Mental Health Forums

Eating Disorder?

xHx

Ok i've always been overwieght but a couple of years ago it got a bit out of hand,i ended up being about 3 stone overwieght. which is depressing and having to go to school everyday and facing people feeling like a great fat shit didnt make things better. but then last summer i got myself back down to roughly a stone overweight and then for a few months i was drifting about this mark but now im back at college and ive got loads of food left over from christmas and i just cant stop eating it, i tell tell myself "no, im not going to eat anything else i dont feel hungry i dont need the food etc" but eat it anyway, to the piont where i feel sick and even then i eat more i cant seem to break the habit and its going to get out of hand again if i dont stop purging and binging but i just cant find the motivation to get myself going again, im a lazy shit and cant be bothered t do excersice because even when i lost that bt of wieght i didnt enjy the excersice so i just stopped and i dont know what to do . . . .

Does this sound like an eating disorder?

Or is it just normal yo-yo-ing?

Ok i've always been overwieght but a couple of years ago it got a bit out of hand,i ended up being about 3 stone overwieght. which is depressing and having to go to school everyday and facing people feeling like a great fat shit didnt make things better. but then last summer i got myself back down to roughly a stone overweight and then for a few months i was drifting about this mark but now im back at college and ive got loads of food left over from christmas and i just cant stop eating it, i tell tell myself "no, im not going to eat anything else i dont feel hungry i dont need the food etc" but eat it anyway, to the piont where i feel sick and even then i eat more i cant seem to break the habit and its going to get out of hand again if i dont stop purging and binging but i just cant find the motivation to get myself going again, im a lazy shit and cant be bothered t do excersice because even when i lost that bt of wieght i didnt enjy the excersice so i just stopped and i dont know what to do . . . .

Does this sound like an eating disorder?

Or is it just normal yo-yo-ing?

Im afraid i cant give an informative reply, because I would actually like to know myself. I find if its there i eat it, so i just stopped buying food shopping (still don't), i just buy it as i need it if im hungry i'll go buy a sandwich or a salad or something.... but i go from one extreme to the other i'll go a few weeks eating practically nothing, maybe a sandwich, 2 or 3 packs of crisp a week (making myself feel the hunger) to eating waaay to much...so my weight goes up and down badly my wardrobe sizes go from a 10 to a 16.

I think you need to stop when ur eating and just think "am i hungry" imagine all the food that is already in your stomach...visualise it..may help you know when its time to put the fork down.

X

im a bulimic which means i ourge alot abd its usually after a binge but binge eating in itself is a type of eating disorder hoe that helps take care xxx

comfort eating is not an eating disorder binge eating is consuming thousands of calories in a short amount of time like lets say you sit down and eat a large pizza as well as two more courses in an hour a ridiculouse amount of food untill your stomach cant take anymore and it hurts

Jades ~ Comfort eating personally to me is what you have explained that is how i see it, others may disagree but comfort eating to me is inducing a large amount of food & not being able to stop so i do class it as an eating disorder - Most people i know who comfort eat also do this

I can relate to your post I have had this problem and for me I was diagnosed with binge eating disorder.

Personally I think it does sound like you have some problems there and I think it doesnt matter if it would be classed as a disorder or not the point is it is causing you trouble and interfering with your daily life and wellbeing and health and that is enough reason I think to go and look for help with this. What do you think??

Lilly

oh sorry then maybe you should seek some councelling cause this cant be good for you mentally or phsyically unless ur ok with it i dont want to tell you what to do

I didn't explain it very well and for that i am sorry, i guess the proper name for it is binge eating but i like to call it comfort eating same thing really (we'll to me anyways) I don't have this by the way so i don't need any help for it lol it's just what comfort eating means to me personally

i think at the moment im binge eating and its related to my depression and i can feel it getting out of control, like i'll see the sandwhich my mum made for me before she went to work and i wont even be hungry and ill think to myself "i dont NEED the sandwhich, im not hungry and i shouldnt eat it . . . etc" and what do i do i'll go and eat it i'll also eat the crisps that are in the cupbord then i'll have a load of biscuits with my tea and when im out and walk past greggs i'll buy a cake and eat it just because it was there

before ive had the motivation to excersice (no matter how much i hate excersicing) and diet and all that stuff but this time round i have nothng to motivate me so im just getting bigger and bigger and i cant stop myself

gaining a lot of weight or losing a lot of weight is a classic symptom of depression and doesn't mean you have an eating disorder. Two can co-exist but can have one without other.

Hi,

Imho I'd reckon the purging, "eating till I feel sick then carrying on" and that type of behaviour are either an ED, or at the very least the beginning of one.

Feeling out of control around food is the biggie.......whether you eat it all, don't eat any, or my speciality was covering food in washing up so I didn't eat it. But it all points to a problem with food and eating = ED.

Does that make sense ? All sounds a bit , well, you know. I might be talking total ****.....

((((((hugs))))))) Sapphy xx

ps the washing up liquid didn't work, so don't try it. Tastes soapy......

... i can feel it getting out of control, like i'll see the sandwhich my mum made for me before she went to work and i wont even be hungry and ill think to myself "i dont NEED the sandwhich, im not hungry and i shouldnt eat it . . . etc" and what do i do i'll go and eat it i'll also eat the crisps that are in the cupbord then i'll have a load of biscuits with my tea and when im out and walk past greggs i'll buy a cake and eat it just because it was there ...

I've been like that on & off all my life around food - but didn't purge though.

Please note exercise ISN'T an issue in this connection, despite the propoganda.

If you are out & about you are exercising.

i do feel uncontrollable around food but i am rather proud of myself today as i was in a shop with my friend and i didnt buy anything! it was great but then i came home and ate about half a 400g bar of chocolate and then ate these white chocolate crunchy things and had my dinner inbetween so that wasnt so good and i seem to be doing these things everyday and im really scared that i wont be able to stop myself as i have no motivation to force my self to stop eating but then im also thinking that this is linked in with my depression and im eating because im depressed but then the last couple of days i havnt felt that depressed but ive still eaten loads

Getting home and stuffing food down as fast as you can - in my case in the car driving home from buying food - it's so horrid, but you have no choice, you have to do it, right now. You have no control, you can't say yes or no, their is no choice. And it has to be all of it, whatever is there.

You certainly do sound like you need to speak to someone. It is so hard to get a handle on it on your own, and it is so damned scary. I spent two years learning how to throw up,hence anorexia, could not do it, and when I could, if I thought I'd missed a morsel I would carry on and on and on. You must try to stop yourself going down this route, cos it is so addictive. And so painful, and sooooo dangerous.

Can u talk to your GP ?? Sapphy x

ps just remembered I used to binge on whole boxes of cereal when I came home from school (early teens) = getting very fat= comments= learning an ED....

im going to make an appointment to see a Dr soon about my depression and this because i can feel it getting out of hand so im going to have a proper chat with my mum and see what she thinks then make an appiontment to see a Dr anyway and take it from there really.

thing is i go from one end to the other, one week i'll be eating oads like non stop and then the next week i'll be forcing myself to eat hardly anything at all and then i'll just go back to eating loads again and it just goes in a cycle

xHx

Really pleased you are going to get help.......let us know how you get on ! The sooner you stop the cycle, the easier it will be. Ed's are evil, and they suck you in.

Good luck !! Sapphy xxx

Really pleased you are going to get help.......let us know how you get on ! The sooner you stop the cycle, the easier it will be. Ed's are evil, and they suck you in.

Good luck !! Sapphy xxx

Thanks, im not quite sure when im going to see the Dr i really want to talk to my mum abut because i dont relly know how to go about it but i havnt found th right time to talk to her about it, she seems really stressed out at the moment so i dont know when im going to get there but hopefully i'll be able to get an appiontment within the next couple of weeks, i jjust feel it all getting out of controll and i have nothing there to make me want to sort it out, its like i want to be fat, because when this has happened before i've stopped it and bought myself back down again but now i just dont care and cant force myself to do anything about it ahhhhhhhhh but anyways im going to see what i can do about the Drs i have alot to talk about.

xHx

i am diagnsed ENOS which is eating disorder not otherwise specified.. heres it explained..

"

This category is frequently used for people who meet some, but not all, of the diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa. For example, a person who shows almost all of the symptoms of anorexia nervosa, but who still has a normal menstrual cycle and/or body mass index, can be diagnosed with EDNOS. A sufferer may experience episodes of binging and purging, but may not do so frequently enough to warrant a diagnosis of bulimia nervosa. A person may also engage in binging episodes without the use of inappropriate compensatory behaviors; this is referred to as binge eating disorder.

People diagnosed with EDNOS may frequently switch between different eating disorders, or may with time fit all diagnostic criteria for anorexia or bulimia.

People who eat a normal amount of food, but become exceedingly obsessed with healthy eating, or strictly categorize normal foods or entire food groups as "safe" and "off-limits", may be referred to as having orthorexia. However, this diagnosis is not formally accepted by the psychiatric community.

[edit] DSM-IV CRITERIA

The EDNOS category include disorders that do not meet the criteria for a specific eating disorder. Each one of the following disorders is an example:

For females, all of the criteria for anorexia nervosa are met except that the individual has regular menses.

All of the criteria for anorexia nervosa are met except that, despite substantial weight loss, the individual's current weight is in the normal range.

All of the criteria for bulimia nervosa are met except that binge eating and inappropriate compensatory mechanisms occur at a frequency of less than twice a week or for a duration of less than 3 months.

The regular use of inappropriate compensatory behavior by an individual of normal body weight after eating small amounts of food (eg; self-induced vomiting after the consumption of two cookies).

Repeatedly chewing and spitting out, but not swallowing, large amounts of food.

Binge eating disorder: recurrent episodes of binge eating in the absence of the regular use of inappropriate compensatory behaviors characteristic of bulimia nervosa.

(wikipedia)

its good youve posted i hope you get some support with your food issies and there are many of us here with food probs.. i swing between long bouts of restriction/ anorexia and then bouts of binging and im in a bad binging cycle atm

hugs faerie x

i can relate to you.

i do the same thing.

i eat and eat an eat but i dont want to eat it.

then i feel guilty.

and im huge, and it wont go.

have you been checked for PCOS? poly-cystic ovary syndrome?

i have this and apparently it makes oyu eat a lot, and it makes you really tired aswell so you dont enjoy exercise and it makes you pur on a lot of weight.

look it up.

its quite common-ish.

I just wanted to wish you luck seeking help....

I am technically EDNOS also, although it's a bit of a transition for me from having been treated for EDs earlier on.

The point is that the eating is causing you distress...and that's good enough reason to ask someone for support.

x

You know, I often think life would be so much easier if I could just take a pill three times a day like astronaughts (sp??) allegedly do. The trouble is - you simply have to eat to live, so you cannot avoid food, like you can alcohol and stuff.

A bummer, eh ? Sapphy xxxx

You know, I often think life would be so much easier if I could just take a pill three times a day like astronaughts (sp??) allegedly do. The trouble is - you simply have to eat to live, so you cannot avoid food, like you can alcohol and stuff.

A bummer, eh ? Sapphy xxxx

Do you think these pills come in chocolate? :P

God I hope so......that'd be it wouldn't it - one pill= 500 cals or whatever, and there we are chewing the whole lot at once.

Maybe I better go back to the drawing board on that one ....an everlasting toffee perhaps ???

Hugs, Sapph xxx

Archived