Mental Health Forums

Wants To Try Me On Mirtazapine

marc-74

PDOC, wants to try me on mirtazapine, and get me off citalopram, If anyone can help me out here please let me know, a bit about it, I know everyone gets differant side effect, ...just not sure what to do right now.

cheers marcx

Hi,

If you go on it make sure you do a lot of exercise as it increases your appetite (they give it to anorexics for this reason).

I tried it for about a year and it helped a lot (although I was prescribed it for anxious depression NOT BPD) although I came off it as all the depressive symptoms had ceased, leaving me with all my BPD symptoms. This might mean that it will only help with specific BPD symptoms - i'm no professional etc. I came off it the wrong way too- without slowly decreasing the dose which will worsen the symptoms again.

My side effects were definitely worth the benefits- REALLY vivid dreams (not usually nightmares though), black tar on the roof of my mouth in the morning, occasional pins and needles and difficulty getting up in the morning (which I had anyway).

The side effects are stronger at first and they really knock you out when you start them- low doses are sedating, which help you sleep, but higher doses are not. There is some derealization too so avoid driving until this subsides.

If better concentration is what you are after, they seem to work as I took one yesterday- I don't think I could have concentrated enough to write this yesterday (been asleep for 24 hours tho)

Good luck

xx

Hi,

If you go on it make sure you do a lot of exercise as it increases your appetite (they give it to anorexics for this reason).

I tried it for about a year and it helped a lot (although I was prescribed it for anxious depression NOT BPD) although I came off it as all the depressive symptoms had ceased, leaving me with all my BPD symptoms. This might mean that it will only help with specific BPD symptoms - i'm no professional etc. I came off it the wrong way too- without slowly decreasing the dose which will worsen the symptoms again.

My side effects were definitely worth the benefits- REALLY vivid dreams (not usually nightmares though), black tar on the roof of my mouth in the morning, occasional pins and needles and difficulty getting up in the morning (which I had anyway).

The side effects are stronger at first and they really knock you out when you start them- low doses are sedating, which help you sleep, but higher doses are not. There is some derealization too so avoid driving until this subsides.

If better concentration is what you are after, they seem to work as I took one yesterday- I don't think I could have concentrated enough to write this yesterday (been asleep for 24 hours tho)

Good luck

xx

thank you so much for your input, a bit more concentration is just what I need,... gotta start painting again.

thanks AGAIN

MARC XX

Hi marc, all i know about it is that it does make you put a little weight on but having said that it is supposed to be effective, its worth a try dont u think? maybe this will be the one.

take care

mirtazapine has been the only med that ever worked for me. However, the I don't like the whole binge eating thing. I can set the clock. 20 min after I took the pill I am eating...no matter what. I really don't like that. It's like you're being force fed and I think it might even cause an ED, so be careful. But apart from that, it does help a lot. I used to take it continuosly but now I've stopped. I only take them occasionally when I can't fall asleep.

My experience is though, that low doses made me really agitated and didn't help with sleeping at all. 30mg is the perfect dose for me....

After you take the pill you got about an hour until you seriously need to go to bed.

Yeah, it certainly won't help any existing eating disorder. I take a 30mg now and then and wait for the knockout too. I seem to get more derealization now I only take it sporadically.

In my case, the benefits easily outweighed the side-effects- I binge eat terribly but I also do 3 hours of exercise a day.

A lot of the time, the side-effects are more immediate than the benefits so you can think it's not worth it but, as an example, when I look back I can see that work is much more manageable when i'm on Mirtazapine.

x

Yeah, it certainly won't help any existing eating disorder. I take a 30mg now and then and wait for the knockout too. I seem to get more derealization now I only take it sporadically.

In my case, the benefits easily outweighed the side-effects- I binge eat terribly but I also do 3 hours of exercise a day.

A lot of the time, the side-effects are more immediate than the benefits so you can think it's not worth it but, as an example, when I look back I can see that work is much more manageable when i'm on Mirtazapine.

x

sounds like it may be worth a try...cause when i do get out I can walk 7-10 miles no worries.

been having mad eating issue latley.. mabe this may help...

thanx

marc xxx

My experience with Mirtazapine 45mg is that it help's me sleep and is good for anxiety, and is a pretty good anti depressant, i take it with Citalapram, but yeah, i have to go to bed after taking it at night or i will binge eat real bad.

If I were to go back on drugs for depression of the doc, it would be mirtazapine, as I haven't tried it.

There are reports that it dosen't blunt emotions like the others did. That really fucked with my head, and I didnt notice it until ages after I had come off.

I just worry about withdrawal symptoms though, and the fact that some AD's can make you worse, while they are kicking in.

I am pretty ignorant of AD's though in the main, even though I have had a few different ones.

I also have to watch for drug dependency issues, because, although I have negotiated cannabis, speed, and valium useage problems, and I dont feel attached like I did, I still think I have the issues of dependency.

Let us know how it goes though, as like I said, if my depressions edge dosen't calm down, this drug is what I will be wanting to score off the doc. :)

ps Sorry to hijack, just one more question,

Can you take mirtazapine, as and when or does it have to be daily. The daily ones were the ones that messed me up.

Yeah, should really be daily to build it up in your system (apparently). I've just stockpiled a load so I take 'em whenever- think you get a bigger hit but you miss the stability and consistency of mood, for example.

I don't know of anyone who has had them prescribed on an "as and when" basis- valium-like. I'm definitely using them "off-label".

And just before bed is definitely to be advised- unless you start work at 7am like me :-(

I've run out of mine...which is why I am not on it at the moment. That said, it is very easy to stop taking it. I actually like to use occasionally because if you don't take it on a to day basis it really knocks you out every time; which is exactly what I want because my insomnia is beyond pathological.

I remember my pdoc telling me that it is ok to not take it constantly.....You don't get very bad withdrawel symptons. The thing is though, without mirtazapine it's almost impossible for me to fall asleep....I need 3 days to pass until I can sleep without any help again. I think that's what you call a psychological dependency?!!!

I've run out of mine...which is why I am not on it at the moment. That said, it is very easy to stop taking it. I actually like to use occasionally because if you don't take it on a to day basis it really knocks you out every time; which is exactly what I want because my insomnia is beyond pathological.

I remember my pdoc telling me that it is ok to not take it constantly.....You don't get very bad withdrawel symptons. The thing is though, without mirtazapine it's almost impossible for me to fall asleep....I need 3 days to pass until I can sleep without any help again. I think that's what you call a psychological dependency?!!!

seems like this could be tha thing to sort out my fuct up sleep paterns,,...

seems like this could be tha thing to sort out my fuct up sleep paterns,,...

Archived