Mental Health Forums

Had A Bad Dream And Trying Not To Freak

Roses

the buzzing is here and I'm starting to see the shadows. Dream was awful and scary and am like bunny in lights. Don't know if I should wake hubbie or leave him he has work and has been up quite a bit with me lately.

thank u Mavis, you are a star for answering me. xxxxxx Have all lights on and relaxation CD on quietly. I really thought I was past the dreams but last few nights have been constant and awful. Guess brain started trying to process stuff again. There was attic room (like on Johnathan Creek which freaked me out) and I was up there, then I was running and running as fast as I could to get back downstairs to hubbie and I was absolutely terrified. This repeated itself loads of times and the last time a I neared bottom of stairs there was someone there staring at me and I didn't make it to hubbie as I woke up.

roses, i am sorry about your dreams, i get them too and hate them. when i have been stronger and brave i have faced them sort fo fronted them off and nothing ever happened. As you know it is a dream but feels so real and you feel trapped and with me i have no ability. I HATE THEM. what about a warm drink of some kind. I usually get up like now if I feel crap and come on here or watch a terrible dvd really cheesy one but makes me feel better. You are safe and everything at home is normal. x and you are welcome.

Roses -

How you feeling now? I can so relate to the bad (nightmare) dreams. Do you find

that you get them more when you are feeling stressed or anxious? I usually have

to get up and watch tv, try to distract myself until i fall back to sleep. Do you keep

a dream journal?

Marchmadness

Had them all my life. Started with really bad ones in teens and did keep journal for a bit. I get them where the dream slips into reality and actually think u r awake and you r screaming for help but no-one can hear you. Then a bit later you actually wake up - it's terrifying.

Hi Roses,

How are you now? just saw your post.

I also have very bad dreams, the ones that freak me out are the vivid dreams I have of dying.

Do you have deep breathing excersises? My councillor gave me some to do when I wake in a panic after a bad dream. I guess when you wake up you kind of are in like a state of a panic attack of some sort. Have you tried lucid dreaming before? It's harder in a nightmare but when you have normal dreams and you realise you're dreaming you can control what happens in your dream and once you practise it enough in normal dreams and get better at it then in a nightmare you can change things. you wake up with an incredible feeling of control and power.

if you need more information just let me know.

:)

lucid dreaming is like, when your ina state between being asleep and being awake.

So, you are aware of being semi-awake but you are still dreaming at the same time.

and normally when your brain realises this completely, you wake up..normally quite suddenly.

I know it sounds really corny but, if you hang a dream catcher either above your head or above your feet, it will calm your dreams down.

and it works! it works really well for me.

When i dont have one, i tend to get disturbing dreams..like the weird skin dream i had when i fell asleep on the sofa the other day *shudder*

rry buying one! or you can make one, they are so easy, i make them all the time.

Just ask and ill tell you how, if you want to lol

xx :lol: xx

Archived