Mental Health Forums

How Long Get Meds Right?

les66

Hi all

How long does it usually take for them to get your meds right? I have been on different ones and still not right. Started off with Tramazone then changed to Fluoxetine with Zimovane. Then double dose of fluoxetine with chlorpromazine or something like that, they no good. Now dropped dose of fluoxetine along with Depakote and zolpidem yet I still feel same if not bloody getting worse.

It is getting so frustrating. I know I am being impatient and that meds alone will not help but I cannot stop getting irritated about it all. I guess I am much same as many who aint long been diagnosed, and also all on here that we just want it all to go away. Yet no meds on this earth will ever do that, just matter of living with it and coping best way possilbe if can do.

Les x

I don't know what some of your meds are and I don't have BPD but from reading on here I think it is quite common to be treated with an anti-depressant and a mood stabiliser and possibly an anti-psychotic too depending on your symptoms. It took me a long time to find out what works for me and sometimes it is not modern drugs like fluoxetine that work but the older fashioned ones but unfortunaltely a lot of them come with more side effect which is why they always try things like fluoxetine first. I hope this helps. If you want to talk I am here. xxx

Hi Roses

What are some of the old fashioned meds? I really do not think that what I am taking is doing me any good. I am sure the Depakote is an anti-psychotic, I could be wrong. I know zolpidem is a sleeping tablet Sometimes when I see my P/doc I am on auto and do not take in half what she says. I do remember having to have my bloods done before starting them.

Les x

If you google it I'm sure you can find out. I know fluoxetine is prozac which is new and in a different group (there are 3 groups of anti-d's) and I am on lofepramine and good old fashioned lithium but with lithium comes frequent blood tests and with lofepramine comes ECG's so this is why they try the new ones first. Sorry couldn't find depakote in my book but yes I take zolpidem for sleep. Let me know how you get on finding information on web. xxx

I never got my meds right. Not only did they not work on me, they put me throguh hell. So I'd say it's different for everyone.

Depakote is a mood stabiliser - with rather gnarly side effects.

It can take ages to find a correct combo of meds - the eternal med-go-round, Im still finding my own right combo

nuclear xx

Hi

AS nuclear says, Depakote is in fact a mood stabiliser. They seem be making me worse, in a strange way I feel my paranoia has got much worse and I cannot bloody stop eating, which is a bad thing for me as I have major problems surrounding weight issues (very confusing it all is).

Sometimes I think they will never get it right but guess that is just me getting impatient with all this. Feel getting further into a deep depression again, trying my best to fight it but very hard. Just cannot seem to get anyone to understand how I feel and why I feel way I do. Talking in riddles I think, sorry.

Many thanks to all who have taken time to read my post and an even bigger thank you for those who have taken time to reply, very much appreciated.

Les x

Les, I found olanzipine made me do that just eat and eat and eat and I was given it by people who know I have suffered with eating disorders for the last 20 years! I said NO I will not take it and they tried risperidol which is supposed to be better but it did nothing for me and now I'm on quetiapine which makes me dopey but not so much with the appetite. However, different meds work differently for everyone and perhaps it is argueably better to be a bit overweight than suicidal all the time but for people with ED's the fact that you are a bit overweight can lead to you feeling suicidal so I guess its all about getting a balance and the right dosage. xxx

Hi Roses

You hit the nail on the head about being overweight does contribute to way I feel. So it is like a damned viscious circle that I would dearly love to break but at this precise moment I do not see that happening. Maybe some day though. so there is a bit hope there.

Going to discuss it all in length with my P/doc on my next visit.

Thanks again and take care

Les x

My appointment is for May 5th. However, if way i am feeling and thinking get any worse I will have try see her sooner. When I do this though I feel as though I am being a burden and a pest, just how I am.

Les x

I know how you feel but you are not a burden. That's what they are there for and if you need some support give them a call. Hugs xxxxxxxx

Depakote is notorious for making you gain weight - on another forum we name it Depabloat. Not a nice drug. It also makes your hair fall out and makes you very tired and reduces your libido. There are less harsh mood stabilisers - I am on 2 mood stabilisers - topamax and tegretol and get zilch side effects from either. Tegretol is very useful for BPD in particular and Topamax will not make you gain weight. It is very good for binge eating disorders and again, studies have shown it is effective for BPD in women suffering from the illness (it helps impulse control). On these meds I don't think about cutting, oding, drinking, bingeing and purging and my spending is down. Lithium is a better bet to stabilise your mood. However, some people do experience extreme cognitive dulling on topamax and it is not a widely prescribed drug in the UK for psychiatric purposes (I had to beg my p-doc)

Antipsychotics are used primarily for psychosis (does exactly what it says on the tin!). I am on Olanzapine and Haldol but do not suffer weight gain due to sensible low carb eating. Olanzapine is a pretty heavy going drug and should only really be considered if a person is going through a psychotic emergency or has long term severe chronic psychosis due to its detrimental side effects - severe weight gain, raised blood lipids, risk of diabetes etc etc

nuclear

Thank you both very kindly. I am going to see how things go over next 24-48 hrs. If musch same or get any worse I am going to make that call get appointment.

It is great to come on here and know there is support whenever you need it. Over past 2 days I would have been lost without it.

Les x

Archived