Mental Health Forums

Sick Of Panic Attacks And Dissociation

Hayz

my dad asked me to go shopping with him at tesco i was ok with it at first but then started to feel a bit panicy as i was getting ready thats normal for me as ive sufferd with panic attacks for around 8 years now. Got to tesco got out the car felt okish then went into the shop and said to dad * i cant do this* he said *its ok just keep trying* i said * ok* so walked on a little further and nearly broke down crying i told dad i cant do it so he walked me outside where i phoned my mum up to collect me and take me to hers. I felt so awful on dad because he had to do all the shopping on his own :( i dont like to see him stuggle like that hes already struggling as it is with money as he needs new car and my eldest cat needs a operation to fix his bowels :( bless him! but back to tesco.... i felt drunk :huh: hadnt even touched any alcohol how odd think it might be dissociation maybe has to be ? pysch has said i do suffer with it but to me i didnt think it was bad up untill today :( what can i do... cbt was to hard for me it got to the point where i was nearly commiting suicide... counselling is hard i have trouble getting there because of my panic attacks what the hell can i do ? so sick of it!

I'm sorry to hear this. As you probably know I get this and can't go anywhere on my own without MP3 player and now I can hardly even manage that. Went into Asda today and broke into tears on hubbie's shoulder with my 2 kids looking on and asking him why I was crying. I've been advised to just keep on trying and eventually you'll find something or somehow to move past it. Just hang on in there and don't feel guilty, I'm sure your Dad understands. The fact that you live near your parents and call them and they help you is such a bonus for you. We are 100 miles from inlaws and 200 from my parents and we really feel it. My thoughts are with you and if you want to talk about it I am here for a bit. Your friend xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi I too suffer like this. I rarely go out alone, but i keep trying too. I get in the shop then that's my lot I have to turn around and run out. I have a very understanding husband (my full time carer) so he is in charge of the shopping now. It's easy to give in, but i know i must keep trying.

Take care

Amanda x

hun you tried, and ok it didnt go well but be proud of yourself for getting as far as you did. does your doctors have any counseling at the surgery, would that be any closer and a little easier to get to? what about mental health support, cpn and stuff? as your doctor knows you suffer from dissociation and panic attack could you let them know whats going on, if its causing this much trouble then maybe they could consider changing medication or adjusting the dose of anything you have now. im glad your parents helped and im sure your dad understands.

xxx

hun you tried, and ok it didnt go well but be proud of yourself for getting as far as you did. does your doctors have any counseling at the surgery, would that be any closer and a little easier to get to? what about mental health support, cpn and stuff? as your doctor knows you suffer from dissociation and panic attack could you let them know whats going on, if its causing this much trouble then maybe they could consider changing medication or adjusting the dose of anything you have now. im glad your parents helped and im sure your dad understands.

xxx

i think my doctors surgery does have a counsellor because when im in waiting room waiting to see the doctor i see a sign saying counsellor maybe ill look into it :) thanks

Keep trying. The more you do it, the easier it will get. As you are walking around Tesco, don't focus on how you are feeling, instead look at the different products on the shelves and notice what colour they are. Or look into other people's trolleys and think about what they are buying! If you distract yourself it should make it easier.

Also, it would be worth going back to a doctor or psychiatrist to see if they can do anything with your medication to relieve some of the anxiety.

Archived