Mental Health Forums

Do I Have An E.d

fate

i have been so nervous about writing on here but feel like i need some advise

i dont eat 3 meals a day and always skip breakfast. i try to eat maybe 1 meal a day or 2 snacks

sometimes i will eat more than this i suppose it just depends on my mood that day

my brothers and sisters tell me that i'm anerexic and my mum always says i am to thin

i am slightly underweight. i never try to make my self sick

anyone got any advise ???

thanks

An eating disorder is to do with your attitude towards food. I have suffered with anorexia and am now bulimic. You can be a little underweight and be completely healthy it depends on your build and the sort of activities you take part in (sports, walking etc...) without knowing what weight/height/build you are it is impossible to judge. I would also need to see like a week's worth of food diary. Parents/siblings don't know everything and you should seek a professional opinion if you are worried. If you need to talk I am here and perhaps we could find a positive way forward from this. xxx

An eating disorder is to do with your attitude towards food. I have suffered with anorexia and am now bulimic. You can be a little underweight and be completely healthy it depends on your build and the sort of activities you take part in (sports, walking etc...) without knowing what weight/height/build you are it is impossible to judge. I would also need to see like a week's worth of food diary. Parents/siblings don't know everything and you should seek a professional opinion if you are worried. If you need to talk I am here and perhaps we could find a positive way forward from this. xxx

i am 7st 11 pounds and i am 5 ft 4 i dont really eat certain foods the amount of food i eat really just depends on my mood

Hi again Fate, I just worked out your BMI and I made it 18.7 which is at the bottom of healthy. I hope this is of help. Like I said if you want to look at how you are eating a couple of days-a week of what you have eaten would be good. I appreciate that your consumption depends on your feelings that day which is why a food diary helps. It is good that you don't want to make yourself sick and that you are eating at least one good meal a day, sometimes two small ones. A lot of people skip breakfast so don't put pressure on yourself to live up to some false ideal.

I think it depends on WHY you are restricting your intake....

I have been eating disordered for years, but it wasn't until I got a diagnosis that I admitted it to myself, now I can look back and see that even in the years leading up to getting help I was already in deep psychologically.

My advice would be not to get caught up with numbers but explore the reasons behind your behaviour... If you have an understanding GP maybe you could talk about your concerns with them? Although in my experience doctors tend to focus too much on weight and height ratios without realising that a lot of the damage is done psychologically before you become physically unwell... and you don't have to be emaciated to have an eating disorder.

Hope you give it some thought x

Hi again Fate, I just worked out your BMI and I made it 18.7 which is at the bottom of healthy. I hope this is of help. Like I said if you want to look at how you are eating a couple of days-a week of what you have eaten would be good. I appreciate that your consumption depends on your feelings that day which is why a food diary helps. It is good that you don't want to make yourself sick and that you are eating at least one good meal a day, sometimes two small ones. A lot of people skip breakfast so don't put pressure on yourself to live up to some false ideal.

ok thank you for helping me out it has helped

and i will keep a food diary and let you know how it goes

thankyou soo much

I just wanted to say, seeking your GP's advice would be the first step to make. Let us know how you get on.

Take good care, thanks for sharing & welcome to the boards. xxx

I just wanted to say, seeking your GP's advice would be the first step to make. Let us know how you get on.

Take good care, thanks for sharing & welcome to the boards. xxx

ok thank you

and i will let you no how things go

• 8 months later...

i have been so nervous about writing on here but feel like i need some advise

i dont eat 3 meals a day and always skip breakfast. i try to eat maybe 1 meal a day or 2 snacks

sometimes i will eat more than this i suppose it just depends on my mood that day

my brothers and sisters tell me that i'm anerexic and my mum always says i am to thin

i am slightly underweight. i never try to make my self sick

anyone got any advise ???

thanks

sinse i posted this my BMI has droped to 16.1

and i have been restricting food to between 200-800 cals a day

and have binged and purged on occasions and now that i have read this back i now that i wasn't completley honest

with my self

just thought i should let you know how i was gettin on

I don't think you have an eating disorder, those with eating disorders, are fastidious about what they eat.

You aren't.

My son is 16, leaves the house at 8am and does not eat until 5pm, then only one meal a day, with snacks if he wants.

At weekends he eats twice a day, once a toastie and then his dinner.

He is skinny, but is not underweight for his height which is 5ft 10".

I never eat breakfast, I eat when I am hungry, sometimes that is only once a day, and never a meal, maybe a sandwich.

Archived