Mental Health Forums

Bing Eating-is There Meds To Help With This

axtell1080

ok thanks ill have try build up the bottle to talk to the doc or day hospital at sum point cos i just cant carry one doing this im hating it............

Hi, I found this on an Americal website. I must say though that St Johns wort can't be taken in conjunction with prescribed meds although I'm sure the B vitamins are fine. Always chek with your GP first.

Bring in the Bs

Because binge eaters tend to consume large quantities of high-fat foods that have little or no nutritional value, many are deficient in important B-complex vitamins and the minerals chromium, magnesium, and zinc, says Susan Kowalsky, N.D., a naturopathic doctor in Norwich, Vermont.

The B vitamins are needed to manufacture important brain chemicals, such as serotonin, that are responsible for regulating your moods, emotions, sleep patterns, and appetite. Vitamin B6, in particular, helps convert tryptophan (an amino acid found in many foods) to serotonin in your brain, says Dr. Kowalsky. Serotonin is one of the chemical messengers that has been closely associated with many emotional states, including depression.

Vitamin B12 also facilitates brain cell communication so that other neurotransmitters can work together to help relieve depression. In addition, this vitamin helps your body make use of other mood-elevating brain chemicals such as dopamine and norepinephrine.

Dr. Kowalsky suggests taking a high-quality B-complex multivitamin daily. These may be labeled as B-50 or B-100 complex multivitamins, depending on whether they contain 50 or 100 milligrams of the B vitamins that are listed on the label. Many brands are available.

Mind the Minerals

Chromium and magnesium can help eliminate cravings and stabilize levels of blood sugar (glucose), which fluctuate wildly when a person binges on large amounts of food, says Dr. Kowalsky.

Take 200 micrograms of chromium and 500 to 700 milligrams of magnesium daily, says Dr. Kowalsky, but be sure to check with your doctor first if you have heart or kidney problems.

Another mineral, zinc, is also a player. Supplementing with zinc can help derail your appetite by activating a brain signal that tells you when you’re hungry and when you’re full. Dr. Kowalsky recommends taking 15 milligrams of zinc daily. If you take a multivitamin, you’re probably getting all you need, since that’s the amount found in most multis.

Boost Serotonin with 5-HTP

Binge eaters commonly produce low levels of serotonin, the chemical messenger that plays an important role in depression. As a result, their appetites become ravenous. They tend to crave high-fat carbohydrates and are less likely to receive a signal telling them that they’re full.

That’s where 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) can help. Shortly after you take 5-HTP in supplement form, the compound travels to your brain, where it is converted to serotonin. The boost in serotonin will suppress your appetite and activate the brain signal that tells you that you’ve eaten enough. You’ll be in better spirits, your binge eating will be under control, and you’ll eventually lose weight, says Dr. Boggs.

She suggests taking 50 milligrams of 5-HTP three times a day as a starting point. If you don’t notice any decrease in your cravings and binge-eating episodes after six weeks, take 100 milligrams three times a day. If there is still no improvement after six weeks, increase to 200 milligrams three times a day, but don’t exceed 900 milligrams daily. You can find this supplement in health food stores. Be sure you don’t take it with other medications, especially antidepressants, however, unless you talk to your doctor.

Break the Cycle with St. John’s Wort

St. John’s wort is at the top of the list among herbalists for treating binge-eating disorder caused by mild to moderate depression, says Dr. Boggs. Like 5-HTP, this herb raises serotonin levels in the brain, but its action is different.

Researchers speculate that St. John’s wort may inhibit the enzyme called monoamine oxidase (MAO), which breaks down serotonin molecules and other brain chemicals. Or perhaps it increases the action of serotonin at the nerve endings in the brain. (A number of pharmaceutical antidepressants work this way, too.) Attached to the receptor sites in your brain, the serotonin helps to boost your mood, stabilize your appetite, alert you when you’re full, and prevent binge-eating episodes.

To get the benefits of St. John’s wort, Dr. Boggs suggests taking 300 milligrams two or three times a day with meals. Look for a standardized extract containing 0.3 percent hypericin.

Hi, I found this on an Americal website. I must say though that St Johns wort can't be taken in conjunction with prescribed meds although I'm sure the B vitamins are fine. Always chek with your GP first.

Bring in the Bs

Because binge eaters tend to consume large quantities of high-fat foods that have little or no nutritional value, many are deficient in important B-complex vitamins and the minerals chromium, magnesium, and zinc, says Susan Kowalsky, N.D., a naturopathic doctor in Norwich, Vermont.

The B vitamins are needed to manufacture important brain chemicals, such as serotonin, that are responsible for regulating your moods, emotions, sleep patterns, and appetite. Vitamin B6, in particular, helps convert tryptophan (an amino acid found in many foods) to serotonin in your brain, says Dr. Kowalsky. Serotonin is one of the chemical messengers that has been closely associated with many emotional states, including depression.

Vitamin B12 also facilitates brain cell communication so that other neurotransmitters can work together to help relieve depression. In addition, this vitamin helps your body make use of other mood-elevating brain chemicals such as dopamine and norepinephrine.

Dr. Kowalsky suggests taking a high-quality B-complex multivitamin daily. These may be labeled as B-50 or B-100 complex multivitamins, depending on whether they contain 50 or 100 milligrams of the B vitamins that are listed on the label. Many brands are available.

Mind the Minerals

Chromium and magnesium can help eliminate cravings and stabilize levels of blood sugar (glucose), which fluctuate wildly when a person binges on large amounts of food, says Dr. Kowalsky.

Take 200 micrograms of chromium and 500 to 700 milligrams of magnesium daily, says Dr. Kowalsky, but be sure to check with your doctor first if you have heart or kidney problems.

Another mineral, zinc, is also a player. Supplementing with zinc can help derail your appetite by activating a brain signal that tells you when you’re hungry and when you’re full. Dr. Kowalsky recommends taking 15 milligrams of zinc daily. If you take a multivitamin, you’re probably getting all you need, since that’s the amount found in most multis.

Boost Serotonin with 5-HTP

Binge eaters commonly produce low levels of serotonin, the chemical messenger that plays an important role in depression. As a result, their appetites become ravenous. They tend to crave high-fat carbohydrates and are less likely to receive a signal telling them that they’re full.

That’s where 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) can help. Shortly after you take 5-HTP in supplement form, the compound travels to your brain, where it is converted to serotonin. The boost in serotonin will suppress your appetite and activate the brain signal that tells you that you’ve eaten enough. You’ll be in better spirits, your binge eating will be under control, and you’ll eventually lose weight, says Dr. Boggs.

She suggests taking 50 milligrams of 5-HTP three times a day as a starting point. If you don’t notice any decrease in your cravings and binge-eating episodes after six weeks, take 100 milligrams three times a day. If there is still no improvement after six weeks, increase to 200 milligrams three times a day, but don’t exceed 900 milligrams daily. You can find this supplement in health food stores. Be sure you don’t take it with other medications, especially antidepressants, however, unless you talk to your doctor.

Break the Cycle with St. John’s Wort

St. John’s wort is at the top of the list among herbalists for treating binge-eating disorder caused by mild to moderate depression, says Dr. Boggs. Like 5-HTP, this herb raises serotonin levels in the brain, but its action is different.

Researchers speculate that St. John’s wort may inhibit the enzyme called monoamine oxidase (MAO), which breaks down serotonin molecules and other brain chemicals. Or perhaps it increases the action of serotonin at the nerve endings in the brain. (A number of pharmaceutical antidepressants work this way, too.) Attached to the receptor sites in your brain, the serotonin helps to boost your mood, stabilize your appetite, alert you when you’re full, and prevent binge-eating episodes.

To get the benefits of St. John’s wort, Dr. Boggs suggests taking 300 milligrams two or three times a day with meals. Look for a standardized extract containing 0.3 percent hypericin.

ah roses thank u so much for doing that reseach u are astar hun.xxxxxxxxxxxthaks.i will try and seek help from doc at sum point cos its geting out of controll..........xxxx

there are some prescription drugs where a 'side effect' i guess its called helps binge eating. im sure its prozac, but dont quote me on that. its one of the many meds i have taken for depression that had that as a effect x

• 1 month later...

They prescribe Zoloft for binge eating syndrome...Its an uptake inhibitor that increases your seratonin levels. They think that it is cause by elevated levels of cortisol brought on by stress...I have it too and have done alot of research....I take Zoloft and it has help a little bit....

Elyse

hi.

topomax is a really good appetete suppressor, also morks as a mood stabiliser.

prozac at 60mg is recommended for ed's, but it might work for some, never did for me. wellbutrin also definitely decreases appetite,

i take hoodia gordonii-herbal - from the health food shop - and a really good multivitamin w omegas (non marine life sourced) and im doing ok as regards binging, i rarely- (about once a fortnight) eat too much.

specific weight loss drugs such as accomplia and meridia are also mild serotonin thingies, so i dont knosw if you can take them with any other meds you are on.

jades- i was on topomax for about a month, and i could not think of words like 'cat' , 'chair' etc. it was almost funny...

• 1 month later...

I was prescribed citalopram for ed, didn't work much, but prozac has had more of an effect. I think anything to do with the serotonin pathways is good.

Im on venlafaxine (Effexor) 375mg..ive never had binge problem, but it causes anorexia (not nervosa) in the beginning at least..good or bad thing IDK. bad 4 me coz i struggle with AN so it made it a million times worse lol, so i wouldnt recomend it 4 ppl who r alredy struggling 2 eat!!

C xx

Archived