Mental Health Forums

Lamotrigine

jane58

Just had appt with physchiatrist and she is thinking of putting me on Lamotrigine to stabilise my mood. She said she will discuss side effects with me when she sees me in a month. It seems is not licensed for use in mood disorder in UK. Does anyone have any experience of this drug ? Currently on Sertraline, Olanzapine and Mirtazapine - she will take me off the Mirtazapine in 1 month.

Thanks

Jane

Hi

I have no experience with it but thought Id share what I know about it. This med was orginally only for people with epilepsy but somehow they found out it also helps to stabelize moods. In the USA the FDA has approved it for such use.

They have been using it for moodstabelizsation for 10 years now.

Lilly

I'm on it and have been for some time now.

It has been a brilliant drug for me in that it has raised my mood and taken away a vast amount of anxiety.

At the same time, the drug terrifies me.

Just had appt with physchiatrist and she is thinking of putting me on Lamotrigine to stabilise my mood. She said she will discuss side effects with me when she sees me in a month. It seems is not licensed for use in mood disorder in UK. Does anyone have any experience of this drug ? Currently on Sertraline, Olanzapine and Mirtazapine - she will take me off the Mirtazapine in 1 month.

Thanks

Jane

hi, my son was on this for his epilepsy for a few years and found it slowed him down. his school work suffered so he was taken off it. probably depends on the dosage and of course every-one is different. i take tegretol as a mood stabiliser and that has helped me. just make sure you find out about the side effects and keep an eye on how you feel.

x

Archived