Mental Health Forums

Diazepam

snowman

I have had lots of trouble sleeping recently. My psychiatrist gave me some diazepam and told me to take 2 mg. This has had no effect. I took 8mg last night-it was slightly better.

Any suggestions as to a suitable dose to ensure a nights sleep?

I've only ever been prescribed zopiclone or zolpidem for sleep which are very effective, don't over medicate as I've heard (don't know whether right or wrong) that diazepam can be very addictive so might be worth seeing your doctor sooner rather than later about it. xxx

hi ya snow, unsure why he gave diziapam as it is a muscle relaxant, but saying that it will relaxe you and make you dosey a little. 2mg and up to 5mg is really low amount, 10mg upwards work better, but really diziapam is for alcolohics to back pain ect not sleep. tamazapam on the other side from the same generics is the sleeping tablet. so as they suggest is that really you need to ask your doc why one he gave you this as its been said diziapam and tamazapam is from a form of valium so is addictive.

so go back and question please and make sure you are heard.

i`m on diazepam well was 10mg a day and it didnt effect me, didnt make me sleep but i think for me my body became use to it so was on road of wanting higher doses so not good

As Roses has said Zopiclone or Zolpidem might be a better option for sleep. They are way less habit forming. Diazepam is the least addictive benzo but you can still run into tolerance issues. I take 20mg a day for psychotic and manic agitation. I take Temazepam for sleep, but only a couple of nights a week as it is habit-forming as well

nuclear x

• 2 weeks later...

I would ask for It to be changed to Zolpidem, It/s much less addictive. The more you take Diazapam the more tolerant you get and before you know it you have an addiction issue!

Im currently coming off Diazapam by 1mg a week, was on 45mg now on 38....It/s hard.

Archived