Mental Health Forums

Do Older People Know More Than Younger People?

Sammy

((((Cat)))) Thankyou, I kinda feel right now you're one of the few people understanding what I am saying and I appreciate that.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ocean Wolf

• AndyL

• Roses

• Sammy

Top Posters In This Topic

That was just one example roses, and yes I expect a reaction, but that doesn't make it right that people comment or judge poorly before finding out why I do it or anything else that I choose to do with my life. I could make a long list of choices I make in my life that I get judged for, but that's besides the point. The fact still remains that it's my life to do as I like as long as it isn't intrusive of others.

It's like you're condoning people making snide remarks about me just because I choose not to wear shoes.

My dad said that if I don't want to be judged then wear shoes, but why should I be in pain and uncomfortable and unnatural in order for others not to judge. Not only this, if I wear shoes, they will find something else to judge me for. Do I keep changing everything about my life to conform so that noone judges me anymore? Because then who will I be? I'll no longer be myself, I'll be someone else wearing the mask to please others.

Is it wrong for me to be myself? Or is it wrong for people to make misinformed judgments about people and snide comments about people they know nothing about?

I guess my point is that people of ALL ages can know more than other people of ALL ages.

Someone younger might be more aware than someone who is much older.

Age indicates absolutely nothing! So just because I'm not as old as you don't ASSUME you know more than me. Maybe you do know more than me, just don't assume so because you might just be wrong.

agreed totally. at a young age and having gone thorough and still going through at that time what many of them couldnt even imagine people would still tell me that i was not depressed, didnt even know what depression or pain was and had nothing to look miserable about at that age. apparently everything was meant to be all happy and good etc. not one tried to find out why, they all ASSUMED.

i would not assume to think i knew what an older person (or younger) had gone through, therefore i would not expect them to make assumptions of me either. life and experiences are different for everyone.

hoping i havent gone out of order with that, were other examples but guess that just stood out for me and not sure ive explained right :blink: damn brain

xxx

edit: just randomly, my bf goes out barefoot sometimes too, just cos he feels like it :) doesnt hurt anyone (just him when i stand on his feet) do whats comfortable

Sammy, rather than look at others who make judgements, whether right or wrong ones. Would it be helpful to look at yourself as to why it has such a strong affect on you? Why can you laugh off younger peoples misinformed judgements (as you mentioned in an earlier post), yet not older peoples? Why is your behaviour different?

People will always make judgements, its natural behaviour. I seem to remember its part of the flight or fight instinct, friend/foe kind of thing. You cant change others behaviour, but you can look at your reaction to it.

When I logged in I saw there were so many replies to this topic I felt I would be old by the time I had finished reading them! But not necessarily any wiser ;)

I think Bibiddi summed up what I'm trying to say. I would never condone snide remarks. I actually never told you anything about my way of life or things I have done. Just like I never said you were wrong.

I just think that, as I said earlier, age does not maketh the man but equally more mature people shouldn't be stereotyped in the way, I feel, they are being on this thread. Please refer to my earlier posts for clarification of this.

Wolf your first statement that you would rather die than stop learning was indicating there was purpose to life. I was not putting words in your mouth at all. You may have clarified your viewpoint in your next response, but I was talking about your first statement not your second when I was talking to andy - as to the reasoning behind my question.

That's the thing. I never said I would rather die. I said

Although if I ever stop learning, I think I might as well be dead.

So you put words in my mouth and a sentence later, said you weren't at all. You also made the assumption (in a thread claiming you hate when people make assumptions about you) that that meant learning was a purpose in life.

I can understand misinterpreting that at first, hence why you asked right? But I have already answered and explained. The explanation is

But the reason I say I might as well be dead is because... Well, for one, I can't imagine not learning. Also, life is always changing right? So there's always new things to learn. Will it still be living if things stop changing?

Now that you have let me know you need clarification, I'm explain it another way. When I stop learning, I will either be dead or brain dead. Dead I already am dead. Brain dead I consider the same as dead. Not because my life will be worthless if I'm brain dead, just that brain dead means the body is being kept alive (for some reason), but there is nothing there. Also, if life itself ever stops changing, I think life would literally stop. Not because I think it should because of some purpose, but because I can't imagine life not doing what is it's nature. Would it still be life then?

If you didn't understand that, it would have been better to ask me to clarify before telling Andy that I had indicated having a purpose in life at all. I hadn't indicated it. In fact, I keep telling you I don't understand the idea of having a purpose and that the whole practice strikes me as life isn't fascinating enough for those people.

We have talked about this before in chat. I remember you kept trying to find me a purpose then too. Then, it was very annoying, but it was just annoying. Now, you're telling another person that I indicate having a purpose when it's your own assumption. I would like you to stop it now.

No....I said from your FIRST statement it indicated there should be a purpose, I didn't want to make an assumption as to what you meant, so therefore I ASKED. You then clarified your meaning, which I understood and it corrected the implication that I had seen in your first statement.

The next person assumed that I had asked the question because I didn't feel learning was a purpose for life, which I had no said, so....I clarified to them that your FIRST statement had indicated such which was why I ASKED, I made no comment that your opinion IS or WAS that there IS a purpose, only that your FIRST statement indicated such and that for that reason I asked for clarification.

I totally understand your clarification and that you still feel there is no need for a purpose in life.

You know I love you to bits, you're just taking what I said in the wrong context.

When have I ever tried to convince you that life should have a purpose for you? I have only ever talked about my life having a purpose for me ie: my children, and suggested that perhaps one day in the future your opinion MIGHT change, but never tried to convince you of such, simply answered questions you asked me.

Also, I'm all for supporting veterans. My step-grandpa is one. But most people older than me that I know are not veterans.

I don't mind supporting feminists who aren't sexist. Or maybe the right term is humanist. I'm sorry if that sounds bad to the good ones, but I've heard and seen a bit too much loud mouth propaganda and I really don't like a lot of it. I am against burning bras since, if they don't need to use them, send them to me. I find it way to uncomfortable not to wear a bra especially now that my girls are getting bigger. I am against sexism towards men as much as I don't like sexism towards women. I don't like how women who want to be mothers and stay at home are seen as weak and/or giving women a bad name. I don't like how being "girly" is now cause for disdain among a lot of girls I meet. What's wrong with being a girl? It's like females are now being hard on other females for acting in ways other than the traditional male roles. And, no, it's not all. But before I listen to a feminist, I want to make sure she's not a "men are pigs" kind.

And I would like to emphasize that I know not all are like that! Maybe even not most. And I do agree with the idea that men and women should have equal rights and whatever roles they want (if they biologically can. A male can't reproduce, but he can be a stay at home dad.)

Oh sorry. I went a bit too far off topic.

Bidibidi I know why it gets to me so much, because I was raised to believe we should respect our elders and act in a way to please them, so now that I am at a point that I see that not all elders are right in their thinking, and that in fact to live my life happily and content I may have to displease some elders, it gets to me.

I've never felt a need to please my youngers.

And so yes when elders make their opinions known to me when they are negative, it makes it harder for me to feel comfortable doing the things I want to do and living my life the way I want.

Ah alright. I must have missed the part where you said my statement indicated it. I thought you said I indicated it.

I can't remember the exact times we were discussing it. You weren't trying to convince me that life should have a purpose, but you did keep making comments along the lines of "oh so that's your purpose." I can't remember exact quotes anymore though (baby brain). Maybe it was different time we were discussing it then the one you're thinking of? Anyway, it doesn't really matter. I'll let you know if you do it again.

Ocean your post before last is a great example of what I am saying. You have so many wonderful beliefs but everyone's beliefs are so different that we just should not judge people. This is what I think we are all trying to say in our own way whether we are talking about being judged by others or being judged ourselves it is the same thing cos you can't have one without the other!

I think its about experience, and not age.

You can get young people who are wise due to their life experiences, just as you can get older people who are naiive and who have lived a sheltered life.

You get some cocky young people who think they know it all, but they learn as they get older, and wiser.

You also get some older people who know fuck all, but who patronize the young, because they feel small and want to bolster their image.

just my opinion though.

I class myself as middle aged and learning.

i agree, but also i think its if people are willing to be open to learn from their experiences (and others). sometimes people who are older are less likely to be open to learning something new even if its right infront of their noses, where as younger people are less likely to be closed off like this. this is a gerneral statement of my opinion before anyone jumps down my throat.

i think the wisest people are little children because they are far more intouch with their emotions than most adults are, assuming they are not children who are being hurt. babies are capable of communicating when they are in pain, when they feel good, when they trust you, very capabley providing someone is willing to listen. unlike so many adults to whom emotions are things to run from, deny or fear. i think being connected to emotions and being able to help others do the same is real wisdom. and thats something that can be availible to a person from day one and for all of their life providing they are treated with compassion and respect as children.

Some 14 year olds are probably quite capable of driving. The fact that it is not legal in most countries is a different issue.

Nonsense. Statistics consistently demonstrate that younger, less experienced drivers are far more likely to get in an accident than older, more experienced drivers. The fact that it is not legal for a 14-year old to drive in most countries is a matter of public policy for the greater good, ergo, it saves lives because inexperienced (or, if you will, less knowledgeable) drivers are generally a potential hazard on the road. That's why insurance rates are much higher for younger people. The insurance companies know this and adjust their rates accordingly. Frankly, I would never trust a 14-year old behind the wheel. Saying that some 14-year olds might be good drivers is a logical fallacy known as misleading vividness. It is not a valid argument.

Knowledge derives from experience. We learn by doing, a fundamental fact of human existence.

Nonsense. Statistics consistently demonstrate that younger, less experienced drivers are far more likely to get in an accident than older, more experienced drivers. The fact that it is not legal for a 14-year old to drive in most countries is a matter of public policy for the greater good, ergo, it saves lives because inexperienced (or, if you will, less knowledgeable) drivers are generally a potential hazard on the road. That's why insurance rates are much higher for younger people. The insurance companies know this and adjust their rates accordingly. Frankly, I would never trust a 14-year old behind the wheel. Saying that some 14-year olds might be good drivers is a logical fallacy known as misleading vividness. It is not a valid argument.

Yes people become better drivers as they get older, I accept that. What I am saying is that you can't pick an individual person and know that they are a bad driver, just because of their age (even if it is 14).

Driving tests are not 100% reliable and as the proportion of 14 year olds that are competent drivers is probably very small, they are excluded from driving by law. This is a pragmatic decision taken by lawmakers. But it does not invalidate my original point.

The insurance thing is correct, because insurance companies have to make generalisations based on things like age in order to be able to exist. There is no sure-fire way of assessing risk and as age shows a statistical correlation the premiums are partly based on it.

If divine wisdom was available we could infallibly predict driving ability and accident risk and would not need age limits. However we don't so this blunt tool is what we have.

Individuals can also be atypically wise or naive for their age.

Knowledge derives from experience. We learn by doing, a fundamental fact of human existence.

Yes, but some people learn quicker or experience more than others.

Sammy, I just re-read your initial post. I didnt realise you are 31.

In a lot of peoples eyes you can be viewed as one of those 'old people' who believe they know best.

The difference is bidibidi I don't make judgements on people before learning their motivations. I ask questions to find out why they do things a certain way before making any kind of judgement and even then it is on the action not on the person.

Although I don't see myself as 'old' quite yet.

I will admit right away that I have much less experience driving than a fourteen year old farm kid who has been driving around the farm for years (we get that a lot here)! Most fourteen year olds don't have much experience considering the amount of time available to practice, but I have no experience at all even though I'm older.

I also do not believe I know best, only what is best for me. I think what is best for one person is not best for another and I would never assume that just because the way I live my life works for me, that it would work for someone else too.

Well, that, of course, was the point of the whole cultural revolution set forth by the baby boomers in the late 60s. Now the older ones are pushing 70 and as dead set against their kids doing drugs as their parents were to them. Funny what age and experience does to a person. Turns you into what a kid would describe as a hypocrite. But it's just not that simple. Life seldom exists in black and white.

Archived