Mental Health Forums

Murder Of James Bulger, Remember Him?

Lance

Interesting move Josh...interesting.

What I find most sad though now is that one of the most significant topics of my life has now been tainted with all of this flame debate. I just wanted to explain how I believe the event threw my mind off course and caused the chain reaction to being how I am today. When I first started recalling these memories, they hit me so hard, almost as if my mind has been waiting for me to remember them, a huge release of emotions as I realize what it means. I now have answers to anomalies that I previously didn't. It's not about the murder itself, but how I interpreted it at that age. That's what I wanted to talk about....not just stir up crap about the murder, I'm not like that.

I hope this can get back on topic again, there's much more to it than the initial post. I'd hate to see a topic so important to me just fade off into arguements, cursing and mod interventions, completely shadowing what it was I wanted to talk about.

Peace, Lance

Lance, for what it's worth, i don' believe you done anything wrong at all. This thread isn't wrong, and certainly not the real issue that you wanted and need to discuss.

Events from our childhood shape who we are today, and if those events aren't processed properly, or adequately at the time, they can have an adverse affect on us as adults, and often it takes only a small reminded of what it was that happened, way back when, to cause such a tidal wave of events, habits, emotions, and attitudes. I know my childhood is filled with those moments, and i envy you that you've been able to pinpoint a particular even that has had significant impact on you, and work through the emotions and thoughts surrounding that event.

My therapist said that most people have a habit of disconnecting feeling with thoughts. WIth this thread, you have managed to reconnect the two, allow yourself to feel the emotions with the thoughts, and work through them, to understand them and yourself, and with that understanding, i hope there is some acceptance and progression, regardless of how big or small.

This thread has been important for us all, i believe, and one we can all learn from if we're able to see past the actual event, and 'listen' to what it is you're really saying.

*Pats you on the back*

Lance

Sometimes such topics will fuel debate and rightfully to as otherwise the attitudes of society etc will never change or at the very least lead to thought and widening perspectives.

I would ask that you be mindful of this and responders of your raised issues.

Lance

Sometimes such topics will fuel debate and rightfully to as otherwise the attitudes of society etc will never change or at the very least lead to thought and widening perspectives.

I would ask that you be mindful of this and responders of your raised issues.

Aye man, I'm very mindful of it. I simply ment I hope it doesn't end with that. I'm all for debate, I've created lots of complex debates on here in the past. It's just UPPERCASE SWEARING ATTACKS that I don't consider debate, and just wanted to move on from that. But I'm very mindful.

Lance, for what it's worth, i don' believe you done anything wrong at all. This thread isn't wrong, and certainly not the real issue that you wanted and need to discuss.

Events from our childhood shape who we are today, and if those events aren't processed properly, or adequately at the time, they can have an adverse affect on us as adults, and often it takes only a small reminded of what it was that happened, way back when, to cause such a tidal wave of events, habits, emotions, and attitudes. I know my childhood is filled with those moments, and i envy you that you've been able to pinpoint a particular even that has had significant impact on you, and work through the emotions and thoughts surrounding that event.

My therapist said that most people have a habit of disconnecting feeling with thoughts. WIth this thread, you have managed to reconnect the two, allow yourself to feel the emotions with the thoughts, and work through them, to understand them and yourself, and with that understanding, i hope there is some acceptance and progression, regardless of how big or small.

This thread has been important for us all, i believe, and one we can all learn from if we're able to see past the actual event, and 'listen' to what it is you're really saying.

*Pats you on the back*

Thank you so much for that... That explains exactly how I feel. It's good to know people can see it from that same perspective. And I totally agree with you on the disconnecting feeling from thought. I believe it's why so many of us can't recall certain areas of our lives, like an answer without a question, a how without a why, a was without a what. I've said a similar thing in another topic, how an entire memory isn't just a single clump of data but more split up into its various parts. Often you can recall one part without the other because the 'connection' part is weak. But the more you recall it, the stronger it becomes. Well I'm no brain scientist or anything, but it seems to make sense to me anyway.

Thanks again for that reply Wobbles :)

Peace, Lance

DONT WANT TO BE REMINDED OF THAT, DONT POST ABOUT THAT, DIDNT READ WONT READ TAKE THE FUCKING TITLE DOWN TAKE THIS FUCKING TOPIC AWAY.

i really really feel upset/angry/disappointed about this post. not just that its not a nice thing to see on this forum but also just in general, the james bulger case may stand out as particlaurly horrific for alot of people but the truth is this type of crime occurs all of the bloody time and people just wanting to stick their heads in the sand and froget abotu it is part of the reason criminals are able to commit these crimes. this is my personal opinion but the way i see it ignoring reality is the same as abandoining children up to these types of crimes

I was 11 when this murder happened.

Its interesting how different people relate to it. I was the same age as the boys and i had a sister the same age as james. I remember being so horrified. At the same time we'd been reading lord of the flies (william golding) at school. it raised lots of questions. none of which ive ever answered. I do remember though how i couldnt understand how these boys could do such a thing. As adults we can look at 10/11 yr olds and say 'they are only children' and make them innocent impressionable minds, but if you are the same age as the perpatrators it is harder to view them from the distance of an adult and to cut them off from 'freewill'. Adults tend to forget the depth children have. Id grown up with a vicious sadistic father, id been allowed to run wild in the streets....what makes the difference between a child who kills and a child who doesnt?

I knew theyd kidnapped him and taken him to railway track and killed him...i didnt know/remember anythign about the torture until i readthis thread. Im feeling doubly horrified by this. How wretched for his parents, to know that the child they loved, potected and cared for had suffered like that. Any murder would have been awful but to know your child had been tortured like this too, to be able to picture his terror :( Its too awful to comprehend.

and whats so sad is that it happens and has happened to so many people.

Lance I think it is very important youve managed to make the connection for you. Its one of those things that youd be unlikely to make the connection because it doesnt seem directly related to your life...until you realise what an effect it did have. In a different way i was very affected by the aliens film that i watched when i was about 7. Im still utterly terrified of being pregnant and it wasnt until i remembered the months i spent petrified i had an alien in me, that it made sense why i am so scared. (i could see the artery by my belly button beating, so was convinced there was an alien in there - dont laugh)

Maybe I'm coming too late to this party, but I thought I'd chip this in anyway.

I found that the post in question was abusive and made no significant contribution to the topic whatsoever. All it was, it seemed to me, was just another BPD rage and, quite frankly, I think we all have enough of that in our "real" lives. Moreover, as I interpreted it, it violated this stipulation in the Terms of Use:

• You will be respectful of other community members and their views at all times.

I didn't think it passed that test (still don't). Thus, in the interest of keeping the community safe, I rendered the post--and the one that followed it that quoted it--invisible.

On the other hand, in the Terms, the above is followed by this:

• You will be mindful that all community members need to learn how to understand you and respond best. Also that sometimes they may get it wrong. You must be prepared for this, and talk about it.

Which I think is how Josh is interpreting it. C'est La Vie!

• 7 months later...

I am from Liverpool, the same age as Jamie and was at the place were he got abducted at the same time. Its horrible to think what happened and even worse to think that it couldv'e been me.

One of the lads that did it lived by me and Im sure he got released a few years back :/

Hi Lance.

Your post deeply affected me. Brought me to tears. I had the email sent to me on facebook and have had it quite a few times sent to my inbox on my email account. Very rarely do I read it because it hurts to think what humans can do to eachother. I was 2 when it happened possibly not quite 2 as I was born august 91 so can only vaguely remember the later reports are court cases being reported on the news and in papers.

I do believe that you have made a breakthrough in remembering this from your early childhood and recognising your strong emotions, even as a 6 year old towards a child you didn't know and had never met. I struggle with showing emotion to anyone other than my daughter but the murder of Jamie Bulger and Baby P always affect me so strongly that I still to this day have never read the full report on Baby P's death.

I have to say though I am pleased that you feel you have made a breakthrough and wish you all the best.

Leanne x

Archived