Mental Health Forums

Amazing, Brilliant & Emotional

ramfan007

I wanted to share this story with you all. It is a trully remarkable story because of how this came about, and is testemement to just how amazing some people can be if you just give them a chance to be.

I joined this site in August 2007, I was finding life tough and needed some support. I came across this site and was immediatly made to feel at home. I met some brilliant people and met the person who is now my best freind, something I never had before. We have just come back from a week in the French Alps, we went to Risoul in Southern France for New Year, it was the most amzing, brilliant and emotional experience I ever had.

I went with my freind, her husband and two children aged 8 and 15. We flew from Birmingham to Cuneo in Italy and then drove through the alps to from Italy to France. We arrived late in the resort and it was dark. The children where tired and we just got into the appartment and went to bed. The next day we where greeted by the sight of mountains, trees and feet and feet of snow. To put it into the words of my freind, it was like being in Narnia, the views where to die for and there was so much snow you could jump in in eveywhere you went (which the children did, constantly with great hillarity sometimes).

I then started to teach them all to ski, I have been going for a few years now and had so much fun teaching them. Her eldest son was a natural, he was like a fish in water and I had to keep a tight reign on him to make sure he was safe. The youngest son wasn't too keen on skiing so he spent most of his time burrowing in the snow and zooming down the sledging area on his little sledge they got for him. He had never seen snow before really and he was mesmerised by it.

As the week went on they started to get more confident on ski's and we started to explore the mountains, some of the ski runs we did where just breath taking, tree lined, perfect snow and a view that has to be seen to be believed. My freind and her husband would take it in turns to come out with me while the other one looked after the little one, and it was brilliant spending time with both of them and of course the 15 year old who by this time was zipping up and down the runs.

I will never forget the experience of riding on a chair lift with them, it was so peaceful and we could talk which was lovelly, we even saw horses on the mountain as we where on the chair lifts, my freind loves horses and nearly jumped out to see them. She loved it and that made me feel wonderful.

New years eve was the most fantastic one I can ever remember. It had been snowing hard all day and it just kept going and going, we had been skiing earlier in the day and had to give up after a blizzard over took us. The town put on a lighted procession followed by a fireworks display over the mountain, to see that while it was sowing was trully unique, my freinds husband had a tear in hs eye it was so beutiful. I cant describe it with any justice, but every time a firework went off it lit the snow in the sky, it was just the most amazing thing ever. We then went out to a little hotel for a few drinks with the children, we where all rolling around in the snow on the way, i was covered and cant ever remember laughing so much. We got pizza on the way back and stopped to go sledging for a while, snowball fights and all. The pizza was freezing by the time we got back but it was just like being a child again so we didnt mind a little bit. We had fizzy wine in the fridge and we ate the pizza and drank that. At midnight the place just errupted, we went outside and there where loads of people letting off fireworks and singing in the snow, we all stood on the balcony shouting happy new year in french. After a few more drinks it was suddenly 4am and we collpased into bed happy.

New years day was a bit subdued at first, we where all feeling a bit worse for wear from the night before, but we had to go skiing, the sun was shining and the snow looked perfect. I took my freind on her first run of the day and the chairlift was magical, the trees where covered and it was perfect. On the way down she got a bit nervous and we had to sit down for a bit, she was emotional from the whole experience and I was hugging her to reasure her. I then looked up and couldn't believe my eyes, comming down the mountain was 2 totally naked men on skis (it was about -6 deg c) I told my freind to look and she and me burst out laughing at the site of 2 totally naked skiers who zipped by us, it cured her nerves. They must have been bloody cold on the chairlift, thats all I can say

As with all good things it was soon the last day, we had had the most brilliant time ever and we wanted to get the most out of the last day. I was skiing with her husband and older son and we had bombed down the mountain to try and get on the last lift before they shut. We just managed it, they closed the gate 3 people after us. We got back to the top and it was almost deserted, just us and three other skiers. We got one of them to take a photo of us, its a brilliant photo. The last run was just heaven, three boys playing in the snow pretending to be James Bond and the sun going down on the mountains was just awesome. We took our time comming down, having a laugh, doing little tricks and generally being boys.

Then it was time to come home, everyone was feeling upset at the though of it and I was no exception. I had just spent the most amazing week with a famlly and we had grown very close in that short space of time, I was starting to miss them already. One night her 8 year old had pilled cushions on me and we had a 1/2 hour play fight which was so much fun (needless to say he won lol). I was going to miss that and I knew it.

We left at 10am on saturday morning, we had to get back to Cuneo by 3.45pm in order to catch the flight home. It took hours, it took us an hour just to get out of the resort as the roads where just mayhem. Mountain roads are not the easiest to navigate normally but with the bad weather a few days before there was quite a bit of snow and ice still, so it was a very slow drive. Needless to say we started to get worried if we would make it in time, it was stresfull, we made it with 45 minutes to spare, it was supposed to be a 3 hour trip. The flight home was a quiet affair. I was very close to tears for most of it and just burried myself in loud music to try and not let it get the better of me.

So we got back to Birmingham and I had to say good bye, it was heart breaking to let them go, but at the same time it was so sweet, we had all become close and none of us wanted it to end. I have never felt so close to a group of people as I did to them at that moment.

Im sat at home now, weve been in touch a fair bit over the last couple of days and were all sad but happy that we got to share such a brilliant experience. I miss them so much at the moment, but I know I will see them again soon, and the photos are brilliant.

Ah I hear you ask, why is this such an amazing story, you just went on holiday with a bunch of freinds, whats amazing about that. Well when we met just over a year ago, we where both tottally suicidal and in a really bad place. We both needed support and we gave that to each other, to the point where it became a sexual relationship (breifly). Were both married and we both confessed and asked our partners to forgive us and allow us to be the freinds we really wanted to be. They did that and over the last year we have gone from that place to one where we can all go on holiday together as freinds, have a brilliant time and know that it is possible to be close to someone else without having to go to bed. Her husband has totally forgiven me for that and we are now the best of friends. My wife talks to my freind often and she has helped me to be a better husband to my wife (who hates skiing and let me go on my own with them). The conventional thng to do would have been to stop talking to each other, break the bond and loose the thing we both desperatley needed - unconditional love. But we chose not to be all or nothing, we chose to strive for the middle ground and whilst it has been hard and painful at times, we have achieved it. I got the expereince I have always craved and she got to do something new. She told me while we where there that she felt alive again. From suicidal to amazing experience in a year, 2009 is going to be a good year, I just know it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

wow that an amazing story...

im so happy for you that things worked out.Its so good you can still be so close after being together and have not let that affect your friendship....im looking for that middle ground myself so its nice to no it exists!

good luck with everything

xxx

thats amazing and im so glad that you can have come through all that and been able to remain friends you are truly blessed :)

really glad that you both had such a wonderful time

xxx

Archived