Mental Health Forums

Finally Quitting Drinking

jades

i know ive told yall how i binge drink to satisfy my bulmia since i got put on topomax but no more im quitting drinking spent lmost all day in bed trying to avoid drinking im not really eaing much yet but i really want to stop anyonelse gone thru this?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive been trying to stop drinking for a lonf time. i relapse alot.

right noiw it's been almost three weeks since my last binge. the real problem is that i stopped smoking weed a month ago and that was really all that was keeping me stable. i gave up cigarettes on new year though and that made me feel posative for a while.

now im hooked on espresso and redbull. but i spose you cant win them all.

good luck thought really. i hope you do well

i know ive told yall how i binge drink to satisfy my bulmia since i got put on topomax but no more im quitting drinking spent lmost all day in bed trying to avoid drinking im not really eaing much yet but i really want to stop anyonelse gone thru this?

I don't have bulimia, but I do overeat and have a problem with my drinking.

Best of luck with quitting.

i have eating probs and had drinking probs for ages, managed to stop drinking (mostly). try to keep as distracted as you can play random online games, talk to people, look up silly sites, read, watch tv/dvd. its hard hun but you can do it.

xxx

take each day as it comes jade...you can do it.proud of you

xxxx

am quitting drinking. binged every day bar about 10 last year. am supposed to be 'cutting down' to a safe level rather than giving up altogether. have managed to not drink 10 days in january which doesnt sound much but its a big deal to me. im finding my binges very out of control on days i do drink, so may have to give up altogether. am replacing alcohol with redbull and coffee and sweet food... not ideal, but gotta be better than being wasted every evening! i dont have alcohol in the house on my no drinking days else i will drink it. have you got any support for quitting? im seeing a drugs/ alcohol person through the nhs. very helpful. good luck

Hey Jades, ( should I put this in ED ??)

I used alcohol in bulimic binges too - and boy did i put on weight !!! Three stone by the end of that infatuation. Try not to mix the two, cos it all goes horribly wrong. I don't know what to advise really, other than I only drink (moderately) at the weekend, and am not bulimic most of the time any more. Sounds real boring, but alcohol for me was an addicition that got me away from who I really was..... now I know who I am I guess I'm not so scared any more.

Not much help, but sending you huge hugs anyway,

Sapphy xxxx

Hi jades,

I'm a borderline alcoholic(among other things), so I know what it's like to have a drinking prob. well done trying to quit!!!! :)

I wish you the very best of luck with it. my bf wants me to quit but other than sh it's the other release I have.

i don't have bulmia, but sometimes I don't eat. so i guess i know where you're coming from with that,

hang in there!

hugs

I have 3 days clean and sober , Yes drinking and drugging is huge part of my disorder - hard to stop but it is possible , good for you for trying to quit . Let me know if I can help and support you in anyway at all.

Good luck Jades! Are you quitting all drinking or just binge drinking? Either way, I know you can do it although I am sure it will be very difficult. We are here to support you.

xxx

Hey Jades -

Trying to stop drinking on your own can be extremely difficult. Let the people on the

site here support you. Have you thought about going to an AA meeting? The people

there are really supportive and do understand what it is like to want to stop.

Marchmadness

i failed im sorry yall i feel so bad but i did manage toonly drink 3 beers instead of 12 but stillfeel like a failure sorry

i did try aa for two months strait earlier but the members kept refering to themselve a crazy and it really pissed me off too much so i had to leave before i showed then crazy

((((((((((((((((((((Jades !!! )))))))))))))))))))))))

Isn't that a small victory - think about it hun....... 3 instead of 12, yup I think that's real good. Cutting down slowly is probably the best way to do it, cos going cold turkey, it's just so easy to say "bollocks" and not try.

Sending you lots of love - you have not failed, you are heading in the right direction !!!!

Sapphy xxx

thats not so bad hun its way better than 12 so you did really well :)

you def not failed hun like sapphire said you heading in the right direction.

take care

xxx

jades: Jan 18 2009, 08:20 AM

jades: Jan 18 2009, 09:02 PM:

i failed im sorry yall i feel so bad but i did manage toonly drink 3 beers instead of 12 but stillfeel like a failure sorry

jades: Jan 18 2009, 10:34 PM:

i did try aa for two months strait earlier but the members kept refering to themselve a crazy and it really pissed me off too much so i had to leave before i showed then crazy

Chin up and tense down, dear Jades. You identified, attempted and

partly succeeded in managing a life long change. You CAN do it!

So, why do you think it didn't work? How could you better have

planned and implemented your goal, your life long change?

How could you have made living better work better for you?

wll i have manged even when set off to stick to 3 beers so ts a small victory and it wasnt as hard as going cold turkey. i guess t will help me thru my issues better than drinking them away will i have it every week now i just met her so havent opend up totaly thanks for the ? s made me think xxxxxx

Cutting down like that is a big step Jades. I did this when I quit smoking. Cut down and down and down until there was no point. I had got over the physical addiction only had the habit left and I kicked that right down the stairs, through the kitchen, out the back door and all the way up the friggin' street!!! Bye bye smoking!!!! You will do the same with the drink sweetie. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

good luck with quitting jades. I struggle with bingeing and vomiting (last Sunday was my last binge and vomit day) and drinking (sobriety date 2nd January). I know how tough it is.

good luck

nuclearwinter x

just wanted to say well done! like all addicitions it's better to cut back slowly and replace it with something else, gradually, rather than bash yourself over the head, (so to speak not litterally) because you gave in to an urge that has been controlling you. gotta get control back slowly.

i'm also cutting back. i had 2 beers last night, instead of 12. so I think I did ok, the hard part will come when i'm feeling like crap and want to get pissed to lift my mood. but you, You go GIRL!

Archived