcent thing.

My frist impressions were a suppoirtive community

lets keep it like that??

all opinions are valid

but we dont need to be sniping

Josh is right, it is in the T + Cs

I guess it may be seen as a hinderence to some that Pms are being read, but like poepl have said, Msn will do the trick too

I think we're all really great people on the board

while some things that Josh does may be being questioned right now,

he has set out with the right intentions

and ya know what, without him I would have no refuge....

I know alot of us may have read his book, try to remmember why he satrted this in the first place

lets stick together as a community, yeah..

xXx

Ps id like to say thanks to all Josh especially, hes been a big help setting up this site.

and to Crip, Rael and all of the others who help me so often,

your all great

chill

x

Pps Soz bout spelling Lager and me spelling proper dont always go well x

Been readint he thread for a bit.

thought id leave it to ppl who have the issues and opinions (which there is nothing wrong with)

but its hard seeing all this arguin

first about the whole ethical stuff

and then this

and also nasty pms

I am still relativly new

but this seems to me to only be a rcent thing.

My frist impressions were a suppoirtive community

lets keep it like that??

all opinions are valid

but we dont need to be sniping

Josh is right, it is in the T + Cs

I guess it may be seen as a hinderence to some that Pms are being read, but like poepl have said, Msn will do the trick too

I think we're all really great people on the board

while some things that Josh does may be being questioned right now,

he has set out with the right intentions

and ya know what, without him I would have no refuge....

I know alot of us may have read his book, try to remmember why he satrted this in the first place

lets stick together as a community, yeah..

xXx

Well said.

I completely agree with you.

I hope we can all move on from this and get back to the business at hand

helping eachother through the shizz that we call the outside world

we're all here becasue we have something in common

but were also all beautiful people at heart

lest put it to good use.

and give eachother a brweak

love to all

x

i would like to thanks those who reminded me of how shit my life is right now.....

i hope you are happy with yourself,

Thanks a bunch just what i wanted to hear.

Goodbye.

Amy when you have so much going on in your life, with your daughter, your father etc, why is this such a big deal?

That's bang out of order! Amy has as much right to express herself as anyone else and you should be ashamed of yourself for such a snide comment. She's had a hard enough time lately without crass jibes like that. :angry:

I agree that its not fair to have things like that said

we dont need reminding on here tht our lives suck

we need supporting

whether i agree with opiniopns made or not,

we dont need to make comments like tht

just because we have shit happenin doesnt mean we cant express our opinion

x

Wow I didn't know PM's were read, but while I don't necessarily agree with it, i'm also not a mental health expert & am not aware of things that could go on in PM's so it is no doubt beneficial to us all. I think any of mine are pretty boring anyways but it's good to know that the staff & Josh care about peoples safety here & are looking out for that!

Hey guys,

I only just came across this topic there now. I don't send many PMs as I already was aware of senior levels of staff had access to them and hence I agreed to this being done when I signed up for the forum. But I will raise two things:

1. its not an argument nor a chance for some on here to brown nose the leaders of the forum but blankly agreeing with staff just because they believe it will gain them favour. People are entitled to debate a point or wreath of points on what they think or believe and Josh does encourage such debate...hence why he permits an open topic on it and allows views to be expressed

2. more importantly, never have I been more disgusted than to see stuff being hurled at amy - a member of the peer support team (and given the title implies that amy in the past has contributed to the board in terms of her own time to help other members and support them). She doesn't need people callously hurling her own crisis posts in her face in a devious manner to shut her up.

What I'm more surprised at is that the staff are content to talk vigorously about rights and obligations and looking at PM's which is okay in my opinion, and yet here on this very forum a disgraceful harrassment to a peer support worker has actually occured and no one from a member of staff has commented on it, tried to address it...nothing.

I agree, also staff not remaining on topic at all. Amy was asked to make another thread, which she did, only to have it hijacked by staff. I don't understand this at all. This thread was about PM's nothing else.

Freedom of staff speech and financial obligations have nothing to do with this. I know I commented on it too, it isn't that I disagree, I just think it is off topic, or unfair to the orginal poster. As are personal attacks as to why someone may have forum issues. I guess the staff issues maybe belong on the notice board thread.

Fairy xxx

i always thought a PM means private,i now believe that senior staff can read our PM's.

i'm also worried to send PM's now.

Ok, to bring this back to Amys first post, I've just quoted it.

Amy thought something, which she found to be incorrect (sorry to talk about you in the third person Amy).

The terms and conditions are there to read when you sign up, the link is there on every page.

Its an individuals choice to read them or not.

I understand that it may feel a bit worrying that what you assumed, turns out not to be true.

But what is it you are angry at?

It was your choice not to read the T&C's.

I'm on various other forums (non of which are mental health related, and all have it that staff can read the pms).

I don't know whats going on for you at the moment Amy, but I am worried that focusing on things like this detracts from the fact that you are in distress.

Amy, please look after yourself.

i was asked to start a new thread by JOSH cos i didn't understand WHY staff read our PM's,where's the harm in asking WHY they are read?but i was reminded of how crap my life is on this thread if you READ it,

in my opinion i think JOSH encouraged me to start this thread cos he wants an argument.

Amy.

I wasn't gonna get involved here but I just have to express my concern that someone's personal issues are brought up in such an inflammatory manner which would obviously cause hurt and distress

Amy's question about PM's was valid and she just doesn't deserve to be treated this way, she provides a lot of support on this forum and is entitled to voice her opinion without fear of personal issues being used in such a manner.

I hope that staff will take appropriate action to deal with this

I do think it was worded badly, but it is possible the intent was honourable.

I cant remember the proper phrase. But what often happens to almost everyone at sometime or other is when you're in an emotional state and its difficult to address directly, the emotions get misdirected.

Kind of like someone gets yelled at by their boss, comes home and gets all grumpy with their OH, because they cant yell back at their boss.

We've all done something similar - I know I have.

It may be possible that Daisy was trying to show that it looked like some kind of misdirection is going on.

Anyway, I'm seeing a lot anger and assumptions being made. I'm finding it almost impossible to follow peoples train of thought, as they jump to worse case scenarios.

I doubt I will return to this thread, as I'm very uncomfortable with it.

Just for any clarification....please be mindful of these terms....

Terms of use!!

Mental Health World forums are owned by Joshua Cole and licensed for use with BPDWORLD the Charity (No 1111750)

Our commitment to you:

• We will do our up most to keep the forums safe, secure and free from harm.

• We will respect you, be open and honest at all times.

• We will involve you in decisions where possible.

• We will be mindful that allowing people to get close enough to help you can also allow them to get close enough to be abusive. This can sometimes cause you to panic and try to escape. We understand this and will work with you in an honest and open way.

• We will give you the greatest freedom possible and will give clear explanations on if any restrictions are enforced.

• We accept that you may not have caused your problems but have been left with the burden of finding a way to solve them.

Your commitment to us:

• You will try to be honest with other community members and yourself.

• You will work with the group to reduce self-harm behaviour

• You will be respectful of other community members and their views at all times

• You will be mindful that all community members need to learn how to understand you and respond best. Also that sometimes they may get it wrong. You must be prepared for this, and talk about it.

• Mini Mods are members who have the ability to invisable posts, such as spam and posts that break the terms of the site. If a Mini Mod misuses these powers under any circumstances they may, without warning, be made back into a regular member.

You must read : How the forums work

All members must adhere to the following guidelines whilst on our site. These guidelines are common courtesy and self-explanatory, to eliminate confusion they are outlined below. The guidelines apply to all communication on the site, including chat, profile comments, personal messages, blogs and gallery. We reserve the right to suspend any account that deliberately or constantly ignores or breaks the guidelines with or without notice in order to protect the interests of our community.

1. This is a peer support site for helping with mental health disorders; it is not a place for debating or preaching any religious or political views that you may have. If so, there are other sites more appropriate with dedicated issues that would be more beneficial.

2. All members are to respect each other and members of the team regardless of their personal beliefs, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or lifestyle. We expect all members to treat others with the same care and consideration that they themselves would want from others. Threats of violence, bullying, prejudiced, judgemental/offensive, retaliating or preaching remarks will not be tolerated and will be subject to further action.

3. No personal disagreement should be brought into this community. If you have a disagreement with another member or a member of the team this should be sorted out in private. Posting private arguments/issues may result in moderation action being taken. If you would like help with an issue, or would like to discuss things you can submit a support ticket.

4. Please try and post in the appropriate forum. Any posts that are made outside of an appropriate forum may be moved without warning. You should not post the same topic repeatedly; duplicate topics/posts will me removed.

5. Try and stay 'On Topic' if something comes up within a topic that you would like to discuss please start a new thread.

6. Do not post any personal information that you are not happy for the whole World Wide Web to know. Posts will not be removed at users request unless there is a valid reason. If you would like anything removed you should submit a support ticket stating the reasons why. Accounts will not be deleted.

7. Do not post any personal information about others, either members or someone not on the site. This includes information that you have learnt from personal messaging or any other forms of communication on or off the site. Information from this site should not be posted on other sites. Disclosing others personal information may result in moderator action.

8. No advertising of any product or site is allowed without prior permission from the owner. Regular members are allowed to post links to their own websites to gain feedback, or their face book/MySpace accounts etc

9. We do not allow research of any kind on the forums, any posts that ask for member's participation in research will be removed immediately and moderation action may be taken.

10. Goodbye posts will be closed as soon as posted. No member of the community should reply to these and as soon as a member of the staff team becomes aware of such a post it shall be closed.

11. All content submitted to this server may be viewed to ensure that the guidelines are being followed and to ensure the wellbeing of the community. In joining these forums you agree that you are granting a license to Joshua Cole & BPDWORLD (The charity) to use, adapt, include any views or materials you post. This license is granted for as long as Joshua Cole/BPDWORLD requires it.

12. Members are only allowed one user account. This should not be shared or accessed by any other person. Any member who joins up with more than one user account may face moderator action. Repetitive rejoining or rejoining to try and get past a ban or suspension may result in the services of the site being withdrawn completely

13. Due to the nature of these forums we have a minimum age for membership of 16. If you are below this age please do not continue with registration. If you submit a support ticket we would be happy to advice of more suitable forums.

14. If you should be feeling suicidal or having thoughts of self harm. You may discuss these thoughts on the forums and with other community members but please be respectful of their feelings. It may be hard for others to hear about how you are feeling. It's strictly NOT permitted to talk about current self harm or suicide

15. Private messages are monitored to ensure the terms of use are being complied with, this same point applies to chat transcripts.

Do everything you can to deal with the thoughts you're having.

Call a help line (during the day BPDWORLD is available on 0870 0053273)

Use you coping skills, watching TV, ice, walks, baths,

Call your crisis team or CMHT

Send a message to a staff member on the forums.

1. I've never known Josh to try to start an argument. What do I know though?

2. It's true there was some mud slinging... to more than one person.

3. It sucks that you're having a hard time right now.

4. I have a hard time thinking of what kind of private things I put in PMs that I wouldn't want staff to read. I put my personallty stuff out in the forum anyway. But that might just be me.

Amy,

Could you please provide me your reasons for why i must want to start an arguement with you as ive asked you to start a new thread and not make one i have previously made about your issues?

josh i dont know why you say this. it is okay for u to ask me to make another thread the u talk aboout something else and threaten to close it.u get the rules posted on here but u dont say that it is not ok what was siad about me. im not breaking the rules. why would u close the topic? and i feel u are not answering me just sayin i am arguing.i asked why what your post in notice board was for u didnt answer me. what are my issues i dont understand you.

Amy.

Amy im affriad im not prepared to spend any further time in responding to this thread. Now to be accused of doing so just to cause an argument etc.

Hope the thread serves you well.

ok josh u won't answer but u want us to answer u when u want info. i thought u were going to close this thread. you say one thing i reply then u say something else. you dont want us to debate but u wont answer.

Archived