Mental Health Forums

Tramadol As An Antidepressant?

Danni

OK, here's the score:

I was on Prozac about a year ago. Didn't help, made me worse. Came off them, partly because I was breastfeeding. I went into hospital a few weeks ago, was put on Effexor. Went from 37.5mg to 150mg within 1 1/2 weeks, the side effects were unbearable, constant nausea and dizziness. I took them in the morning and I couldn't eat or do anything all day, I felt that ill. Took them in the evening and I felt too ill to sleep, and the next day still couldn't eat until about 5pm, when the nausea would ease enough to let me. The dizziness meant I couldn't concentrate on anything, I kept feeling like I was going to fall over, so I daren't try to do anything. I thought the side effects would ease off, but just before I came off them (they were reduced to 75mg after a week on 150mg) I'd even started vomiting. The doc only let me come off them because I was going home and I told him I couldn't take them at home.

Since then I've not been on anything for the depression, and have lorazepam for very occasional use with my anxiety. However, my doc's changed my dose of tramadol, which I get for the gallstone pain. I've gone from only taking them when in pain to taking them 4 times a day, and I'm finding I can sorta cope better since I changed. The side effects are bearable (tiredness, mild dizziness, pleasant hallucinations and numbness). They get rid of my gallstone pain most of the time, so until I get my gallbladder I'll be taking them.

Is it possible they could be working as an antidepressant? I've only been taking them like this for a few days, so I guess I'll find out how I'm affected more when my body gets used to them. They certainly seem to be making life slightly more bearable. What do you think? I don't trust my GP so I can't ask him, and I don't see my psychiatrist for a month, so I guess I'll tell them if I still feel the same then.

Hi, I suffer from chronic back pain, and I am prescribed Tramadol for that. I am not sure how it affects my mood. But I do know that being in constant pain affects my mood. It wears you down emotionally and physically. Also the effects of not being as active as you maybe were. I havent heard of it being used as an antidepressant. So I can only go on the pain factor. It is horrible to be in pain! Don't know what you think? Rachel

Well, my pain isn't constant... when I'm in pain though it gets so bad I sometimes pass out. I was looking it up this morning and tramadol is meant to have an antidepressant effect in mice (I didn't know mice could get depressed!) so I guess it's possible. I just know that all the sleep I'm getting from it is good :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have never ehard this one befpre but if you have been givenit for deression there obviously must be reason for it. I regularly take tramadol, for the pain I suffer from endometriosis, gives me constant severe pain most of the time. I do find it makes me very spaced when i take it, lately I have been taking the slow release version which is only taken twice a day and gives continual pain relief, where as with the normal ones it would work for couple of hours then pain would return, having the continual effect and helping pain it does have an effect on my depression, being the pain is at times what makes me depressed so when I am nbot in so much pain the depression doesnt seem so bad. sorry if this doesnt make sense, cant get my brain or fingers to co-ordinate very well today!

Now I have been given dothiepin, hoping that it will help me sleep better and as well because o sleep better will be able to cope better with the pain.

Take care

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

I take tramadol for chronic back pain and I read on the internet about it being used for depression also so I asked my pdoc and she said something about the serotonin in your brain has 2 sides to it. One is for depression and one for pain but she said she would never give it for depression bc the research she has gotten has said it has very little effect on depression. I know it doesnt help my moods.

IMO, chronic pain does cause depression. If your taking a pain killer and if its working and your depression is gone.......then reducing the pain has a positive effect upon your mental status. Let your doc know of this.

Maybe check out wellbutrin....or.....so many other antidepressants that are less harsh on the body. Keep talking with your doc. I hope that you are careful to monitor your depression if it occurs prior to you appontment(s). Don't go into crisis while waiting to be seen.

Wisdom

Archived