Mental Health Forums

About Benji

Kia

I know a few of you have become acquainted with my dad, know on here as Benji.

I'm just letting you know that he hasn't vanished without trace.

Yesterday morning the crisis team came to pay their morning visit and he was in quite a state and so they got him to agree to go into hospital.

While I know that sounds bad, I am sure that it is for the best. He will have trained staff on hand to help him deal with any issues he experiences, and of course he'll get the medication he needs to help him cope as well.

Unfortunately here in the UK we've just had Bank Holiday weekend/Monday so consultants were on emergency only and not actually in the hospital. Tomorrow, he should get properly assesed by a consultant and on Wednesday I am attending a meeting with dad, the consultant and several other staff members to see how he is doing and what the plan is for the immediate future.

I visited dad this afternoon and he was much more relaxed than he has been for some time. He got a decent nights sleep for the first time in ages, which I guess helped him out lots as he hadn't slept for over 3 days.

I'm willing to keep this thread updated to let you know how he's doing, until he comes home and can talk to you himself.

Kind Regards

Kia

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear KIa,

I'm sorry to hear bout your dad I know he was feeling realy bad. I'm glad to hear he has had some sleep. I hope he can get some peace in hossy. Please could u let him know he is being thought of and wishing him all the best. Also my hugs go out to you, it must be hard to deal with and I hope you are ok. Thanks so much for letting everybody know because I had been looking around today to see if I could find him. Bumble x

Thanks Bumble =)

Yes, I will pass on any messages, good thoughts and kind words left here.

He is thinking of you all, he specifically asked me, when I visited, to drop by and let you know he is OK, just not around for a while.

Hello Kia, nice to meet you, and thank you so much for letting us know, i was talking with your dad the other day im glad he is in a safe place and gonna be getting some support and some sleep, Im glad you have come on and let us know. hugs to you. can you send him my love and loads hugs please. how are you? hope you ok. thanks again xxxxxx Em

Give your dad my regards, Kia. If he gets 'down', tell him to think of a nice peaceful walk in Burton Dassett :).

I hope we see him back soon.

Thanks for letting us know. we all care about benji a lot. sand him my love if you can. you sound like an wonderfully supportive person and really pleased you came on here to let us know

xxx

hi,

what a great son/daughter you are, and thank you for telling us, i was actually looking for your dad in here today, i enjoy his convos in chat, thinking of you both will keep my eye out for news, take care xjellyx ((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Please send my regards and best wishes. I agree that he is in the right place and hopefully will return to us on the road to recovery.

Thanks for letting us know. I noticed he was pretty upset for awhile. Hopefully, he is starting to feel better. It's great that he got some sleep.

:grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]:

dear kia

thankyou so much for letting us know

i was pretty sure he was going in, when we last spoke

i am so so glad he is getting help

give him my love , please

walker

xx

Hi Kia

Thank you for letting us know about Benji. I was chatting to him last week and I thought he was quite bad. I am sure he is in the right place for now. Tell him I hope he gets to feel much better soon and looking forward to chatting with him again.

Take Care

Leslie x

Today hasn't been so good for him.

He's feeling pretty low and having moments where he isn't really "with it" so to speak.

He's admitted that he wanted to end it all to me as well - hard to hear? yes, but I'm actually not that suprised by it.

Intrusive thoughts are bothering him today, he's trying to block them with good thoughts and by going out into the little garden area, but finding it hard.

I think they are planning on trying different meds tomorrow after he's been seen by his pysch doc, as the ones he's having now (I still don't know what they are giving him yet, but will find out tomorrow as I'm going to be there when his pysch doc evaluates him) are making him a bit dizzy and losing balance.

I printed out this thread for him and it bought tears to his eyes. He tried to get online form the hospital (he was allowed off the ward with Swampy (my husband) and I), but the computer there isn't working. So, he asked that I send on a hello and hug to you all.

Hugs back and thank you so much for letting us know how he is doing. I hope the new meds help and he feels less dizzy. Lots of love Roses xxxxx

nice to meet you kia,

thanx for letting us know about benji.

i think he's great,

pass on some hugs from me please :bigarmhug:

:bigarmhug[1]: Hello Kia, I no you got the meeting today with your dad and the other people at the hopstial, just want to send my love to you and let ya know im thinking of you both, take care xxx p.s send benji me love n hugs :) thanks

:trigger: :trigger: :trigger: :trigger:

Jeepers, he seems to be worse each day.

Well, I met his psych doc and I do not like the man - but I don't have to deal with him on a regular basis so I'll keep schtum.

I am shocked by how intimidating the "ward round" is. There's 8 of them in this "team" and they all sit in a circle and look at YOU - wow, that's pretty darn scary. I can't imagine how it must be when you're really ill, having psychotic thoughts and feeling paranoid already.

They are increasing his meds tonight from 1mg to 2mg, then 3mg fri and up to 4mg on Monday. Apparently that's a slow increase?? As to have too much too soon can make you more depressed (oh yeah great idea) and will probably take 2-4 weeks before he sees an improvement in his thoughts and will probably give him tremors as a side effect. He is having loads of trouble realising which thoughts are real and which are intrusive. The tremors he's having now are frustrating him, which in turn makes him more agro.

The pysch doc was saying how it's unusual that these symptoms have started in later life, rather than in his 20's, but he doesn't want to hear that they did start in his 20's - he's just blotted them out with alcohol all this time. These aren't new thoughts, he's had them as long as I can remember, especially if someone annoys him, he just has managed to hold the bad thoughts back somewhat in the past and can't now. It's more severe, not new. But, they don't want to hear that.

After the meeting we went out to get pizza for dad, and some other bits and bobs. We were gone maybe 3 hours, and by the time we got back he'd taken a knife from the dining room, so now he has to be checked for sharps regularly.

I guess this is a case of you need to hit the bottom before you can start climbing back up?

oh

dear kia

i am so so very sorry things are so bad at the moment

others know far more about these things than i do - but i am sure there is a way through it all

thankyou for sharing all this with us - it is very hard on you all, i know, but we will support you in any way we can.

(bloody psychs - why are so many mh professionals such arses)

for what its worth - you and Benji are in my thoughts

God bless

xxxx

(((((((((((((((((((((Kia)))))))))))))) my heart goes out to you hun, musta been a really hard day, were all here to support you though this hun and benji.

Sending kind thoughts your way and safe hugs. Its gonna take time to see the tablets work and kick in, i really hope they start to work soon for benji and you self so u can have him home.

Thank you for the update but lookafter yourself to hun i no you have a hard time too with out all of this happening

EM XX

I haven't had a chance to get to know your father yet, Kia. But reading about how it is going for him made me feel so compassionate towards you both. It sounds so scary and I can feel for what it must be like for benji. It is horrible to think about how some mental health professionals treat their patents with mental health issues. They are supposed to be caring and helpful and sympathetic, yet so often just seem cruel. I am hoping and praying that everything works out for your father and make sure he always knows how much everyone on here cares about him... not to mention what an amazing family he has behind him. Wishing you both the best!

xxx

Kia, I'm sorry that you have to watch this happening to someone you love and it is difficult to know how much to involve yourself with the ward round but you really must speak up and if you think this doctor is a waste of time then get rid of him. The best thing I ever did was change doctor to someone who really listened and I have continued to stay out of hospital since my last discharge in Jan 08 with her support.

I used to dread ward rounds and when I was really ill I actually lost a few months here and there and have no recollection of events at all. Yeah, it's one thing saying you need help, it's another facing your inner demons they can't expect him to do that feeling as he does. I hope that the meds help and that the intrusive thoughts start to ease a little over the next few days. I understand and am sending all my love to you both I'm sorry if I have said too much. xxx

You can never say too much.

I really appreciate the support here at this time, especially as everyone has their own stuff to cope with too - you are seriously amazing people.

And for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Archived