Mental Health Forums

Anyone Diagnosed With A Psychotic Disorder?

Lauren

yup im primarily diagnosed with bpd but i have had several psychotic episodes also.

when i have been psychotic i have been given olanzipan-sorry shit at spelling!

i suppose it got rid of psychosis but bloody nightmares were awful.

I've been known to get psychotic and had a big psychotic episode in 1999 which landed me in a hospital. They put me on antipsychotics for awhile up until a few months ago since they didnt think I needed them anymore and took me off. I've never got a full classification for that- Just that I had a psychotic episode at one time.

xxKatie

i'm diagnosed as having schizo effective disorder ,psychosis and manic depression(bipolar)

noone thought to tell me any of this though and when i specifically asked for a dx they never answered me,so i requested my medical notes and read my dx in there - not the best way to learn your dx

thats pretty shitty Star,i remember one shrink telling me i was depressed and impulsive,i suspected i was bpd but he wouldnt say,new shrink was like a breath of fresh air,she was brutally honest but at least i knew where i stood.

Schizoaffective Disorder is identified by mood disorders and short periods of psychotic breakdown. Hence the treatment needs to address both aspects for it to be effective. Most patients respond well with a combination of anti-depressants, mild dosage of anti-psychotic medication and a mood stabilizer. Compliance to the medication regimen is very important for good prognosis.

Schizoaffective Disorder is different from Schizophrenia even though the patient does have short periods of psychotic breakdowns. The prognosis is somewhere between Major Depression and Schizophrenia.

Most patients are capable of functioning fairly adequately when compliant with treatment, if there are no further complications due to alcohol/drug usage. They are capable of holding a low-stress part-time job, social interaction and of having relationships.

Archived