Mental Health Forums

Internet Trolls

Joshua

Oh god! I just joined and have been a member of another forum for 2 years where we've had serious trouble with trolls, they just don't seem to want to leave us alone, I've just had to take a mini board break from there because of how bad it was, hoping that I can feel a bit safer here????

Oh god! I just joined and have been a member of another forum for 2 years where we've had serious trouble with trolls, they just don't seem to want to leave us alone, I've just had to take a mini board break from there because of how bad it was, hoping that I can feel a bit safer here????

yes you can feel safe on here, josh and the rest of the team have made this a safe place for us all so please try not to worry

Sweetdeanie, hi

It does feel to me that we're safe here - (immediate logging in, staff've got a list of names) - just hope that if something doesn't feel quite right mods will listen. Must be such a hard decision - is someone legit or not?

hairah xx

What are internet trolls exactly??? Sorry to have to ask as it appears to be a universally known term, but I am not exactly sure what everyone is talking about.....

xxx

People that come to a forum just to upset the status quo. Often they use tactics such as posting lots and lots of useless subjects that hide the ones where people need support, other times they will start arguments or make lots of triggering posts without prior warning.

Thanks all! I think I get it..... so people will just do that on purpose for no reason? I see..... seems like a waste of time and effort to me, if I am understanding it properly.

Hi guys

All I can say is that most people submit posts that are triggering because they're struggling. But there's an integrity, an honesty about those posts - and they put them in the right place.

Trolls are hard to spot because they are malicious manipulators - they get their kicks out of stirring. I've been really affected and I don't know if that person was a troll or legit. That's a hard judgement to make. There was another one too who was just too friendly - don't mean we shouldn't be friendly - that's what makes this such a cool place. But something didn't seem right... (this is not on this site BTW.)

I got really affected because my mother was NPD and this kind of stuff really triggers - but with most of yous - if you suspect at all then contact mods and ignore anyone you feel uncomfortable about. If they're legit it will come through.

hairah xx

Thanks all! I think I get it..... so people will just do that on purpose for no reason? I see..... seems like a waste of time and effort to me, if I am understanding it properly.

The reason they do it is because they find it funny to upset other people, which is what they are looking for, a reaction. I don't think it's down to wanting to cause harm to people, just to get a reaction from them because that's what they find funny, disrupting forums, anykind of forum. It is a waste of time most of the time from what I've seen at other forums.

The ones we got here were triggering in the belittling and insulting sense. They came on just to be rude and hurtful.

Thanks OW - guess that makes them easier to spot! On abuse survivors' forums though it's a lot more insidious. Guess I've played right into their hands and wish I could just ignore...

BTW - I'm not paranoid, I just know they're out to get me. :lol:

hairah

I think that it is pretty simple. Trolls are bullies. I don't believe that it is possible to make any group 100% "safe". I tend to share my feelings and opinions as honestly as I can, while protecting my identity from other members. moreover, I do not blindly place my trust in anyone, whether here, or in daily life. That is why, I presume, that I have not heard back from "the staff" regarding my willingness to be a peer supporter. I will not offer personal references, because I will not tell non-family contacts about my illnesses. Further, I have a separate e-mail address for this group, than I normally use. If I must choose between being a peer supporter and protecting my privacy, there is no contest. While these forums are of immeasureable value, each must determine how much to share with & how much to trust the other members.

That's my 2 bits.

Mike

Me too

I think that it is pretty simple. Trolls are bullies. I don't believe that it is possible to make any group 100% "safe". I tend to share my feelings and opinions as honestly as I can, while protecting my identity from other members. moreover, I do not blindly place my trust in anyone, whether here, or in daily life. That is why, I presume, that I have not heard back from "the staff" regarding my willingness to be a peer supporter. I will not offer personal references, because I will not tell non-family contacts about my illnesses. Further, I have a separate e-mail address for this group, than I normally use. If I must choose between being a peer supporter and protecting my privacy, there is no contest. While these forums are of immeasureable value, each must determine how much to share with & how much to trust the other members.

That's my 2 bits.

Mike

good post, we cant expect mods to be perfect