Mental Health Forums

Meds Making Me Put On Weight?

Shelley

I gained 3 stone whilst taking mirtazepine, but I didnt lose it when I stopped taking the meds either.

Discuss it with you docs and see if there is an alternative rather than reducing it yourself.

Take care x

You are on these drugs for a reason.

Would you be able to go back to your gp and talk about your concerns?

They may be able to exchange them for other tablets.

Shelley, both Seroquel and Mirtazipine will make you gain weight as they make you very hungry. I am on Zyprexa/Olanzapine - the big bad daddy of weight gaining drugs. I went from 9 and a half stones to 15 stones. But there are tricks to help you losing the weight. Go to your doc and see if you are eligible for Xenical/Orlistat and try to eat a low fat diet. Secondly, STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM CARBS. Those bad guys are the things you really need to watch out for. I have managed to lose 3 and a half stones by staying the heck away from carbohydrates. No bread, no potatoes, no pasta, no rice, no biscuits, sweets, chocolate or anything like that. For breakfast I eat porridge, for lunch I eat a chicken breast and tomatoes and cucumber, for dinner I eat salmon and green veg and for snacks I eat peanuts and sugar free lollies. Of course it is very hard to do when the drugs give you an enormous appetite but I was determined that Olanzapine would not make me a fat ass. I also take 250mg of Topamax for chaotic bulimia and I no longer binge or feel my eating is out of control and the weight is dropping of me. Tough times call for tough measures. Alternatively you could try different drugs. Abilify has a low weight gain profile but is rubbish for psychosis and there are plenty of other antidepressants on the market out there.

good luck

nuke x

Thanks, I will talk to my C.P.N. today about it. I/ve put on two stone, and I really hate it, and I don/t even eat that much to warrant it.

Every anti psychotic i've taken has made me put on weight, on quetiapine at mo. Am using a food diary to monitor my food intake. Also trying to up my exercise levels if anything just to make sure i don't put on any more weight, don't seem to be losing any though. I dunno in my mind I realise I can't live without the meds but yeah weight gain sucks. I keep thinking that people must think i'm a right pig and I find it hard to look at myself in the mirror. good luck I hope you find a way of being ok with your weight.

I was put on olanzapine and it made me put loadsa weight on around the stomach area so it could be that, im on quietiapine now which is meant to be a more weight nutural drug but we'll see how it goes. Its like a catch twenty two you need the meds to stop psychosis but it makes you put on loadsa weight you have to weigh up the pros and cons I know now that i've put the weight on its gonna take a while to loose it my psychiatrist always looks at my stomach in a dead daunting way when she mentions how olanzi is such a weight gain drug. I've also been asked numerous times if im pregnant which is really embarassing and insulting cause im not!!

Archived