Mental Health Forums

Disturbing Act.

Shelley

Also, legally sane means they can tell that society thinks what they did is wrong. It doesn't mean they're completly sane.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also not talking about those with M/H issues showing compassion for those who commit criminal acts, but to show compassion for those that are obviously ill. Not all criminal acts are done by people that are ill, but when we thought that this cat had been mutilated by a person, that to me is a good indication that the person is ill.

However it would also be a possibility that the person was acting out revenge on the owner of the cat, in which case not an indicator of being ill at all, just of being a nasty person. I wouldn't feel compassion for this type of person, only the one that would have commited the act randomly and obviously ill and in need of help.

Although even in a revenge situation, unless you know the situation well there's no telling, temporary insanity in some cases maybe? I can think of situations where someone could lose the plot and do somethng terrible.

I also agree that there is no excuse, but there are reasons. This does not mean that you don't punish the person, of course there should be consequences to our actions no matter how sick we are. I don't feel we should say sod it and let there be no laws or morals for people that are ill, I think that these people should be helped though as well as suffering the consequences of their actions. I don't think doing to them what they did to the animal is an appropriate consequence however. And I also don't think calling them names is helpful in anyway, it will just send them into hiding, and make them more likely to act out.

Well I have psychosis and if I did that to a cat I would expect to be called a sick fucker 'cos it is sick. I think the whole 'name calling' thing is great to hide behind. Defer from the actual point that it IS a sick thing to do to an animal. Oooh how dare she call them names. Everybody calls everyone names I think you can be too politically correct sometimes. I really do.

It's not about being politically correct at all Roses, what I am concerned about is that by calling them names like that, they will go into hiding, they won't seek help, they will be in that unstable environment with no support as mentioned before where it makes them in the higher risk category of acts of violence, and next time it might not be a cat!

Yes I think they are sick, yes I think they should be punished, yes I feel bad for the cat, it's owner and all those that witnessed it, but what I don't want is to think that someone else, who gets these urges, but has so far controlled them, will go into hiding, not seek help for fear of this kind of condemnation, and then become the person that commits an act like this or worse.

I also don't see how you have percieved me as to be deferring from the point that the person is sick? Have I not been continually saying the person is sick?

A good point to note is also that although those with mental health problems statistically commit more crimes, those who recieve proffesional support are no more likely to commit crime than the general population. This to me shows how important it is that these people have a support system and some kind of help, because it is clear that the support significantly reduces the rates of violence and crime.

Politically correct or not, it doesn't solve anything. It doesn't help anything.

And it actually makes things worse. It is why most people who have this keep it to themselves. Talking actually helps, so that takes away something that helps. I don't mean helps us feel better, necessarily. I mean helps us keep ourselves from doing stuff like this.

I think if anyone really has a problem with this stuff happening, they would try and prevent it. Taking away something that can prevent it is just dumb.

I am sorry if I offend anyone, it's not about political correctness at all, it's about honesty. But the good thing about this forum is that we can debate something like this, have different opinions and still get along. Because although I make my point about this topic, I can still understand and have compassion for those that disagree with me.

Exactly. We can have different opinions and still get on. I wasn't referrring to or singling out any one person's comment and have no problem with anyone on this thread. I only vented by calling the villains names on this thread cos it is a safe environment. I totally understand that calling someone names would possibly prevent them from feeling they could access the correct support. as I said I only vented a bit on here cos I know it's safe to give an opinion. As I said earlier I will not share my opinions like this again if it is going to cause all this. Christ, people post a lot worse and no-one blinks an eye but because the perpetrator may possibly have a MH issues all of a sudden they are exempt?

Ok I'm not going to talk about it anymore. I was hoping to bring about awareness. I was hoping people actually wanted to do something to keep this stuff from happening.

Why do I even bother? You obviously don't mind it happening because you won't even listen to solutions. So why am I bothering?

Why I am bothering to keep myself from doing anything when you (general population) so obviously don't care? All this time, I've been keeping myself under control for your morals, not mine. I've tried talking because it helps sometimes, but what's the point when talking doesn't do anything? When having people like me insulted just makes things worse?

Why am I even bothering to keep myself from doing what I so want to do?

Ok I'm not going to talk about it anymore. I was hoping to bring about awareness. I was hoping people actually wanted to do something to keep this stuff from happening.

Why do I even bother? You obviously don't mind it happening because you won't even listen to solutions. So why am I bothering?

Why I am bothering to keep myself from doing anything when you (general population) so obviously don't care? All this time, I've been keeping myself under control for your morals, not mine. I've tried talking because it helps sometimes, but what's the point when talking doesn't do anything? When having people like me insulted just makes things worse?

Why am I even bothering to keep myself from doing what I so want to do?

You have brought awareness ocean. But having awareness doesn't take people's feelings away. Most people feel it is wrong to hurt an animal or person, and to do so is a 'sick' act. The person who does things like that, are ill. That is a fact that you, yourself have been pointing out. It is an illness that you suffer, and while name calling might not be helpful, you can't change how people feel when things like this happen.

While you wish others would have more compassion, others wish people wouldn't do these things in the first place, and it is sometimes difficult to have compassion for people who hurt animals and people. As much as it is an illness, and it's a shame there is not more treatment and awareness about it, people have a right to be upset, and express their feelings about such acts. It should be recognised as an illness, but not excused, and certainly not socially acceptable behaviour, nor should it ever be accepted.

It is each persons responsibility, if they have a mental illness that poses a risk and danger to themselves, or the public, including animals, to do something about their illness to prevent people/animals being hurt/killed.

There is a difference between accepting a person, and accepting their behaviour, and while people like yourself who have these urges etc are more than likely lovely, compassionate people, the behaviour of acting out those urges certainly isn't acceptable. It is fundamentally wrong, and sick, to inflict pain an death upon another living being and while there are reasons why people do these things, their mental illness does not excuse that behaviour, and it is something that people in general will never tolerate, never accept, and will always have a hard time being compassionate about.

it must be difficult in your position, and i can see you struggle with these urges, and the fact that you're not supported adequately but i'd like to point out that as a person you're not being judged, and neither are the people that do these things. It is their behaviour that is being judged, and each person is responsible for their behaviour and finding ways of managing these urges, and if someone is not able to manage and control them, or does not seek out treatment or help to do this, the person is very rightly called sick.

I think if people really didn't want us not to do things in the first place, they would actually try to prevent it from happening in the first place.

That was very well put Wobbles.

I cannot drive because of my medication. My licence as taken away (and rightly so) because I would be dangerous on the roads and could potentially kill someone if I was not in full control of my faculties due to meds. I was upset and angry at first when they did it but now I understand that this privelidge has been withdrawn for a damn good reason. How would I feel if I killed a child or an animal? It is better that I receive the support I need with my medication than to drive. I guess what I'm saying is you don't need to have a certain type of mental illness to potentially be a killer. You don't have to commit to a violent act to have a devastating effect.

I think if people really didn't want us not to do things in the first place, they would actually try to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I completely agree that there needs to be more awareness, more understanding, more treatment and support, but i don't believe it's the general publics place to take responsibility for the actions of those who make no effort to get what support and treatment there is available. We're all responsible for ourselves.

Archived