Mental Health Forums

Chlorpromazine

charisma82

Has anyone had any side effects when taking Chlorpromazine?

I have OCD, which I've had since I was a child. Started Fluoxitine last Feb 08, but stopped after a couple of weeks.

I went back to GP in in October 08 and was put back on Fluoxitine. Didn't really make much of a difference.

I was later prescribed Chlorpromazine, when I told GP that I was having problems sleeping.

Shortly after taking Chlorpromazine, I couldn't get the image of cutting myself out of my head. I eventually begain cutting myself at the beginning of Dec 08. Something which I have never done before. I felt restless all the time, couldn't sit still and having nose bleeds. At this time I did not recognise the link between taking Chlorpromazine and SH.

I went back to my GP and told him about the Self-harming. He referred me to the Crisis Team, who continued to prescribe me Chlorpromazine. During the time that I was taking Chlorpro, I continued to have nose bleeds, feeling restless and having the urge to cut myself. It seemed like I was constantly at A&E receiving treatment for SH.

I SH at work on 19/12/08, stupid I know. I was in a disassociated state at the time. Since I have not taken the drug, the urge to SH has subsided. I still think about it, but I think that because I SH over several weeks every second day, it kind of became apart of my thoughts.

There are other SSRI's they could possibly try, such as paroxetine, zoloft. Have you ever tried clomipramine? That is not an SSRI but has been found to be effective for OCD.

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken it in the past, a low dose (no more than 50mg a day) can be benificial. But while I was hospitalised they wacked it up to 200mg a day, and it basically turned me into a zombie, my family fortunately complained about it, and when I got out of hospital I got myself off it. I gained 3 stone in weight too! I would never takeit again.

although i havent had that i wanted to reply because i had a similar experience on olanzapine. i began losing large chunks of time and coming round having cut badly. it was terrifying and i honestly didnt know what i was capable of in this state, it was even happening at work. to start with the doctor told me to change the time i took it but things got much much worse and it was bringing on more psychotic episodes than normal. my doctor when he found out some things (some scared me too much to even tell him, i was convinced i would be locked up - in hindsight i probably would have been) he stopped them immediately.

im glad that since coming off it the urge has subsided for you, it is really scary.

xxx

Thanks for replying.

At least i no longer feel like im going crazy.

Like i said I stopped taking chlorpromazine, but the weird thing was that when I stopped it i kind of missed it, side effects and all. I had a boxed left and as I wasn't hardly sleeping due to stress from being medically suspended from work, I began taking it again. Hate going to GP. fucking hopeless pricks.

Big mistake.

Over a week ago i felt so suicidal. All i could think about was how i was gonna end it, when, where and how.

Cut radial artery on my left wrist and tried. couldnt quite manage to do the other. Not pleasant to say the least. At least I don't remember the act of cutting. Did it in the park. It was freezing that afternoon. went under a shelter. Found by some street wardens. One of them threw up. Had an op to stitch the artery. Discharged myself two days later.

Bitch nurse told me that if I were to walk out without being speaking to someone, then I could be sectioned. Yeah right. Let them try.

I feel semi alright, just dont want to have any contact with crisis team or docs. Lets hope that this is all behide me and there is no repercussions.

xxx

Thanks for replying.

At least i no longer feel like im going crazy.

Like i said I stopped taking chlorpromazine, but the weird thing was that when I stopped it i kind of missed it, side effects and all. I had a boxed left and as I wasn't hardly sleeping due to stress from being medically suspended from work, I began taking it again. Hate going to GP. fucking hopeless pricks.

Big mistake.

Over a week ago i felt so suicidal. All i could think about was how i was gonna end it, when, where and how.

Cut radial artery on my left wrist and tried. couldnt quite manage to do the other. Not pleasant to say the least. At least I don't remember the act of cutting. Did it in the park. It was freezing that afternoon. went under a shelter. Found by some street wardens. One of them threw up. Had an op to stitch the artery. Discharged myself two days later.

Bitch nurse told me that if I were to walk out without being speaking to someone, then I could be sectioned. Yeah right. Let her try.

I feel semi alright, just dont want to have any contact with crisis team or docs. Lets hope that this is all behide me and there is no repercussions.

xxx

Hi Charisma,

Just wanted to see how you are this week? Hoping you're not in quite as much pain today. x

ps not really relevant but I'm on chlorpromazine too - 100mg when I feel the need - it makes me feel faint but I feel like I want to keep taking it.

Hi Charisma,

Just wanted to see how you are this week? Hoping you're not in quite as much pain today. x

ps not really relevant but I'm on chlorpromazine too - 100mg when I feel the need - it makes me feel faint but I feel like I want to keep taking it.

Hi spaceriot

Thanks for responding.

Im feeling alright, watever alright is.

Still on medical suspension from work. Dont no wat is going on. Its the not knowing that is pissing me off. Would love nothing more than to sh, but trying my best not too.

How r feeling today. Hows ur week been? I cdnt imagine taking 100mg of Chlorpromazine. I was only on 25mg per day and cdnt handle that.

Take care x

it was the first AP to make my heart beat funny and I have been on all the APs except for the obscure older ones and clozapine and I might be booking a suite in hotel clozapine very soon

good luck with it

nukey x

Really glad to hear you're a bit better - if that's possibly anywhere close to the right words. Yeah I've had an ok week I suppose. Was worried about Valentine's day as I'm rubbish at that kind of thing and my hubby and I always end up arguing about emotional stuff. But we both got food poisoning the night before at a restaurant so we ended up having soup in bed and then falling asleep immediately after so although it was a crap day, we didn't end up arguing that night I suppose.

Yeah the pills knock me out, I try not to take them but it's either get KO'd by them and struggle to look after my baby, or SH and look after her fine but then get told off by everyone for SHing. So what ya gonna do hey, typical story - do this and you're wrong, do that and you're wrong too. I'm sure you know the drill.

I just realised I wrote 100mg, it's actually 50mg (that's 2 tablets). I was thinking they were 50mg but they're 25mg aren't they. Yeah, imagine 100mg - wow that'd knock me out for sure! 50mg makes me feel lightheaded like I'm gonna faint.

I was really pissed off this morning actually. The other day I got some Mefenamic Acid from the GP for bad period pains, and she prescribed me 100 pills which pissed me off cos she obviously didn't know I was a suicide threat which it says all over my notes. Anyway, I got the pills and took the right amount for a few days but they barely helped the pain (it's been bad since my baby) so I thought I'd take some more just for the hell of it... because they're there... because that's what I do. So I took some this morning (I'm fine) and then thought this is stupid so phoned my CPN to ask her to come and get them off me. I phoned and she was on annual leave (thanks for telling me) and I asked to speak to someone else and the woman on the phone asked what I was calling about. I said "I want to speak to someone about some painkillers" and she said, "I think you're better off speaking to your GP, don't you? Alright?"

So I said - "umm... oh, yeah ok then?" and she said "ok bye bye..." - so I'd tried to do a good deed and the stupid department with the stupid CPN on stupid annual leave with the stupid thick receptionist on the phone to me asking about PAINKILLERS (Helloooooo????!!!!!) told me to fuck off.

Fuck off too, bitch.

But anyway, I'm now trying to tidy the house for family visitors tomorrow so am 5 rooms away from the pills - so it's all good.

Really glad to hear you're a bit better - if that's possibly anywhere close to the right words. Yeah I've had an ok week I suppose. Was worried about Valentine's day as I'm rubbish at that kind of thing and my hubby and I always end up arguing about emotional stuff. But we both got food poisoning the night before at a restaurant so we ended up having soup in bed and then falling asleep immediately after so although it was a crap day, we didn't end up arguing that night I suppose.

Yeah the pills knock me out, I try not to take them but it's either get KO'd by them and struggle to look after my baby, or SH and look after her fine but then get told off by everyone for SHing. So what ya gonna do hey, typical story - do this and you're wrong, do that and you're wrong too. I'm sure you know the drill.

I just realised I wrote 100mg, it's actually 50mg (that's 2 tablets). I was thinking they were 50mg but they're 25mg aren't they. Yeah, imagine 100mg - wow that'd knock me out for sure! 50mg makes me feel lightheaded like I'm gonna faint.

I was really pissed off this morning actually. The other day I got some Mefenamic Acid from the GP for bad period pains, and she prescribed me 100 pills which pissed me off cos she obviously didn't know I was a suicide threat which it says all over my notes. Anyway, I got the pills and took the right amount for a few days but they barely helped the pain (it's been bad since my baby) so I thought I'd take some more just for the hell of it... because they're there... because that's what I do. So I took some this morning (I'm fine) and then thought this is stupid so phoned my CPN to ask her to come and get them off me. I phoned and she was on annual leave (thanks for telling me) and I asked to speak to someone else and the woman on the phone asked what I was calling about. I said "I want to speak to someone about some painkillers" and she said, "I think you're better off speaking to your GP, don't you? Alright?"

So I said - "umm... oh, yeah ok then?" and she said "ok bye bye..." - so I'd tried to do a good deed and the stupid department with the stupid CPN on stupid annual leave with the stupid thick receptionist on the phone to me asking about PAINKILLERS (Helloooooo????!!!!!) told me to fuck off.

Fuck off too, bitch.

But anyway, I'm now trying to tidy the house for family visitors tomorrow so am 5 rooms away from the pills - so it's all good.

U did the right thing contacting cpn, although u had the misfortune of speaking with a total twat lol.

I avoid my gp like the plague since occupational health contacted them on my organisations behalf. I now feel that I can not be open with gp or any other health professional. I hate that they have written records about me. Paranoid I know...

Im glad u had an non-eventful time on valentine's day.

When is ur cpn back? Bet he/she is sunning it somewhere lol

U did the right thing contacting cpn, although u had the misfortune of speaking with a total twat lol.

I avoid my gp like the plague since occupational health contacted them on my organisations behalf. I now feel that I can not be open with gp or any other health professional. I hate that they have written records about me. Paranoid I know...

Im glad u had an non-eventful time on valentine's day.

When is ur cpn back? Bet he/she is sunning it somewhere lol

CPN's back from her secret little jaunt on Monday. She's gonna get a mouthful from me, knowing me and my mouth! I phoned again today as I am having serious thoughts of SH/suicide and I asked if she was back yet. She said she'll be back on monday but that the duty officer would phone me back. She phoned and asked if there was something in particular I wanted to talk about and I said that I was having a really bad day and didn't know what to do with myself and was finding it hard to resist pills and knives. I then burst into tears and jabbered a load of crap I don't really remember what exactly. Something about not being able to go on. She then said, "well it's a much warmer day outside, and you've probably been stuck indoors since the snow so go for a walk and I'll leave a message to tell your CPN you called today. OK then? Bye bye."

I've had it with these jerks. I spent the rest of the afternoon on the phone to samaritans trying to stay distracted. They were fantastic.

Archived