Mental Health Forums

Mirtazapine

Rael

ages ago i was put on this and i had terrible joint pains and refused to take it anymore. last Dec i was put back on it as my doctor said i had no choice there was nothing left to try. late jan i had noticed a difficulty moving around, a general weakness. didnt think much of it thought maybe it was a bug. gradually it got worse and worse, all i could do was sleep, i couldnt wake up and if i did try to stand it was hard, i just had no strength. i started to get migraines too and i never normally get headaches. i was late for work no end of times because i couldnt get up, it didnt matter if i slept more of less i just couldnt cope.

mentioned it to my doc and he said that it was a 'lack of motivation' and laughed at me when i said sometimes i physically couldnt move. he laughed and said 'oh no, no, no, no, of course you can move, there's nothing wrong with you'. i asked if it could be any of the tablets and he said no it was just me. as i didnt have the energy to put him through the window i gave up.

pieced a few things together, remembered seeing a post on this site about mirtazapine being a sedative so looked it up. it is, big time. and its even worse in combination with other sedatives. ok lithium isnt really but i do take zopiclone 15mg. thought about it a bit and just kept feeling like shit. knew the doc wouldnt listen to me he has done this before and once he has decided he wont be proved wrong.

so i stopped taking it the other night. yesterday i didnt feel so tired and weak all day and today i got up 30 mins earlier, BY CHOICE when before i was falling back asleep while in the process of trying to move and get up. i am ok being awake, while before i was as close as i could be to falling asleep at the computer without hitting my head on the keyboard.

have an appointment already booked with doc from last one (i am gonna rip him a new one) and i know he's gonna be pissed that i stopped it without taking him but if he wasnt prepared to listen when i knew there was something going on and not just 'lack of motivation' then im sorry but i have to do what i think is best for me. besides, i was still depressed so it wasnt working anyway.

sometimes we do know ourselves better than anyone, i would much rather have done it with his supervision but he refused to believe what i said. i was too desperate and felt i had to try something. not saying i would always be reckless and think i knew better than the docs, but this time i was.

xxx

I am so pleased I just read this. I feel really sorry for the pain you have suffered but my psychiatrist was suggesting yesterday that I try this.

NO CHANCE!!!

Hope the doc listens more to you - sorry I'm not making much sense - head is odd today!!!

Mirt temporarily paralised me Rael, make me psychotic, made me hypercondriac , gave me an eating disorder and gave me heart attack like symptoms. Docs wn't admit to it but I know it was teh Mirt, if you feel it's not doing you good, come off it. It's an awful drug and should be taken off the market in my opinion.

I was on Mirtazapine and ended up at my highest weight which triggered my Anorexia starting. I had the thoughts there already and obviously that's not the whole story but it didn't help knowing I'd put all that weight on.

I wasn't made very aware of the sedative effects of this med before taking it. I was told there WAS a sedative effect but that was it. I found out (myself) that I HAD to take this no longer than 30 minutes before I went to bed. If I tried to stay awake after taking this and it started to have an effect, I would literally feel like I was about to have a panic attack if I wasn't asleep by then, it was horrible! Once I got used to the timing of the medication though, I did find the sedative effect helpful. Especially really bad days because I would just take my meds early and go to bed not worrying about whether it was too early and I wouldn't sleep through the night.

But I still say, just with the weight gain alone (obviously having an ED now) I would NEVER go back on this med again. If you are afraid or weight gain, stay WELL clear of this one!!!

x-Bliss-x

i was on this meds and it made me put on weight i liked the fact it made me sleep but the weight gain made me come off it

as it was increasing my depression cause i so fat and i have a ed so it didnt help with that either. but it helped with depression

not as good as the ones im on now thought

• 2 weeks later...

I AM ON THIS AT THE MOMENT AND HAVING SO MANY SIDE AFFECTS....IM ON 45MG...JOINT PAIN HAS GOT REALY BAD..IVE PUT 2STONE ON IN THE 10WEEKS I BEEN ON IT AND I GOT CONSTANT HEADACHES...AND I STRUGGLE GETTING UP OUT BED WHICH I CANT BE HAVING WEN I HAVE 4 KIDS AND A BLIND HUSBAND TO CARE 4......

hi rael

im glad for you that you made the leap of faith and came off it.

i was having s/effects as serious as yours with efexor, which was a bitch to come off. and the drs at first were not impressed, but the rapid cycling stopped soon after, and now they say i am not a suitable candidate for an anti-d.

your dr sounds like such an ignorant pig. well, pigs are nice animals, so insert stronger expletive.

joint pain and over sedation ae terrible- i have joint pain a lot and olanzapine made me a total zombie, not to mention weight gain.

take care.

a.m

axtell sorry you are having so many props with it too, esp with all your responsibilities- that is a lot. i can barely look after myself and my 13 yr old half the week.

can you go back and talk to a sympathetic dr (rare breed) about it?

take care too

a.m

no one knows you like you...

my shrink said anti-depressnets wont help ppl with BPD, but i have always felt better when on them and so insisted i take them...

we know our own bodies, they should listen to us... glad you are feeling better x

Im in the process of coming off It, without pdoc advise, I wrote in another topic that my leg/s felt weak upon waking, and actually gave way once, causing me to fall dpwn the stairs, I/ve taken half a 45mg tablet for 5 days, tonight I will break into quaters, for 5 day/s and then I will stop.

I agree, we know ourselves better that any pdoc, espeacially as they never stay long, and are allway/s changing. We need to follow our own instint/s sometimes.

So glad you made this post Rael. :)

• 2 weeks later...

WELL LAST WEEK DOCS PUT MINE DOWN TO 30 FROM 45MG.....WELL I HAVE STOPPED IT COMPLEATLT MYSELF AND ALL MY SIDE AFFECTS HAS ALMOST GONE AND I FEEL SO MUCH BETER ONLY THING IS IM VERY SNAPPY WITH PEOPLE....BUT IM OFF ALL MY MEDS AND I DID IT ALL MYSELF........ :rolleyes: IM SURE WHEN I SEE MY DOC WED HE GOING TO SLAP ME ON THE HAND BUT GOT I FEEL BETER IN MYSELF........IM JUST HOPING I CAN COPE OF ALL MEDS........JUST MY ONLY OTHER DOWNFUL IS THAT I ANT SLEEPING MUCH WHICH ANT GRATE AS I HAVE 4KIDS TO CARE FOR.....SO MAY HAVE TO SUCOME TO TAKING MY SLEEPING PILLS AGAIN. :angry:

hi rael.. it makes me mad when docs think they know our bodies more than us!

They should try taking the cocktails of meds we get out on!

My last cpn was pro metasipine and i was on 45mg for 3 years.. i put on 4 stone, it did help with my depression but i was so sedated and overweight i came off it and every time i had a wobble she tried to push metazipine on me and i refused.. i will NEVER go on that drug again!!

My new cpn lets me decide what i want to be on and change the doses as to what i need.. i much prefer that approach!

good for u coming off it! hope u feel less ill soon. faerie xx

I ALSO HAVE PUT 2 AND HALF STONE...IVE JUST STOPED TAKING IT AFTER ONLY BEING ON IT 4MONTHS.....IM NOT HAPPY WITH THE WEIGHT GAIN........DOCS NEVER TELL U SIDE AFFECTS THEY JUST TO QUICK AT HANDING DRUGS OUT...... :mellow:

Archived