Mental Health Forums

Think I Might Need Meds But I'm So Scared

mummyismad

Don't know if I should have put this in the crisis point forum or not - things are bad, real bad lately and I have never thought so much about ending my life as I have lately, even now I am contemplating it, the only thing that keeps me going is my kids, I couldn't leave them. Anyway point of post is I think I might need meds, I have tried them before a few years ago and I didn't like it they made me ill, sick dizzy and shakey, so I stopped, tried some others same effect,so this time I refused, going to counselling soon. Thing is think I might need them now. Struggling a lot lately. Can't find a way out, just want someone to love me but they can't no one can, I don't have a personality anymore just a shell now. Just need some advice on the meds, like side effects how long they last, are they easy to come off, other peoples experiences etc. Thanks for listening xx

hi friend....im sorry you have felt so low lately,i fely that way a few weeks ago

It shows your stregnth that you are still here and also shows your love for your kids.

It will get easier,you feel like a shell because your depressed but you are still in there.

I work in a pharmacy so can offer advice.....

the side effects usually last a month or so and as soon as your body is used to the you will feel the benifit.The doctor sometimes suggest taking them at night so you don't feel many side effects as your asleep.Speak to your doctor about this.They can cause drowsiness.

DEF go for your counselling.....it will help to discuss how you are feeling.

xxxxx hope i was of help

sorry you are struggling so, but well done for considering taking meds and for acknowledging you may need some assistance.

the side effects will differ depending on the med and the person, as will the length of time the side effects last, ive had some that never went away and i had to stop, some that lasted a month and some that went after a week and as daisy said if you find taking them at one time problematic your doc could suggest taking them at a different time. some can leave a hangover effect if taken at night so if you experience any effects that dont seem to be going or that are too debilitating then discuss with your doctor and he may find an alternative time you can take them.

as for coming off them again it can depend on the med and the person but your doc should be able to advise you better, when coming off any med though unless its because its cause a seriously harmful effect the advice is usually to taper usage off, gradually cut it down.

i hope the counseling helps you, when do you start it? the empty feeling is the depression hiding your identity, its still there though and i know people love you, your kids do for a start and its clear how much you love them.

take care

xxx

Thanks guys, Counselling starts mid jan 2009, I have had a couple of app's but have cancelled I am just so scared they will think I am crazy and try take my kids off me when they are all i have got, I couldn't bear it. I know I need something because I don't think it is normal to feel this way and when things are tough suicide is my first thought and slowly but surely there are less ways to deal with my problems and this is seeming like the only option. I know I can't do it but the pull is getting stronger and stronger, it's like there are 2 me's a strong me - and the weak me, one that says it can be sorted and one that says there is no way out. I just want someone to understand, but I don't know how I can ask that of someone when I don't get myself. All i know is I'm sad, very sad and I'm sinking with no life jacket. Do you think meds will help? I don't want to end up more of a mess than I already am xx

meds will help so please consider it.....

i am worried about you but i know you are strong enough ....im here for you.

The counselles will want to hep,not take your kids away

xxxx

I am afraid of the meds and doctors I feel very alone right now and I don't know what to do with myself, I feel so pathetic, I want to look forward and enjoy things I want to be happy. Thanks for the advice tho xx

Archived