Mental Health Forums

Picture Added To Motivate Weight Loss.

Boy_Blue

Hey Blue. Did you train 6 days for a particular sport? I used to be uber-fit too with wash board tum but then the kids came along and the rest is history. I got 1 and a half stone to lose but find it really hard cos on lots of tablets. I've struggled with anorexic symptoms (the 8 and a half stone thing) and bulimia since I was about 13, so 20 years now. I've been on every diet imagineable, yoyoed up and down and was even offered modelling contract but I just can't seem to keep weight stable. I know what I should do and how to do it but my brain doesn't seem to work right. How is it best to maintain weight? I mean from losing too much not just gaining too much.

By the way, your friend sounds like he achieved a lot and must have a will of steel! Well done to him.

I was training for rowing. I was being coached to go to the Olympics and I threw it all away on drink and girls and drugs and partying (that was good too at the time). I too had the six pack etc. The key to keeping weight stable is developing habits. Eating the same low GI foods at the same time in 6 small meals a day plus some light exercise. You need to do it consistently for a six month period and your body will become a fat burning furnace. x

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of that! A fat burning furnace. Will give it a go. 6 small meals a day is good for me as get low glucose as body tends to burn food quite quickly anyways. Are you going for the 6 meals a day thing again then?

I like the idea of that! A fat burning furnace. Will give it a go. 6 small meals a day is good for me as get low glucose as body tends to burn food quite quickly anyways. Are you going for the 6 meals a day thing again then?

Yes thats what I will do it. GI diet by Rick Gallop (I think his name is) is the best. I will be restricting myself to 6 by 200 cal meals. Not easy but that is what My friend takes and it worked for him.

Let me know how you get on nd I'll let you know how I do. Do I need 6 x 200kcal as well? Or do I need less?

Hi Roses,

It depends on how active you are. If you are sedentary then you could get away with 11-1200 cals a day. You need to try and eat at the same times and the same types foods every day. Its all about developing habits and your body knowing that there is another nutritious meal coming soon so it gets rid of excess. By the way they are small meals at that calorie intake such as a bowl of porridge or one slice of wholegrain toast and a sugar free and fat free yoghurt or piece of fruit.

I don't know what effect your meds have on your metabolism. You might need more calories then I said. Too little can be as bad as too much as your body goes into starvation mode and stores even healthy food as fat.

Best of luck and if you need any help or advice then let me know.

Cheers x

Let me know how you get on nd I'll let you know how I do. Do I need 6 x 200kcal as well? Or do I need less?

Hi Roses,

It depends on how active you are. If you are sedentary then you could get away with 11-1200 cals a day. You need to try and eat at the same times and the same types foods every day. Its all about developing habits and your body knowing that there is another nutritious meal coming soon so it gets rid of excess. By the way they are small meals at that calorie intake such as a bowl of porridge or one slice of wholegrain toast and a sugar free and fat free yoghurt or piece of fruit.

I don't know what effect your meds have on your metabolism. You might need more calories then I said. Too little can be as bad as too much as your body goes into starvation mode and stores even healthy food as fat.

Best of luck and if you need any help or advice then let me know.

Cheers x

Here is a quick list of the foods you can eat. Loads of green. Some amber and no red if possible.

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/glycemicindexchart/

That is really helpful to see it in colour order. Yea! Nutella is on the green list. Best not eat a whole jar though...

Thank you so much for this advice. I was veggie for many years so love all the healthy stuff. Meds make me put on weight easier. Usually can maintain OK weight but tend to drop underweight due to lack of food but these meds make me hungry and seem to put it on easier. Guess is trial and error and will see how I go and keep in touch. How are you today? What are you doing for New Years?

Hey,

I was out with a friend all day yesterday (The one who lost the weight) and he gave me a lot of encouragement for starting tomorrow as planned to lose the weight etc. Was really happy and looking forward to it and was telling my wife. She was a bit off with me and then got annoyed and told me that she was annoyed with me for taking advice from somebody else when she tells me these things all the time. There is a big difference in encouragement that my friend gave me and criticising me like she does. She has taken the wind out of my sails and pissed me off. She should not care if I why I am doing this. It is for myself and not for my friend and certainly not for her. I need to do this for me and it takes me very little to knock me back as I can be very sensitive due to my depression. I never say cruel things to other people and it pisses me off people being so self centred.

I am going to spend new years eve with my daughter and wife. Not doing anything. Just watching TV. It is always a sad time for me and I feel like a victim and failure but hopefully this time next year it will feel different.

What are you up to?

Hi all in this topic,

Boy blue, best wishes with the weightloss , or 'lifestyle change', as i am calling mine. I was up to 15st on meds (zyprexa) 4 years ago, and lost 5 stone a while back. But 20lbs has crept on since i discovered vegan chocolate footballs! Plus i dont eat right- for a vegan, and i dont have set mealtimes. Im 11st now.

So i am starting a lifestyle change re: eating, sleepoing and excersise officially on the 01/01.

On the subject of tats- i had 17 peircings till i had to take them out for an MRI scan, i was friendly with the tat artist in my local place, and i want 1 of alice in wonderland with the 'drink me' bottle.

and one of a happy buddha. i was thinking of getting one of Morrissey done, as i have adored him for 20 years. I want to be sure of what i want tho... I am getting he alice one soon as a pressie to self for being 6 mths clean.

Faierie, 27 hrs! But i love those angel wings. My friend has a fantasy scene on her back, it took a while to do, it was the cost that put me off initially, so i ended up w piercings instead.

Gun -steve, you are looking really really well. I rem you posted a pic before and then a 2nd one to show us your w.l. journy- you are looking brilliant! Fair play to ya.

Roses- mi was always 9st on the nose when not preg, the tablets have really messed with my weight and metabolism, zyprexa is the obvious cause, but effexor is a sly, long term offender too. I am sucessfully off effexor now for a week. Took me 2 mths to do it without getting bad side effects. Just need to up the cardio to up my metabolism.

Cant wait to get my 1st tat - i'll post a pic if there are no objectors? :)

Take care you lot- thanks for the pic boy blue- to put a face to the name.

Wishing you all a happy prosporous in all areas of life new year.

xxx

Anne Marie

Howaya,

Missed this post when you put it up first. I love Morrissey and the smiths also and i was also happy in haze of a drunken hour but heaven knows I am miserable now! Losing 5 stone was some achievement. Well done. i was on Effexor also it made me drink a lot more than usual (i think) and I gained weight on it also. It was a bastard to come off but I did it cold turkey. To be honest it felt like coming down off an E for about 3 weeks so for me it was not that bad. some people who would not be used to that sort of feeling would have been freaked out by it.

Would love to see your tats (ok now that sounds weird) so post them when you get them. Wishing you a very peaceful new year and lets hope the world is kind to us sensitive souls in 09.

Peace,

B.

Hey there Boy blue, i know this is kinda off-topic, ( am all manic today but poorly so can't go exercise til i drop, but i want to try and channel it somehow, so figured i'd let out all my steam on this here forum) ....

Just wanted to say that i love it when people use song lyrics in conversation!!!!!! Especially when said lyrics are The Smiths!!

It always, always, always makes me smile, so thankyouuuu!!

and nice to meet you by the way :)

How're you doing?

Crip xx

Hey there Boy blue, i know this is kinda off-topic, ( am all manic today but poorly so can't go exercise til i drop, but i want to try and channel it somehow, so figured i'd let out all my steam on this here forum) ....

Just wanted to say that i love it when people use song lyrics in conversation!!!!!! Especially when said lyrics are The Smiths!!

It always, always, always makes me smile, so thankyouuuu!!

and nice to meet you by the way :)

How're you doing

Crip xx

Hey Crip,

Music is my first love and it will be my last (really)

I am going ok. My friend Mr. Morrison summed up how I am feeling today:

People are strange when you're a stranger

Faces look ugly when you're alone

Women seem wicked when you're unwanted

Streets are uneven when you're down

And finally to top it all off:

I like big butts and I can not lie

You other brothers can't deny

That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist

And a round thing in your face

You get sprung

So I am feeling sad lonely and frustrated, a bit fat and looking forward to the new year. Its nice to meet you also.

Cheers, The Peoples Champion

Ahh, i can agree with you wholeheartedly on the music lovin'! It never ceases to amaze me how you can have two very different pieces of music, and you can become so lost in them, so wrapped up in them, feel so secure there hidden among the melodies of both pieces, yet each one transports you to a completely different place. Oh i just love it, I do. :)

Good choice of songs, well, good choice of first song, fits my mood quite well today too, i'm afraid. As for the second, i can't listen to that song without getting a vivid image of Donkey from Shrek with his wonky teeth out of my head, so it definately has some comedy value.

I'm being a bit of a failure today, was supposed to be out with the boyf pre-party, but feeling so under the weather that i'm staying in and curling up under a blanket, mug of hot chocolate in one hand, a paintbrush poised in the other while i try and hone in on these strange shapes forming in my mind, and a strong dose or three of self-pity for good measure.

Oh, i think i'm having a Morrissey day today, all morose and sombre and shizz.

You're spending new years with the family? Oh you lucky thing.

It's not that my family aren't around or anything, it's just that, well, they just do my head in, tend to crush my heart, mind and soul and blah blah blah 'no child of mine is mentally ill' blah blah blah. So i just tend to smile and nod absently, maybe throw a cushion at my brother every now and again, pig out on chocolate, and slowly but surely drink myself into a coma before the year is ended.

And now i'm ranting. Oh dear. I feel a strong need to vent about nothing in particular, just get the words out, so for now i shall leave you in peace and with very best wishes for the new year.

Here's to a good one, ehy?!

Crip xx

Ahh, i can agree with you wholeheartedly on the music lovin'! It never ceases to amaze me how you can have two very different pieces of music, and you can become so lost in them, so wrapped up in them, feel so secure there hidden among the melodies of both pieces, yet each one transports you to a completely different place. Oh i just love it, I do. :)

Good choice of songs, well, good choice of first song, fits my mood quite well today too, i'm afraid. As for the second, i can't listen to that song without getting a vivid image of Donkey from Shrek with his wonky teeth out of my head, so it definately has some comedy value.

I'm being a bit of a failure today, was supposed to be out with the boyf pre-party, but feeling so under the weather that i'm staying in and curling up under a blanket, mug of hot chocolate in one hand, a paintbrush poised in the other while i try and hone in on these strange shapes forming in my mind, and a strong dose or three of self-pity for good measure.

Oh, i think i'm having a Morrissey day today, all morose and sombre and shizz.

You're spending new years with the family? Oh you lucky thing.

It's not that my family aren't around or anything, it's just that, well, they just do my head in, tend to crush my heart, mind and soul and blah blah blah 'no child of mine is mentally ill' blah blah blah. So i just tend to smile and nod absently, maybe throw a cushion at my brother every now and again, pig out on chocolate, and slowly but surely drink myself into a coma before the year is ended.

And now i'm ranting. Oh dear. I feel a strong need to vent about nothing in particular, just get the words out, so for now i shall leave you in peace and with very best wishes for the new year.

Here's to a good one, ehy?!

Crip xx

I totally get everything you said. I am a creative sort also although I don't paint as often as I used to. I write music to try and capture the positivity of the my deep feelings on stuff. I also do want to rant on just anything sometimes and that is why I joined this forum (also to meet people who understand stuff). When I say spending time with family I am talking about my daughter and wife. My family other family and my wife for that matter wreck my head big time (so does my wife sometimes but that is probably me as much as her). Sometimes when I go out on nights like new years and I am surrounded by people I always feel more alone then ever. I am giving up drink for one year and was supposed to have a few tonight but I cant be bothered. No matter who I am with at the moment I always feel alone.

Hey. Sorry took a while to reply but not having good time last 24/36 hours. Up half the night hallucinating, scary. Anyway, I totally understand what you said that whoever you are with you feel alone. I feel the same. Like a hollow inside my soul that can't be filled.

You are right you should be doing it for you and if you get a knock back come on here and we'll all help cheer you up again. Sounds like you have a good friend (one who lost the weight). That is priceless in this life. Some people just don't realise how easy it is to hurt vulnerable people.

My hubbie and I do the lyrics thing all the time, and film quotes. There was a thread on here where we were all posting lyrics that match our mood. I feel like Radiohead - Creep, Rage Against The Machine - Settle For Nothing, Nickleback - Because of You

Hi Roses, Hallucinating must be horrible. I had it when I came off my tabs at first. Happy New Years!

Well my film quote for 2009 is from the film Lock stock and two smoking barrels

"If the milk turns out to sour I am not the kind of pussy to drink it"

2009 is the year that I will take no shit from people!

x

So how's it going Blue?

I am great thanks. I did one of my MBA assignments (Due tomorrow) so that is a weight off my mind as I had all but given up. Back on track there. I am also proud that I have managed to stick to my diet completely for 4 days so far. Going out on my new bike tonight for a bit. That should be a laugh. The saddle looks like it could do damage alone. Form is good today. Back in work tomorrow so that is when the real fun starts for me. Without my comforts i.e. food and drink I might go mental. Plus I will have all the people who work for me questioning my new eating habits. I hate when people mention food that I am eating. Even when somebody asks what's that? it just pisses me off. When did anyone ever ask a question like that for my sake? Only to have a sly glance across the table and a snigger. Well I will show them patronising gits when I am the fittest person in the place. Its not them all I have a few good friends. Nobody who knows I am depressed. That is a no no for a senior Manager who is supposed to be motivating people.

You should see me now Rose. I look exactly like the picture. I could have had 10 curries and 40 cans of beer by now. O well soldier on!

How are you? Hows life treating you?

Your message is full of life and positivity. Good for you and fingers up at those people at work. You're right, you'll show them. Well done for sticking to diet, is a real achievement. I'm not doing so good. Just posted poem in bad day/night but is a bit depressing so you might want to give it a miss. Diet is going good though. Have decided will have a weekly weigh in and will let you know how I get on. Good luck on bike ride. As I said in other post am sure is a bit colder up here so am sticking to indoor stuff at moment!

Had first weigh in and have lost 5lb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice one Rose. That's fantastic! Guess what? I have lost the exact same amount!

Its a great start for us both. Well done.

Archived