Mental Health Forums

Olanzapine/tegretol Side Effects?

Susanna

Just started on Olanzapine and Carbamazepine (tegretol) a week ago (already on Fluoxetine) and the side effects are a nightmare. I've been feeling sick (and actually been sick 3 times) got a tremor in my hands, muscle twitches and when I wake up in the morning my eyes are so swollen I look like I've been in a fight. I've also got loads of water retention. Is this normal? I was thinking it might pass as it does say on the side-effects list for Olanzapine that sickness can happen and will pass by itself?

Anyone else on these meds that can help?? Thanks x

i have never taken them so i cannot speak from experience. but i would say your side-effects are significant and you should DEFINITELY go see your doc about it. for reassurnce or to be taken off them. you must see someone about it you are being sick and having tremors that cant be good? or it may be normal. find out!!!

take care mate

hugs

lost

xx

Thanks Lostsoul and you're right I will see my doctor. Thing is, same old story...don't like to complain/be a nuisance lol. I'll go tomorrow though. This tremor makes typing a right pain in the arse though :wacko: :D

olanzipan was horrible for me but that was just my experience,like you i felt sick,had the shakes and bloody awful nihtmares,i think i would go back and see if they can come up with an alternative.

Definitely see your doc!

I don't know about those meds, but I'd advise looking in the official manual for medicines, by the BMA---libraries usually have it in the reference section. Its important cos they list the side effects that one should see the doctor about immediately. Or/and check them out on the internet.

My mum's has been on tegretol for trigeminal neuralgia for about 18 years nearly. (tho its likely a lower dose) The only side effects she has from that are that she gets very sleepy. I think it decreases her appetite too.

Good luck!

I had really dodgy side effects with Efexor the first week, but then they settled down. But it sounds like yours are more serious. Take care. And if its really horrible get down A and E!

Take care.

karie

Paddy, thanks... at least it isn't just me then! I'll give it a few more days and see how I go. The sickness seems to have gone and the tremors are going too, thank god.

And thanks for your advice Karie; I've looked up the side-effects and none of the ones I've had are on the 'serious' list but its better to be safe than sorry etc. I had a bad time on Effexor myself and when I came off them I had the worst withdrawals; palpitations and what's apparently called a 'brain shiver' where you feel like there's a current passing through your head, it was horrible! Anyway, glad they're working for you. Take care. x

i was on olanzapine a few years ago. the only side effect i had was that i put on 2 stone in 6 weeks! :o:o came off it when i just COULD NOT stop eating. i would literally have breakfast, then feel hungry. not nice

Thanks Karie.

Pinky I had the same problem with Mirtazipine - in 4 months I gained almost 2 stones and I never felt full, constantly starving and thinking about food, so I know what you mean. The first week or two it was great because I'd spent years being underweight and having to force myself to eat, plus everyone was telling me how well I looked when I'd gained about 10 pounds. Then I got to the stage where none of my clothes fit me and I felt bloated and uncomfortable most of the time. And still hungry day and night. As soon as I came off Mirtazipine I lost about half a stone in the first week and the rest has almost gone now too. Funny how different meds affect us all in different ways. :blink:

Well I've just stopped the Olanzapine myself - thought I had improved but then I started feeling really sick again and had tremors and twitches. And I was STARVING constantly.... and every morning when I woke up I had swollen eyes, swollen hands and feet; add all that to feeling sick and it's not good. I went to my GP on Thursday and he said he couldn't change my meds and I had to see my psych to do that. My psych is away till April but I'll ring and see if anyone else will help me on Monday. My GP also said I should have been assigned a CPN? Is that normal?

Oh and then (strangely) my GP shook his head and said 'are you aware that Olanzapine cost £54 pounds per 28 tablets??'. I said 'well do you want me to bring the rest back or what? I've worked for nearly 20 years and paid taxes into the NHS, thank you'. Cheeky bastard.

Anyway. No more Olanzapine. Sod that. If I want to feel sick all day I'll drink a bottle of vodka every night. Least I'll get some enjoyment out of it that way...

:blink:

"Sod that. If I want to feel sick all day I'll drink a bottle of vodka every night."

Susanna - you make me laugh - good for you for getting out of it yourself - sounds very nasty.......

Ginny XXXXX

By the way - I ws on mirtazapine for 4 months and put on about 2 and a half stone - terible stuff!!!!!!

Thanks Ginny. And I agree, Mirtazapine should be given with a warning about the weight gain - I ended up more depressed about the weight I'd put on that the original problem I was prescribed it for. Nightmare.

x

I got put on that Tegretol, a few years ago, and it made me really really loopy... I dont know if it was that, or the fact that it interacted badly with my other drugs, but for almost four months, I was completely off the planet. :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko: :wacko:

Archived