Mental Health Forums

Is It Possible?

Ocean Wolf

Is it possible that the drugs I used to be on have damaged my brain? I know I used to emotional before, but since the drugs, my control over my emotions got worse. I mean, I has temper tantrums as a kid and I was still eccentric, but is it possible that the drugs made it worse?

I was on risperdal, effexor (for a few days... that was a nigthmare), celexa, cipralex, fluphenazine and cogentin, and zyprexa.

dont know about those drugs specifically but i do know that some can have an irreversible effect on your brain, lithium has killed my memory and i will never get it back the same and there are even simple words that i just cant think of anymore (ive always been highly articulate and enjoy using long words to confuse people) i once forgot the name for a spoon. i even have to think about my own name sometimes and basic details. some drugs when targeting neurotransmitters sever the connection, and once severed can often not be reformed. (cant remember where i read that but it was a few diff papers)

would it be worth talking to your doctor about the exact way the drugs work and finding out any possible permanent effects. sorry cant be much help

xxx

Hi Ocean Wolf,

Knowing a dosage figure for each can help us compare effects, which will all be different in any case.

Did you take all of those together?

Risperidone 1 mg daily (not a mis-type - 1 mg) is one of my favourite drugs, it helps my visual memory moderately.

Another time I took one of the others on your list (under its English name) at a high dose and it was bad for me.

As related in this forum some effects have lasted years and some have worn off in months.

Archived