Mental Health Forums

Lamotrigine- More Than 1 Use?

floralora

i have epilepsy (amongst other things) and have been taking lamotrigine for it for the last 9 years or so. in the details i get with my monthly script, all it tells me is how it stops seizures.

so i was surprised when i recently discovered that it is also used to treat some forms of depression, as it also a mood stabiliser. i also find it a little strange as i have been taking it for so long, yet my depression has only gotten worse over the years!

i was wondering if anyone takes lamotrigine (also known as lamictal) as an antidepressant and if it helps?

Hi, Lamotragine is also a mood stabalizer for people with bipolar disorder, namely as a preventative maintaince treatment against bipolar depression. It also helps people with borderline personality disorder though there is not much research into this. If lamotragine has worked for your depression in the past and it doesn't now its ok. This is common for medication to work for weeks, months or years and then no longer works. I don't know if you have unipolar or bipolar depression but it is worth talking to your doctor about possibly adding an antidepressant or another mood stablizer if your depression is not working. Also try excersise.

yup, its not the only one too i was on sodium valproate (epilim) which is for epilepsy but also used as a mood stabilizer. mood stabilizers may not help depression unless its bipolar so that could explain why your depression has got worse

xxx

funny you should say that, rael. i was on epilim when i was first diagnosed with epilepsy, and i started having these strange moods- although my epilepsy was perfectly controlled. i was taken off it because i put on loads of weight, which is apparently a common side effect. not long after that, i ran away from home and started self harming

I've been on lamotragine for a year now, and it has pulled me out of a severe bipolar depression.It's also supposed to stop the slide back into dep again.... Could it be that the dose is different. I'm on 200mg a day atm.

Hope that helps, Sapphy xxx

i dont know what the highest dose they giv as a mood stabalizer is but for epilepsy im close to the highest dose. i take 600mg/day x

So technically I should be pulling you up then ??? I would have a word with your psych, cos you might benefit from a straight anti-dep. I guess the fact that I am lso on 2 anti-d's could be the answer ???

((((((((hugs)))))))))) Sapphy xx

Archived