Mental Health Forums

Protein

buoyantcat

When I first visited my (old, no longer seeing) therapist, she asked me about my diet and what I was eating. As we talked, we figured out that I probably wasn't including enough protein in my diet. I also wasn't drinking enough water.

So, she started me on this thing where I include more protein in my diet. First, I tried the protein powder, then just eating more meats and cheeses, and now I try to eat a protein bar at least once a day, if not, then two. She told me that too much carbohydrate filled foods can make people more on the depressed side, pissed off, "I hate life" kind of mode.

I tried this protein thing, and also drinking more water, and it seemed to help. It doesn't always help, but if I keep it up on a regular basis, I seem to have less, or not so low, down times.

Has anyone else ever heard/been told about adding protein to their diet? For awhile, I told my therapist that I thought this was just a "mind thing". But I'm not so sure. Keep in mind, it's NOT a low carb diet. I'm simply adding protein to my diet. Just wondering if I'm not the only one who's heard of this or does this???

I hadn't thought about it, but the last ten years I have started eating a lot more protein myself - and I have been a lot better. My husband likes meat or fish at every meal and I started to provide it and hence also eat it. I also drink lots more water than I used to - I find I really like water now.

I never thought there may be a connection.

ok a lack in following can cause depression

B1 - foods seeds, nuts, milk, liver, fish, meat, chicken

B3 - same as B1

Calcium - found in dairy products, loads in almonds, leafy vegitables

they are the main ones but you need a balanced diet with plenty of water, fruit and vegs. dont smoke, limit alcohol, exercisee and practise good eating habits. it sounds easy but i know its not and this is coming from someone with an eating disorder.have you seen the healthy eating pyramid? take a look at one, it gives you an idea of what you may eat less, moderately and most. its interesting and may give you a few ideas. even though i dont eat i can give you some nice recipies for high protein meals. protein is good for the mind and helps nourish the memory aswell as your hair nails, teeth and bones. but your mind most importantly.

let me know if you want my recipies ok

raggy

I would like some of your "high protein" recipes, RagDoll. Should I get ahold of you through e-mail, or would you like to post them here?

Buoycat....

I'm a strong believer in the high protein diet and the positive effects it can have on people mentally and physically.

Have you ever heard of anyone discussing their child's ADD? Some take meds, but some respond well to a change of diet.

I believe that carbs effect some like the change of diet for an ADD child.

My husband wanted to lose weight when we were dating and stopped all carbs - went on the Atkins Diet - ate all he wanted in steak, chicken, shrimp, mushrooms, broccoli, and zucchini. In 6 weeks, he dropped almost 40#'s.

He was a new man. He courted me heavily at that time - confessing his love and dealing with my doubts and concerns that he would go running the other direction or change his mind at a moments notice.

He bought me a breath-taking ring and proposed to me.... the next day, he gave my daughter a ring for her b-day and asked her to be his daughter. I've never seen him smile or act so happy in the 3 years I'd known him. We actually had to plan the wedding quickly b/c we have 2 children each - each from different parents - and had to coordinate their summer schedules to get them together for one weekend at the same time.

I teased him about the diet and the fact that he proposed to me while carb-free, telling him if he'd never been on the diet, we'd not been married. I was originally kidding, but I know now, and probably did then too, that it was no joke.

I guess the carbs began with the wedding cake and honeymoon and have been full force ever since. He feels horrible all the time. He struggles from insane depression all the time.... he's tried to do the diet again but the carbs are so addicting and he cannot give them up.

He does eat well when I am there - lots of meat and healthy eating, but I don't know what he does during the day of course - fast food sometimes maybe - and when I'm out of town, I come home and find traces of unhealthy eating. Which makes him eat more unhealthy b/c he's depressed and disappointed about the binges.

So, yes - I'm a firm believer that some respond remarkably well to high protein, low (unhealthy) carbs. I believe in fruits and veggies carbs!

One of the things I found most difficult to accept was that he didn't think our marriage and our family were worth doing something as simple as giving up carbs for us to be able to have an emotionally happy life together. Such a simple request - but I know it's more than that now. And his carbs are a temporary fix for him - like a drug to an addict. But the long lasting effects make him worse and it's a never ending cycle.

Lanie <><

Many BPD people have eating disorders of one sort or another.

Dealing with eating disorders is extremely difficult. It is often only temporarily sucessful.

It is very difficult for people without eating disorders to understand that you can't just eat, or stop regurgitating, or stop eating a food you are addicted to.

Whether food causes revultion or craving, it is anything but simple. Many struggle for a life time.

I don't think that the Atkin's diet is a healthy diet to go on, but just simply increasing protein, maybe occasionally substituting protein for carbs is a healthy thing to do mentally and physically.

I am on a variation of the Atkins diet about 10 months out of the year for two years now and I lost almost 100 pounds the first year. Since I have adjusted it to maintenance, although I am still fat. I probably will go back on loss mode sometime soon. It's not healthy to lose too much too fast and you need to give your skin a chance to bounce back too.

I call it a variation because I eat more daily vegetables than it recommends - as a matter of fact I eat them to my heart's content. Also, most of the meat is lean, but not all of it.

I eat no sugar and no starch. If I really have a hankering for something tough I will eat it regardless. :) It doesn't happen too often anymore.

I also go on different diets when some things I love are in season - Like the plums on my tree - I will go on a fruit diet for a week. Just love that. Ditto for the pears and grapes.

We used to be hunters and gathereres - eating a variety of foods at every meal is actually not at all natural for our bodies. There are thousands of years of development that resulted in how our bodies work today - and almost all of it occurred as hunters and gatherers.

So we are used to eating meat and poultry and fish most all the time, but all other things are seasonal.

People also used to have shorter life spans and be badly nutritioned. So we do know things now - like that we need fiber and assorted nutrients. However, sugar (except as it occurs in vegetables and fruit naturally) and starch (except for the occasional roots, i.e. potatoes etc) are not part of a natural diet for humans. The fiber did not come from starchy products but from lots and lots of veggies and fruit as in season.

If you had asked me if I could live on such a diet a few years ago, I would have laughed at you. But I am really happy now - I like it! It still allows me some sweets - I just use artificial sweetener instead of sugar and make a mean Chocolate mousse.

I still have a lot of weight to lose - but this has kept me from the destructive path I was on - I would probably hardly be able to walk by now if I hadn't gone on the diet two years ago.

I do take carefully put together supplements. I feel physically great and have a lot of energy I never used to have.

I think Atkins can be very good for you if used judiciously and supplemented properly.

I personally get moody and irritable if I DON'T eat carbohydrates.Don't they contain or facilitate the production of triptofan which is a natural mood-elevator? And I thought the reason chocolate makes people feel good is because it releases certain brain chemicals. I do forget to eat enough protein sometimes.. I know simple carbohydrates cause a spike in blood sugar but I find complex ones keep me on an even keel and reduce mood swings.

That's me anyway

Toadstool

I've noticed that when my friend Roby goes on his "Atkins diet kick", that he is more irritable, and less patient, and also more tired. He won't admit to it, but I can see it in him. I also know of several people who had to get kidney stones removed after being on the Atkins diet for a long time. This is what worries me when I see Roby go on the diet. I do know that too much protein in a person's diet, is not good for their body. It's much too hard on the kidney. I guess, as I see it, the Atkins diet may work for some and not others. Diets don't all work the same for every person. If a person wants to diet, they should find the one that works best for them.

However, I was only talking about simply adding more protein to my diet. And instead of reaching for a Snickers bar and a coke, to reach for some sausauge/cheese and water. I really love eating pepperoni as a snack, as well as those mozzarella "string" cheese sticks. Mmmmm...

We're not supposed to go "no carbs". One needs Carbs. On Atkins you have 10 days of very low carbs, then you add them back in.

The difference is where you get your carbs - donuts or vegetables. Vegetables are carbs and fiber and all kinds of other nutrients, and with the exception of very sweet roots, you can eat veggies on Atkins all you like, really. Except for those ten first days, where your body switches from burning carbs to burning fat. Once it does that you are supposed to eat veggies and salads and berries and such.

I think there is a big misconception - Atkins is not a "diet" you go on for a couple of weeks to lose a few pounds. That is not healthy, and you'll gain it right back like anything else.

It's a longterm way of eating, and it includes actually plenty of carbs - just the healthy kind.

Another problem people have is that they don't drink enough water. You need to drink as much water as you can.

What trips a lot of people is the ten first days, when the body switches from burning carbs to burning fat. The switch is hard. It doesn't work instantly, and your body is confused, and there are lags in energy producing activity, so you feel tired. This stops though as soon as you add the carbs back in in the shape of veggies, after your body has switched.

Going on an "atkins diet kick" is bad for your health and not what the diet is intended to do. It is not a short term diet. It has a complete program, and as you advance through it you end up adding in more and more carbs until you find the point where you specifically start fgaining weight back. Then you know where your limit is, and it is different for everyone depending on metabolism.

I come from a family with both sides with kidney problems and have none. My good Cholesterol is way up and the bad stuff is down. I have normal sugar now - I was borderline Diabetic. There are a ton of health benfits to using a natural diet.

Archived