Mental Health Forums

What Should I Do?

jadedflower

hey yall. i used to be anorexic and bulimic for more than half my life and i'm 31. well. i just found out my cousin is being treated for anorexia and may be bpd. i;m not close to this cousin at all seen her all the time but never spoke a sentance to her. she's always been real skittish and her mom is paranoid and i'm sure is blaming herslf. now i know i could be alot of help because she's down to 4 percent body fat and still haven't forced her into a hospital but my mom says i can't help until they ask. i know so much about this and could so help my aunt it's killing me bur they haven't asked so.......?

their family is weird they have lots of secrets and my uncle can be volitale if you cross his "perfect" family

Sounds tricky but you have so much to offer... how do you think your aunt and cousin would react? Is there any way to keep your uncle out of it?

my cousin has never said more than 2 words to me. i don't thinks she likes me or any of the cousins-we're tight knit. my aunt i like and she likes me but from what my mom tells me she is very weird and paranoid. besides i've been telling them for years the family at the reunions that every girl cousin in our family has or had an eating disorder but we don't talk about it. the aunt also blames herslf and i can see where she could cause when the family was eating icecream her daughters were only allowed organic yougurt plain flovor. my other uncle would sneak them candy, every granddaughter has it o]i'm the only one who had to be treated and admits to it.

There are some battles that are best left alone. I understand you feel like you can offer help but what is the cost of this help to you? I'm not being negative sweetie am just concerned as have been here many times. I'm the sort of person who cries at Bambi!! Have been hurt many times in situations like this.

i appreciate it roses. i guess i just had a fantasy about how i was gonna save the day but you're probably right. i needed that. my dad and his brother's relationship is very fragile and i tend to have foot in mouth disease so i guess it's best left alone thanks yall!

I can see what Roses means - the number of times I've tried to help people and ended up caught in the middle of a battle! That's a very good reason not to get involved but at the same time, you might feel bad for not helping. Perhaps a happy medium would be to let your aunt know (discreetly) that you know what you're cousin's going through and that she can contact you if she wants to talk about it. That way it's in their hands.

It's just a suggestion though. You do what's best for you and as Roses said, if you're going to get hurt, leave it be.

i decided to email her cause igot a new computer and i was seeing if their christmas and new years was nice and oh yeah hope eveyones doing well and feel free to emali me anytime. sound good to yall?

Yeah, sounds good. Sorry, feel like prophet of doom now. Saskia, you are wonderful! You help me so much, how'd ya get to be so clever?

Must be the Weetabix! ;)

You're fab-tastic too xxx

Archived