Mental Health Forums

A Neurotic With An Irrational Worry

successful_workthru

After twenty years of employment, punctuated by longer and longer amounts of sick leave, I found myself on Incapacity benefit, in 2005, when I was also medically retired on the grounds of ill mental and emotional health, with a pension.

In 2006 I received an IB50, incapacity for work questionnaire, which I duly filled out.

I attended a medical, and the assessor sent me out after ten minutes, as he could obviously see, from my extreme distressed state, I was still unfit for work.

I was advised I would be contacted again, in 2009, which is par for the couse for incapacity claimants.

I am agorophobic and cannot function around people, so am very very slowly trying to rebuild a career from home as an artist/writer.

I also have a care-co-ordinator who is based at our local psych ward, and I was admitted there last year, as I was deemed a potential harm to myself.

I still have the document of section 2 (the most secure section)

I had a general downturn in mental health last year, and my care co-ordinators role was stepped up.

She has even agreed to attend any medicals with me, provided the DWP will shcedule any appointment on a day she can attend (she has ward committments, and other therapy commitments)

I received the IB50, which I am to fill out by the 9th of April.

Now, normally, I would just do as before, in 2006, but there are two things I am concerned about.

The concern is the media hype about the draconian new rules with regartds to incapacity benefit.

Having been suicidally depressed, and alcoholic, due to twenty years of bullying/assaults/harrassment in different places, I would rather die than go back to work.

I am afraid I have frightened myself by going on mental health forums, and hearing horror stories of mentally ill being forced back to work, having atos staff put wrong information on the assessment records, further mental illness caused by stress, and the list goes on.

I am OCD, among other things.

I have been getting myself in a state over these new labour rules for well over a year now.

It is so bad, that my weight has gone down, and the alcoholism I thought I had buried when I left work has started to peep through again.

*makes plans to shop online in future, to avoid re-addiction triggers (alcohol aisle in shop, less temptation ordering from home)

We even discussed in therapy, a very valid point, that my over worry about these new rules was at the root of the cause in my downturn in mental illness last year, culminating in me being sectioned.

I am keeping a sensible part of me, which says, that they will probably look at my IB50 and not even bother calling me up for interview, as I am agorophobic, and cannot function around people.

The neurotic side of me says that, although the last assessor in my medical in 2006, could plainly see my state, I fear that this year, although there is no change in my condition, I irrationally think they may say

"Ah, but the goalposts have changed, we've James Purnell on the case now"

I plan to earn my own money when I am ready, and I am only irrationally scared because of what I am hearing externally.

I want to know, if I will still be assessed under the old points system.

Would love some reassurance, maybe some pointers, and some facts.

thanks for listening.:)

Nooooooooo dont worry! :)

I recently had an ATOS interview under the new rules, and I dont have half the things you do. I just told the guy what bothers me, what I find hard and why, and what happens when I get stressed around people (I had started to have little delusions and paranoia), and your list is much bigger than mine. Like you say you want to work again, but you cant do it on someone elses timetable. With the history you have, I dont think they will have any reason to send you back - after all if that was the case they wouldnt have signed me off :)

Hope this helps a little ... I know hearing someone elses experience doesnt always make a good stand in for finding out for sure, but maybe this will take the edge off a touch

Ross

Thanks.

It's those new rules and the fallout which has got me paranoid.

If the rules were the same as three years ago, I wouldnt be half as worried.

Thanks for sharing your positive experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have only just seen this thread and hence the late reply.

Maybe you have filled your form in now and sent it off but if not here is a link which might be useful for you

http://www.benefitsinmind.org.uk/dla_atten...e_allowance.htm

I know the link isnt for Incapacity benefit but I have just re-applied for DLA and I have written practically the same stuff on the DLA form that I wrote on my IB form. My IB review is due next year, I dread it for exactly the same reason as yourself. I too have agoraphobia and have managed so far to avoid seeing any of the Benefits Docs but I dread the time I have to see one. I am worried tho that I might have to see one for DLA, I should hear during the next 6weeks. Scarey.

I was advised by my therapist several years ago to write on the form how I am affected and list in great detail my symptoms especially when I am at my worst. That is exactly what I did but I also wrote that my condition fluctuates and the severity of my panic and anxiety changes too although it affects me every single day. It would be interesting to know how you get on with this I hope all goes smoothly, it is a stress provoking palava.

Thanks for that-will have a look.

I still have the form, been putting off filling it in, but will take your advice.

The doctor at the ib medical was nice, and understanding.

I just got myself worried due to all the media hype.

I think I wont be called for medical.

Although I put all my symptoms on the dla form and got dla.

3 years ago, when I filled out the first ib50 I missed some details off the form, just out of shame, but I won't miss them this time.

They must be used to people doing this.

I'm sure they will read my form, and keep me signed off, all I have to do is not get obsessed with the worry about these new rules and the media hype. I forget newspsapers are biased, and I'm glad I dont buy one, I just read tidbits online.

Post appreciated though.

Archived