Mental Health Forums

About Benji

Kia

That pdoc sounds like more of a hindrance than a help. :( I hope Benji can get the help he needs. I am concerned about how quickly they are upping his meds. Isn't there usually more time in between to adjust? Also, I am concerend about the tremors. Are they caused by his meds? Are they the kind that can cause tardive diskinesia (sp?) if one isn't careful? Is there something that can prevent that?

Sorry I'm probably adding to worries. :grouphug[1]: to both of you. I really hope Benji feels better soon.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some drugs do go up that quickly. When I started on the quetiapine recently it was 50mg day one, 100mg day two and 200mg day three.... it sounds alarming but it is OK.

sorry I am new to the forum and don't know your father, but it sounds such an awful time for you both, I couldn't just read and run

Hugs to you both

and please do let everyone here support you through this hun

here to listen

Sorry, about not updating for a while.

I kinda went through a few issues and stepped away from the PC for a while, needed to put my own head back in some sort of order.

Had another ward round today...

Things aren't really getting any better.

So, from today they are cutting down and then cutting out his diazepam - the side effects from that are belittling to him to say the least. The diazepam were intended to stop him from having aggressive outbursts at night, and while it's helped a very little it hasn't helped enough to warrant continuing.

He's on risperidone for the paranoia but the anger and stuff is still bubbling away under the surface.

Little things can trigger him. He's having trouble getting his words out (gawd knows I fluff my words up enough times every day) and that really triggers him.

He's broken at least 2 items of furniture since he's been in. When I asked him why he replied "because it was there and I just feel the need to break something".

He can't concentrate for any length of time so his beloved crosswords are out.

It's been suggested that his "absences" (which are continuing to get worse), his trouble getting words out, lack of concentration, amongst other things is being caused by permanent brain damage caused by his long term drinking. It must be so hard for him because this all started to come out literally when he started to stop drinking. I know what he's thinking, I don't blame him because I'd be thinking the same thing.

Oh dear. :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: I noticed my concentration went out the window when I was on risperdal. Maybe it's the meds? Or has this happened before then?

Hi Kia, i'm sorry to hear about your dad, thank you for coming on here and letting us all know how he is doing.

Send him my regards and a ((((hug))))

Hope he starts feeling better soon

Aurora :)

A new person came into the hospital earlier this week and dad has made friends, actually he's made a few friends which I pleased about because he finds that very hard to do, but this person seems to be a positive influence for him.

He had a very bad night last night (intrusive thoughts, paranoia, anxiety), but this friend helped him work it through and he eventually got to sleep.

Today he was much much chirpier than I've seen him for some time.

I discovered that he had been sleeping in his clothes (this makes me sad), so we went and got him some soft cotton lounge pants and t-shirts. Also got him a couple new pairs of jeans - perfect fit!

He's using my suggestion for when he gets stuck with a word. Instead of trying the same word again and again and getting frustrated I suggested he look for a different word, or just say something different to get past the "block". He seems to be doing OK with that, several times today he got stuck on a word and took a deep breath, used a different word and was able to go on with out getting upset =)

Oh and he shaved his head (or rather had it shaved) :blink: OK it doesn't look as bad as it could but umm yeah bit of a shock!

He sends his love and good thoughts to everyone.

Kia,

Sorry your dad is unwell but I hope he starts to feel better soon. I am glad he has made a couple of friends, especially if they are having a positive effect. You are doing an amazing job, it cannot be easy for you seeing your dad unwell but you know we are here for you both.

Love and good thoughts from me too xx

It's good to hear that he's doing better! Congrats to him and good luck! Hope it continues.

:grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]: :grouphug[1]:

i dont think ive had much chance to get to know your dad but im glad he is being looked after and it sounds like things are getting a bit better. im really pleased for him and you and i hope that things carry on this way :)

xxx

Love and good thoughts back to him! I'm so glad to hear that things are starting to improve and that he's making friends!

xxx

Hi Kia,

new here so don't know Benji yet, but sounds like you're both having a real rough time of it at the moment. Glad that he's made a friend who's having a good influence on him and is helping and that was really smart of you tpo come up with the solution of looking for a different word when he gets a block on a particular word.

I agree with the others here that risperdal can cause lack of concentration as with some other meds. Sometimes the sedating part of the medicines can do this too. Also like s/one else said the trembling maybe Tardi Kinises (prob haven't spelt right) so needs to be checked really. His P-Doc sounds a right pain in the ass, and may be good to see if you can get a different one for him. It helps s much when you have a P-doc that you can get on with and who is on your side as it's usually a negotiation with meds with them where you can take side effects into account.

Hugs to you both.

Hope he continues to improve getting the sleep he needs.

xx :bigarmhug[1]::bigarmhug[1]:

By heck, i just spent an hour reading this thread, i can not believe how nice and kind you guys are, all i can say is i love you all just soooooooooo much.

I really missed you Benji xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You will never know how much i missed you guys whilst in hosp, (crap hole) place, nice people but clueless, i am sure a Roses would have been better medicine any day :lol:

By heck, i just spent an hour reading this thread, i can not believe how nice and kind you guys are, all i can say is i love you all just soooooooooo much.

BACK WERE U BELONG HUNNIE ABOUT TIME WE ALL MISSED U LOTSXXXXXXXX

Archived