Mental Health Forums

Sensitive To Meds

Unclear1

Hi All

I am having a really bad time recently, voices, flashbacks and mood swings to say the least. I went to the doc yesterday in tears and she gave me Abilify and told me to come back and see her in a fortnight. I took a 5mg tablet yesterday, I am not on any other meds. About half an hour after I took the tablet I started to have weird feelings in my stomach and then felt really sick and started to feel sleepy and even more confused too. I ended up going to bed about 4pm yesterday and dozed on and off until about 11pm today and still felt sick. I haven't taken todays dose and I don't want to touch the stuff again but the doc may think I don't want her to help me, she seemed a bit of a moody mare. I went to see a gp because I couldn't get an appointment with my psychiatrist. I am afraid to go back to her and say I am not taking the meds she gave me. I have tried lots of anti-psychotic and anti-depressant meds over the years and they either don't make any difference to my moods or they make me feel ill. The last time I saw my psychiatrist he suggested ecitalopram and I said I would think about taking that, has anyone ever tried it? I have taken citalopram in the past and I tried to kill myself a week after I started taking it (didn't know it increased suicidal tendancies). I feel really lost at the moment. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I also had a horrible reaction to Abilify 5mg. Made me dizzy, weak, sick to my stomach, etc. I told the dr and we tried something else. I say to let your dr know that you had a bad reaction... don't take something that makes you feel ill.

Good luck hun

I also had a horrible reaction to Abilify 5mg. Made me dizzy, weak, sick to my stomach, etc. I told the dr and we tried something else. I say to let your dr know that you had a bad reaction... don't take something that makes you feel ill.

Good luck hun

Thanks Tiellover. I haven't taken any more of the Abilify. I might try to see the doc sooner and speak to her, still a bit worried though.

Hey unclear1. I'm sorry you are having problems with meds, too. Having a paradox reaction is pretty much as bad as it gets. I reacted exactly the same way like you did when my doc put me on citalopram. It was actually the first psych drug I ever took. Fortunately I knew about the possible side effects. But I only knew about by chance. My pdoc didn't tell me anything about it.

I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't known about the side effects. I honestly thought I was going insane. So sorry, you had to go through this as well.

I don't have any experiences with Abilify or ecitalopram. However, my advice for you is to consult with your pdoc again before you start taking escitalopram because it is an SSRI also. After my paradox reaction my pdoc made a very big note for my file saying "NO SSRIs" !!!!!

I really don't understand why your pdoc wants you to take it. Well I am not a doctor yet but, it's the same drug class. Hence, it's very likely to go wrong again.

I and my pdoc agreed that I shouldn't be taking any meds whatsoever until I have time to go stationary. Without meds I can manage. It's not fun at all and I am seriously depressed etc. but without meds I will not end up killing myself. I'm gonna go to hospital as soon as I can (autumn) so they can find out which meds work for me in safety.

Maybe you should do that, too

Archived