Mental Health Forums

Totally Freaking Out

calyps

As I wailed previously, i had my prozac increased to 60mg a day to treat my bulimia. It's been a week now and I think it might be working. i was doing my evening munchies thing as where i would normally have made myself vomit, I decided i 'didn't feel like it'- what the hell? Is that how this stuff works? I'm really spun out about the fact that a pill has managed to affect my behaviour in this direct and blatant way. it doesn't seem right, am i freaking more because it's about letting this whole eating disorder coping go? I also feel more positive about enduring the week ahead of me without weed. I'm aiming for holding out until friday. I really hope I can do it. And without going insane?

hope it continues - yeah, mad aint it?

i recall when i was on cipralex years ago that it was amazing what it did. i even started getting memories come back i had forgotten :blink:

It's a good thing, I know it is a good thing BUT- The whole thing has really spun me out and I don't know why. It feels like my behaviour is under an outside influence, not under my form of control. I can't help thinking that you can't even hypnotise people to do something they don't want to. I never thought I was ready to give up the whole bulimia just yet but it feels like the choice is out of my hands, these pills are going to make me obey. Am i just freaking because I feel i am no longer in control? Or freaking because it feels like social control? Is this just the rebellious hippy in me coming out?

you are freaking because you are now in control, not out of it

this is the important differentiation to make i think - the drugs put you in a position where you can make better decisions, like not be bulimic. they are not controlling you, they are just allowing you to control yourself. thats how i see it anyway. i think you are just not used to it and anything that new is like, WHOA! but, hang in there and it will become the new, and better, norm.

i know its damn weird and i felt exaclty the same - good, but, not good.

take care matie

xx

Cheers guys,

the analytical science part of me is telling me that all the medication has done is increase the amount of serotonin avaliable to be used in my brain. The way i act is still me, probably more me than I ever was before. I made my friend cry today because I told him that for the first time I actually feel 'real' and like I can make it better. But Lost, you were right, i was just freaking myself out because it was new and different. Don't want to get too excited or happy about it because it can't last, right?

well as long as you are on drugs i guess it lasts

my mum's doctor keeps telling her that the levels can maintain themselves after you have been on the pills long enough, but then, he refuses to be tied down to how long this actually takes. and she is too afraid to ask, and only too happy to keep popping them. i personally doubt whether what he says actually happens. she is coming into her third year on them (at least). as soon as she comes off them she starts going downhill.

i have to say though, i got a reasonably good year out of only three months on cipralex. so who knows!??

just go with it. however long you have, try to be philosophical about it - it's time well spent!

xx

Well done Anwen, isn't it great when something actually works!? Just give in to the good feelings and know that the world can be a better place - Good Luck and keep it up!!! :)

Ginny

You guys are all great. There was me freaking out, as usual, freak out first, analyse later (in case we can't freak out later).

Scary thought- am I starting to learn how to deal with things? Or am I just more accepting of the way I feel?

Were these little green pills all I needed the whole time, this past half of my lifetime that I feel i have totally wasted?

Stop questioning it Anwen! Just be thankful something is happening, something is making a difference!

Archived