Mental Health Forums

Anyone On Olanzapine

purplechick

hi. i have recently been put into olanzapine and my psyc warned me that a side effect was putting on weight. im already getting a larger appetite after only a couple of days! i really dont want to put on weight as my bmi is already 27!!

is anyone on this and have they found it makes them put on weight??

I was on it a couple of years ago and I took myself off it cos I put on so much weight. However, everyon'es body is different and reacts in it's own way. xxx

I was on it a couple of years ago and I took myself off it cos I put on so much weight. However, everyon'es body is different and reacts in it's own way. xxx

thanx roses, well i have another appt with my psyc in a couple of weeks, so if i find myself continue to get really hungry and putting on weight, i will ask her to change it! xx

i was on it and found i had an increased appetite although the routine i have makes it difficult for me to increase the amount i eat anyway (am phobic of people seeing me eat so at work it kinda makes it easier to resist the urge to eat). i did stop it though because of some extreme side effects unrelated to weight gain.

what i try to do with meds that can make you gain weight is change the food i have around me, eg instead of a sandwich i have a tonne of raspberries and so on. also i try to do a little more physical stuff than i did before, even if just 5-10 minutes of walking or cycling (i have a static bike) and then you can increase it a minute a go if you want.

xxx

i was on it and found i had an increased appetite although the routine i have makes it difficult for me to increase the amount i eat anyway (am phobic of people seeing me eat so at work it kinda makes it easier to resist the urge to eat). i did stop it though because of some extreme side effects unrelated to weight gain.

what i try to do with meds that can make you gain weight is change the food i have around me, eg instead of a sandwich i have a tonne of raspberries and so on. also i try to do a little more physical stuff than i did before, even if just 5-10 minutes of walking or cycling (i have a static bike) and then you can increase it a minute a go if you want.

xxx

hiya, if you dont mind me asking what ere the other side effects you got? xx

ok really dont take this as meaning it will happen, apparently its a rare side effect and as far as i remember im the only one i know of having it so dont let it put you off, plus it is something you can watch out for signs for early on and it took a while to get into full flow and i just didnt realize it was the pill.

ok

i dissociate anyway, but it became almost constant, i was never with it and s/h got incredibly worse and i didnt even remember doing it. it got very dangerous with some of the things i was doing whilst out of it and as soon as the doc got wind of it he stopped it and within about a week i was back to 'normal'.

also i found if i took it at night it had a terrible hangover effect but that bit did go away by the doc changing the time i took it to the morning.

just a note though, oddly enough it did stabilize a lot of other stuff, so if it hadnt been for that side effect i would have loved it. typical :lol:

xxx

i am on olanzapine too but ive just had my dose halved and the bigger dose made me eat and eat, i would wake up in the middle of the night and munch on anything, i also found i had the hangover effect the next day and i wouldnt wake up til early afternoon but now on a very low dose im not eating so much and i can get up at a reasonable hour, on the plus side its helped my flashbacks immensely, i dont hear voices anybmore or see bad things, i know im over weight but i think i prefer that to hearing voices etc, also its stopped my periods which for me is great thing!!

id say keep with it and just do mroe exercise if you are worried abotu weight gain

I was on it for only a few weeks and I went up pant sizes (litterally). I have also heard (not confirmed) of it causing diabetes.

i put on 4 stone but for me its worth it i did ask the doc to change it and was put on rispiridone which gave me bad side effects and then on quitiapine which also caused bad side effects so im back on olanzapine i find its the best one for me everyone is different

i put on 4 stone but for me its worth it i did ask the doc to change it and was put on rispiridone which gave me bad side effects and then on quitiapine which also caused bad side effects so im back on olanzapine i find its the best one for me everyone is different

i was on risperidone before this and also had bad side effects with that. i have to admit that this med is having an improvment on me (although i have been having alot of nervous twitches today, which i hope will pass) but the main reason im concerned is cos im already over weight and cant afford to put anymore weight on

Hi my husband took this for a couple of years, he put a fair bit of weight on. Initially he was very sedated with this drug and kept having shivers during the day. He also had a couple of episodes of uncontrollable jerking of his arms which lasted only a couple of seconds at a time. The inital side effects wore off after a few weeks but he still had a good appetite and night sweats long term.

I know the side effects of some of these drugs can be unpleasant but try to weigh up the pro's and con's of taking the meds and if the side effects are greater than the benefits then it may be worth asking for a meds review.

p1

Hi my husband took this for a couple of years, he put a fair bit of weight on. Initially he was very sedated with this drug and kept having shivers during the day. He also had a couple of episodes of uncontrollable jerking of his arms which lasted only a couple of seconds at a time. The inital side effects wore off after a few weeks but he still had a good appetite and night sweats long term.

I know the side effects of some of these drugs can be unpleasant but try to weigh up the pro's and con's of taking the meds and if the side effects are greater than the benefits then it may be worth asking for a meds review.

p1

its so hard to decide whether i want to be well, but over weight (which will make me unhappy)

or unwell but at a healthy weight

• 2 weeks later...

hi

i was on this for a year and a half and i put on a lot of wieght so i took myself off it and my pdoc gave me amisulpride instead. i'm (very) slowly losing the weight now and i don't have night sweats any more.

helen x

• 2 months later...

yes i am on olanzapine i have put on 4 stone in a couple of years and im always eating in the evenings im going to the docs on monday to ask him to change it. what do i say to him

Archived