Mental Health Forums

Your Good Beliefs

Miko

What are your good beliefs that you would like to mention?

One of mine is:

All manner of things will be well -

- not all things, just some (during lifetime)

You never know what the future holds, so better to live it to find out.

I believe beneath the pain is a good person who just can't see it.

I believe that it's never too late.

I believe that somewhere someone holds the answers.

I believe things can only get better.

I believe that whenever you take any action that is in accordance with realising your own personal potential, life always lends a hand, so that things work.

For instance, I lived in North east england, and I was as miserable as sin.

I got so depressed, that even as an agorohobic, late developer, I was prepared to move away and start afresh.

Prior to this I had been in my miserable job 13 years, kidding myself I was at home there, when really I was insecure.

I took a leap of faith, put the house on the market, moved to the south, found a new job and nice place to live.

Everything fell in lovely.

Things only seem to go wrong when we expect them, or when we are doing something insincere, unhealthy, I find.

I have to post the Ten Principles of Burning Man because that event and its community has and continues to transform me and everything about my life. So, pasted from www.burningman.com:

Ten Principles

Radical Inclusion

Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.

I used to be like Groucho Marx and say, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

Gifting

Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.

every act of kindness, generosity, or affection in my family was a transactional one which required at least a pound of flesh in return.

Decommodification

In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.

My parents even made me sign a contract at age 19 that said that if they offered me anything, I MUST REFUSE IT??????!!!!!! I developed the affirmation, "whomever pays for you, owns you". Only the burner community altered that sick trajectory.

Radical Self-reliance

Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.

No more malingering or playing helpless! No more identifying with being "sick"!!!! we are all necessary, and the Universe is sufficient.

Radical Self-expression

Radical self-expression arises from the unique gifts of the individual. No one other than the individual or a collaborating group can determine its content. It is offered as a gift to others. In this spirit, the giver should respect the rights and liberties of the recipient.

Everyone is a freak! embrace your freakiness! that is the quickest route to self-acceptance--self-EXPRESSION!

Communal Effort

Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration. We strive to produce, promote and protect social networks, public spaces, works of art, and methods of communication that support such interaction.

I have never before belonged to a true community that supports its members instead of one-upping them

Civic Responsibility

We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.

I could never join a group that didn't have a political/global human rights agenda, that would be a waste of time and just escapism

Leaving No Trace

Our community respects the environment. We are committed to leaving no physical trace of our activities wherever we gather. We clean up after ourselves and endeavor, whenever possible, to leave such places in a better state than when we found them.

This has always been my moral imperative and it feels good to belong to an entire community with the same values

Participation

Our community is committed to a radically participatory ethic. We believe that transformative change, whether in the individual or in society, can occur only through the medium of deeply personal participation. We achieve being through doing. Everyone is invited to work. Everyone is invited to play. We make the world real through actions that open the heart.

My previous life of wallflower vs. extreme histrionic rebel needed a sane middle ground. As my dear friend A. says, "We don't party for entertainment, we party for Enlightenment."

Immediacy

Immediate experience is, in many ways, the most important touchstone of value in our culture. We seek to overcome barriers that stand between us and a recognition of our inner selves, the reality of those around us, participation in society, and contact with a natural world exceeding human powers. No idea can substitute for this experience.

This was/is maybe the hardest lesson, for my pack-rat self. I stored away everything, every hurt, every obsession, every scrap of art supply and every scrap of toxic relationships. Burn it all! send it back into the Taoist River of Being! I am so glad to have escaped the jail-like confines of my former Materialism!

I wish the broader culture was still hippie, I remember the anti-fascist films of my childhood in the seventies, for example "the wave"

In 1976, at the Cubberley High School in Palo Alto, California, World History teacher Ron Jones was asked about the Holocaust by a student. "Could it happen here?". According to the press release accompanying the latest retelling of the events that followed, "Jones came up with an unusual answer. He decided to have a two week experiment in dictatorship. His idea was to explain fascism to his class through a game, nothing more. He never intended what resulted, where his class would be turned into a Fascist environment. Where students gave up their freedom for the prospect of being superior to their neighbors.

weird and freaky definitely are pro-evolutionary!!!!! Your 7yr old rocks!

One of my beliefs is also that its never too late... never too late to make changes/ never too late to make amends etc.

My most desired belief is that I'll find true happiness one day. Maybe I'll meet "the one" & have children. Hopefully they'll love me for who I am without wanting to change me.

We had to read The Wave in school English Literature! Yes fantastic book that proved a good point. Would love to read that again, haven't seen the movie though didn't know there was one.

Archived