Mental Health Forums

Just Wondering...

purplechick

i have completely gone off food. i have no appetite. the only thing i can bear to eat is chocolate, and thats the only thing i have eaten for weeks now. the smell of food even makes me feel sick! i have tried a few times to eat other things. but i just chew and chew and cant swallow. im worried that all my meds im taking wont work on a basically empty stomach. i weighed myself yesterday and im not loosing any weight, so im not really worried from that aspect.

im just wondering is this the start of an eating disorder, or is it just part of the deep depression im suffering with at the mo?

daft question but your not pregnant are you,sometimes ppl tend to go off foods when pregnant,also apparently if you starve or dont eat enough at first your body goes into stravation mode and will actually desparatly store any fat,so you will more likely gain weight at first then after a while you will lose,i could be wrong so dont quote me on that one,yes some meds or mental health conditions can make you go off food,esp deep depression,as my dad suffered major depression and he would go months barely touching his food,he was sectioned in the end where they kept an eye on him and gave him drugs,he is still on them drugs now and is fine

no im not pregnant. but it makes sense what you said about gaining weight at first as my stomach is getting larger! maybe i should speak to my doctor about this

There is a word for food craving pica-something...? It's not restricted to just pregnant people. Could be your body is trying to tell you something. Perhaps you can got an get some blood tests to test your iron and minerla levels. An inbalance can throw you out a bit. xxx

There is a word for food craving pica-something...? It's not restricted to just pregnant people. Could be your body is trying to tell you something. Perhaps you can got an get some blood tests to test your iron and minerla levels. An inbalance can throw you out a bit. xxx

ok i will speak to my gp about that. im wondering if maybe my body is craving the sugar in choc that i now lack from alcohol, since giving up drinking? xx

I'm not sure purplechick. Could be if you have recently given up alcohol that your body is just trying to adjust. I don't know how much you used to drink or how often, but there are things your doctor can give you to ease the detox process if your drinking was severe, and if it was severe you may need monitoring for a few weeks whilst your body adjusts. If it was light-moderate drinking it is more than likely just rebalancing itself but I'm glad you are going to see your doctor as is a positive step and is good to take care of yourself.

I'm not sure purplechick. Could be if you have recently given up alcohol that your body is just trying to adjust. I don't know how much you used to drink or how often, but there are things your doctor can give you to ease the detox process if your drinking was severe, and if it was severe you may need monitoring for a few weeks whilst your body adjusts. If it was light-moderate drinking it is more than likely just rebalancing itself but I'm glad you are going to see your doctor as is a positive step and is good to take care of yourself.

yeh i did used to drink alot, a bottle of wine a day. but since drinking a bottle of wine with my large tablet OD last month, i now cannot touch a drop cos of the association with it. when i try and drink i just feel like i am relieving the event again and makes me want to vomit!

You are making positive steps and that takes guts, I think you're doing great. xxxxx

thanx alot! i still have the urges and cravings to drink. and miss the feeling of being the me i wish i could be normally when iv had a drink, but i guess thats something i need to come to terms with. i supposed in a way my od did me a favour cos it stopped me drinking! xx

Hey purplechick,

I can't believe it your mo is very similar to mine. I quit drinking in August last year and craved chocolate that's practcally all I ate. At AA and counsilling I was told that it is not uncommon to crave sweet stuff. I have just stopped my acamprosate which helps with the alcohol cravings. I did get back to a kind of normalish diet well as normal as mine has ever been. Then about 2 weeks ago i had lots of voices and one of them dorothy went on strike wanting only chocolate. So that was it only chocolate. Then I just went off food all together and haven't really eaten since. Like you, the smell and thought of food makes me feel sick. i have tried eating small portions but i have to throw up. i have had a little cup of soup and that seems to be ok. in hossy i ate nothing which because i'm large nobody really sees. since i came out though i am still finding it nigh impossible. i don't know whether it's depression or just self loathing.

x Bumble :hug2:

I always say this, so I will sound like a broken record, but if you find you can't eat, really try and keep your fluids up. A liquid diet can go a long way when you can't eat solid food.

Sah

I always say this, so I will sound like a broken record, but if you find you can't eat, really try and keep your fluids up. A liquid diet can go a long way when you can't eat solid food.

Sah

yeh thats what my psyc said to me

Archived