Mental Health Forums

Internet Trolls

Joshua

Hello

As many of you will be aware we have recently had a problem with Internet trolls, these people the join forums specifically to cause trouble and conflict.

We take threats on the community very seriously and have therefore employed a series of measures to limit the effects of these pests.

Should any of these measures affect you, and you feel this has been done in error please submit a ticket and we will do our best to rectify the issue you are having.

It's inevitable that some trolls will breach our security features, at these times I would ask you to report the post and not reply.

Whilst we make every effort to keep these forums safe we all need to pull together to limit the effects of this negative minority.

Thank you

Thank you for your efforts. Even though I only joined a month or two ago, I value this community very much and appreciate the opportunity you provide here. Trolls suck! But this billy goat gruff will eat THEM up for dinner if they try crossing OUR bridge! hehehehe

seems a shame that people have so little in their lives that they have to cause problems for others to keep them selves satisfied.

hopefully we can stamp it out

xxxXxxxx

i know you and all staff work very hard to make sure these people are dealt with and i thank you for your hard work with this and everything else.

xxx

Thank you so much Joshua. I know want you to know that we all appreciate the trouble you go through to keep us safe in this internet world of ours. I know that the trolls have been mean to you too and I feel badly about that because you may be further with your recovery then some of us are but you are still one of us.

Sorry, but i'm a bit annoyed. I might be new here, but i have gained a lot of support especially from chatting to people on live chat. Tonight in particular i am in need of some advice, support, encouragement and chit chat. Yet i've been locked out because the rules have suddenly changed. I understand the safety concerns, and the security requirements, but i'm not a bloody troll. I realise i need to make 25 posts or be here for 3 months whichever comes first, but considering i was able to use the chat room last night, and now NOT, i find it a little unfair. I was just starting make connections with people.

Hi Wobbles,

You have not been locked out because of any rule changes, the 25 posts or 3 months that you speak of is as follows:

All new members have a trial period of up to 25 posts or 3 months, which ever is the sooner, to decide on whether they want to commit to the community. In this time they will have full access to all of the services.

After the trial period members can either continue using restricted services or offer their support to the community to maintain full access. It is up to the member to contact us to offer support.

There are many ways that you can support the communtity should you wish to do so, more details can be found at http://www.bpdworld.org/whyaccount.html.

I saw a post recently and found it quite disturbing It's stillupsetting me and it's still there. A thread from september was reraised and it - well how do IK report this to get it taken off?

The name of the poster made me wonder if it was just some fetishy troll but how can we be sure?

sorry if it really is someone in pain but it makes me feel a bit sick and ashamed

this is the best site to discuss problems with personality disorder stuff, and i am 120% grateful for it and i do take it for granted that you, Josh, are protecting us pretty damn well from trolls.

love you dude.

Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I do have some questions regarding being a peer sponsor & navigating these forums.

How does one become a peer sponsor? If it is by clicking on the "we need your help" icon, why is so much info. required? I am not presently attending any form of therapy, nor do I have a psychotherapist, psychiatrist, etc.

I was diagnosed with OCD/BPD/severe clinical depression, in 1997. I went through the entire gamut of; multiple suicide attempts, multiple stays in a psych ward, much gestalt group-centred therapy, individual therapy, and so forth. At a point in my therapy, I became fascinated with psychology & took many courses in this field, though I have no degree or diploma in this field. Though it sounds "airy-fairy" to me, some of my family members & friends are - to a degree - convinced that I can read their minds. More realistically, I'd suggest that my own experiences, combined with knowledge, allow me to "read" what is behind what a person is saying. I try to explain to family/friends that, having "been there, done that", I have a great empathy for other sufferers. As I should soon be coming up on my 3 months, I'd be most disappointed to be restricted from parts of these forums. Regardless, I'd also like to take this time to express my great appreciation for the existence of these forums & the manner in which they are managed.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mike

I think you click on the "submit a support ticket" button. If you need help navigating through that (I did :blush:) just ask. It sound like you'd make a pretty good peer support.

I understand I need 25 posts or 3 months not to be considered a troll . I have made a 10 pound contrib and done a 30 pound sub too . I don't want that to be I have paid and so let me be .Just there are not many trolls that would do that. As an opposite , I would like my subs to be measured on content , not some seeking reply , which I have done due to certain control methods.

Thank you Joshua

As you might know I was one of those affected on the sister site. Hard not to react to them though when we are all so vulnerable and buttons are pressed - asking too much of us genuines? Also, the sneakiness of it is that they play on our heartstrings, don't cross the line as such and just start to niggle. Glad you've now sussed and are keeping an eye out. And mega thanks for not banning me - this is what they do - cause people to react and behave badly in the hope that the person triggered will get into trouble.

Great respect.

Hairah

BTW - there's no such warning on the abuse survivor's forum Joshua - why so? Call me a trouble maker if you wish but if you've set up that forum there needs to be moderation there that is directed and supported. I think, from what I've communicated with people, there is the feeling we're on our own. Mods need to be involved?? How else can we trust?

Edited by hairah

So do better!!!

You're a totally bright guy - no excuses, babe, so get those mods in, research etc. Abuse survivors need a bit more - please sort it out and stop ignoring that sister site.

Still with respect, but if I don't say - who will? What is needed is what is needed - no excuses Joshua - OK?

hairah

Edited by hairah

Like lots of other members here, I have signed up to quite a few different support sites. Some are more for talking about PD's, like this one, and others for abuse or eating disorder issues, and then some for general mental health problems. I have friends at various sites. It helps because it means I am more likely to find someone online to chat to.

I don't see why there has to be competition between sites. There is more than enough room on the net for us all to co exist peacefully. Of course I am not fully aware of the circumstances behind our latest trolling problem here, but I do know a little, and I am dissapointed to see that the reaction has apparantly been to go and troll on another site, in the belief that the trolls have come from there. (I don't know if they have or not)

I like coming here. I have been helped enormously by this site and have made friends here. I am also a member at Jays forum, because I have friends there too. I don't see what the problem is with that? I do wish that both sides would stop fighting with each other so that it doesn't affect members anymore. I'm not interested in who started it. I just wish it would end.

Ocean Wolf and Yorkie

What I've said seems to have upset you. I'm sorry. Yous don't know the full story - but that's OK. I needed to say what I did as it was eating me up. I'm totally backing off now.

tc - hairah