Mental Health Forums

Would You Report Someone For Benefit Fraud?

tinkerbelle

would you report someone for benefit fraud?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. would you report someone for benefit fraud?

• yes
    • No

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ocean Wolf

• angelsavo

• Roses

• Sammy

Yes, I would. I have trouble respecting people who take advantage of the system so they can just be lazy when there are deserving people who actually do need it. They make things more difficult for no good reason.

It's funny you ask, I used to have friends on benefits that had bf's move in with them that earned and contributed but they never declared it. I just saw it as something that happened, but when Martin moved in I could not bring msyelf to do that and declared our living arrangements straight away.

hell yes, thats my taxes theyr stealling. 2 billion pound a yr in benifit fruad, if people didnt do this then that moeny could go to people and servuce that need it. when i was a student i worked tons to pay through uni, i was broke, had no parents to pay for anything, lived on virtually nothing each wk once bills were payed so no way would i be happy with people stealing.

hell yes, thats my taxes theyr stealling. 2 billion pound a yr in benifit fruad, if people didnt do this then that moeny could go to people and servuce that need it. when i was a student i worked tons to pay through uni, i was broke, had no parents to pay for anything, lived on virtually nothing each wk once bills were payed so no way would i be happy with people stealing.

Absoloutly

I think this would make an interesting thread,If you knew someone who was screwing the system would you report them?I would.

Hi,

This is an interessting one and too be honest i am unsure. i am a single mother with a mortgage and bills to pay and life is hard. The benefits system is good but i can't help but think I would feel guilt if i grassed on another single mother who was also struggling because she was claimimg a benefit she wasn't entitled to. I have sadly been in this situation though and have told the authorities because somebody confided in me that their husband was earning but claimimg benefits. I used to work for revenue and customs and if they found i knew i would have been fired so I had to tell.

nope i wouldnt cos i have had it done to me- for no reason really and they p;aid me hlaf pay for ages and it pissed me right off!!! i was working 10 hours a week and claiming benefits and i got grassed up and got cautioned and everything by the benefits fraud system and it sucked!!! so i probably wouldnt

No because it would be none of my business. I would bet the authoriities are onto them sharipish, as they are much stricter now.

That is just my view, though, and although it makes sense to me, I respect that others may have differing views.

i wouldnt cos you dont know what the actual situation and you dont know wether or not they are minimising things to you if they make out they are doing well even though they are claiming benefits...we all know what it means to put on a facade and looke 'fine' to others.

and frankly its pointless saying its stealing from the people who need it. nobody genuinely believes anyone really needs it and is really too ill to work. its only in abstract theory that people pay lip service to the 'those who are genuinely ill should get it' and particularly when people have invisble illnesses that is the case.

it does piss me off that some people cheat but you cant be sure someone is and why put them through a whole investigation on the chance they are. In addition there are research studies (dont ask me where lol ) that show in main it is large organised crime people who are doing the benefit cheating.

No.

One exception; if there was a vulnerable person not receiving the care they need, or being ripped off, because of this deceit, then I would without hesitation.

But in general, I have found that the people who are benefit fraudsters are from the lower stratas of society (ie me, although I never have cheated); stuck in horrible loops and desperate; happy to have a free few quid. When you see city bankers in cashmere coats at the train station every morning who dont even realise there is a council estate with struggling people in the same village-well, whats a few quid between friends?

I was always taught to be honest and respect the authorities, but never grass.

reb

yeah that is a good point reb.

there isnt a fraud line for 'professionals' claiming expenses. even the mps we only know about cos of the press there arent loads of ads or telephone numbers or things to report them. and we all know its not just mps its mass scale charging everything to expenses in most organisations. And if its not expenses its people 'borrowing' stationery, using the office photo copier/ telephone/ spending half day on facebook etc.. etc..

and lets not forget all the 'perks' that nhs workers get...cheap gym, deals with loads of shops and hten they moan about salaries. It amounts to stealing from the tax payer and the organisations/bosses

To be honest I do not think I would. I have known what it is like to be on minimum benefits when my marriage broke up and I could not make ends meet, was like that for a long time. If someone is doing something to get that little bit extra cash they so desperately need then who am I to stop them!!

On other hand you do get them greedy gits who are doing it on a large scale so the arguement could go on and on. I think it would depend on the situation sooooo really I dunno :lol: as at the end of the day it is WRONG in the eyes of the law and government.

I am a beleiverr in what goes around comes around so they will get caught eventually as things are getting tighter within benefits system.

Leslie x

When I was a single Mum I used to work p/t and was on benefits and, yes, it was hard and I went without for my children. But I never took a penny more than I was entitled to and that gave me self-esteem. It can be hard but a lot of people who claim to be 'skint' (like mt sister-in-law) are smoking 20 a day and always seem to have money for beer or to go out on a Saturday or to go to McDonalds with the kids. This is not being skint, this is bad money management and it used to make me sick when she moaned about it being so tough as she lit up another ciggie and opened a can. Really wrong.

i wouldnt cos you dont know what the actual situation and you dont know wether or not they are minimising things to you if they make out they are doing well even though they are claiming benefits...we all know what it means to put on a facade and looke 'fine' to others.

and frankly its pointless saying its stealing from the people who need it. nobody genuinely believes anyone really needs it and is really too ill to work. its only in abstract theory that people pay lip service to the 'those who are genuinely ill should get it' and particularly when people have invisble illnesses that is the case.

it does piss me off that some people cheat but you cant be sure someone is and why put them through a whole investigation on the chance they are. In addition there are research studies (dont ask me where lol ) that show in main it is large organised crime people who are doing the benefit cheating.

i think loads of people genuinely need it and would much rather it went to them than somebody who intentionaly commits fraud. i live in scotland and its very common for elderly to die in the winter here cause of teh weather, the tiny amount they get for extra heating is a joke, id much prefer to see the money go to them, or to others who have a genuine need. thats not lip service at all

When I was on social assistance and homeless, I got by with what they gave me. I didn't steal, I told them what money I made at my part-time job, and I worked toward getting back on my feet. If I hadn't, I would have no respect for myself.

A guy I know asked them for help for one month to make rent. He had enough trouble asking for help just that once because he also prefers earning things himself.

A girl my mom knows is on AISH (disability). She volunteers. Another person I know on AISH is part of the Schizophrenic Society and when she feels well enough, she acts in their acting group. Not that everyone is able to volunteer or do those things, but it's possible to get by on those by being honest.

Another guy I know wants to go on AISH. I don't even know if he has a disability or he's just a jerk. Maybe he is pretending to be fine and really isn't, but... His life goal is to sit on his ass and smoke pot all day. I've seen him treat his mom like shit when she provides everything for him. And then he laughs about using and abusing her. I've seen him steal five chocolate bars every evening for no reason other than he felt like it. I would much rather that money went to someone who is honest than a guy who just wants to take, take, take.

I no ppl that are i havent reportted it but i no its wrong to sooo i guess its not my place to be involed in it. x

got me thinkin now!

Archived