Mental Health Forums

I Can't Cry!

Shelley

I don't/can't cry. I feel depressed and people allways say 'have a good cry....It'll make you better, but I just can't, I can't feel joy either, I feel emotionally stunted. Anyone else feel like this?

I never used to be able to cry- I didn't even cry at my Grandma's funeral. But now I force my self to cry when I'm depressed- it's important to be in touch with your emotions. Yes you do feel a lot better after a good cry :) I know what you mean about being emotionally stunted- I rarely feel too down (except when I have a depression episode) and I rarely feel really happy- I'm in a state of constant mediocrity. Always feeling around 5/10. Is that what you mean? I don't know what to suggest but I hope it helps to know you're not alone. x

I don't/can't cry. I feel depressed and people allways say 'have a good cry....It'll make you better, but I just can't, I can't feel joy either, I feel emotionally stunted. Anyone else feel like this?

I found a way to help me to cry, it works fairly well, mabbe you can try it too? :)

1) Send some time thinking about the things that make you feel lonely, sad, different and so on, perhaps from back when you were little. Think of anything with the kinna broad theme of what makes you sad, like not belonging, being rejected etc

2) Find some music, a film or a book that you know will be sad and deal with the same sort of themes that you were thinking about.

Something about it being "someone elses emotions" makes it ok to cry at it, but then it starts to become YOUR pain. I find that I start crying at the lyrics or the charcters, and then images of my past start flashing up. Theres a difference between a movie being sad, and a movie touching on things that are very deep for you personally, and you will know the difference because the sadness will be very powerful.

Hope its helpie! Note when you feel like "I must not cry" or like you are almost scared to cry - its that fear / shame / blockage that is stopping you crying normally. It seems like the more you let yourself cry, the easier it becomes.

Ross

EDIT: Music by Snow Patrol seems to make cry a lot, their emotional ones :)

Sometimes i can cry a lot...though i dont like to it is true that its good to let things out.I reached that point of feeling emotionless.I kinda feel that way now,i dont wanna cry...but i dont feel great either.I just feel nothing.I get worried that i feel like this but your not alone.I wish i had a soloution but when you really feel like your gonna cry you will.Forcing yourself or putting yourself under pressure to cry will have the oppisite effect.Well in my experience it has.

xxxx

Sometimes i can cry a lot...though i dont like to it is true that its good to let things out.I reached that point of feeling emotionless.I kinda feel that way now,i dont wanna cry...but i dont feel great either.I just feel nothing.I get worried that i feel like this but your not alone.I wish i had a soloution but when you really feel like your gonna cry you will.Forcing yourself or putting yourself under pressure to cry will have the oppisite effect.Well in my experience it has.

xxxx

i find it very difficult to cry and so often feel so close to the brink of it but just never get there. when i have done in the past its been great racking sobs and though i may not feel physically ok when done, i did find that it helped to have got it out. now im lucky if i get past the eyes half welling up stage.

Ross's ideas are good and i always find the most likely thing to make me cry is music but for many people finding the right film can help.

xxx

I only cry when I am hyper emotional. It takes something extremely big to get me to cry. I have to feel totally overwhelmed by the feeling to actually be able to cry. I know why I can't cry though. My mom sometimes would think that when I started crying it wasn't something to cry over and would say don't start that. So I got used to holding back when I wanted to start crying and eventually it got to the point that I just couldn't cry anymore unless I was alone and even then it is usually not something dealing with me that I cry over anymore.

I learnt fairly early on in life to keep my emotions buried, or maybe it was a coping mechanism, I don't know. Or it could be that I am on 8 different meds, 5 of which have sedating effects. <_<

When I think of times when I have been hurt, I get angry, when what I really want to do is cry!

Thanks for the ideas guys. D

I find it difficult to cry to.....

I dunno if this sounds weird but i make myself cry sometimes to....thinking about something that is really sad can make me a little bit tearful even though it rarely makes me cry ALOT.....but it does actually help make you feel slightly better..

But when im at school and need to cry i cant like do it in front of people..

Accept somedays i do feel very emotional and cry in class which can be anoying because its only ever over miner things which most people will find pathetic..

Yes I feel the same sometimes. I havnt cried for a long time now, but i feel it inside me you know? Its all there wanting to be released but ...i dont know. I hate that we go thru this, but im glad im not alone.

Yes I feel the same sometimes. I havnt cried for a long time now, but i feel it inside me you know? Its all there wanting to be released but ...i dont know. I hate that we go thru this, but im glad im not alone.

That's it exactly, one day I will burst and probably cry for a month non-stop! But I havn't really had a good cry for many years even though I have had alot to cry about. Emotionally numb...but not comftably numb!

Archived