Mental Health Forums

Haloperidol

sarahjane

has any one been on this??

was put on it yesterday instead of chlorpromazine!!

hi sarahjane,

it was the first anti-p i was given on my first night in hospital maybe 9 years ago. i was manic and told the dr/nurses i hadnt slept in 4 nights (true)

so they gave me 5mg of haldol/serenace/halopirodol.

the next day i work up with limbs that jerked, a feeling of a swollen toungue and airways, extreme jumpiness and fear as i had no idea what it was. well it was AKATASIA.- the most horrible feeling i have ever stood still for.

i got out of the psych unit swearing was well , od was a mistake- etc.

it is a pretty old anti psychotic, as is chloropromazine.

doses like 0.25 mg may be fine , or up to 2mg, but after that i find i get the nasty side effects.

just to let you know in case it happens to you.

there is an antidote available in all hospitals. benadryl is also a good antidote to the spasms. i thought i woukld break my jaw and teeth, i had no control over it.

hey, it suits some people. you asked for experiences, i told you mine.

have you ever tried one of the newer anti-psychotics ? just curious. like seroquel , zyprexa, geodon, abilify?

good luck with it,

anne marie

When I'm inpatient I'm prescribed this prn (as required), 2mg... for psychotic symptoms. works for me and I dont' get any side effects.

Bf took it, ended up in Er with the jerks, drawed up like he had a stroke. It wore off eventually... Of course it's diff for everyone.

i ttok it it was aweful it made me act like i was high on herion but that was just me tv er erveron

has any one been on this??

was put on it yesterday instead of chlorpromazine!!

hi sarahjane,

it was the first anti-p i was given on my first night in hospital maybe 9 years ago. i was manic and told the dr/nurses i hadnt slept in 4 nights (true)

so they gave me 5mg of haldol/serenace/halopirodol.

the next day i work up with limbs that jerked, a feeling of a swollen toungue and airways, extreme jumpiness and fear as i had no idea what it was. well it was AKATASIA.- the most horrible feeling i have ever stood still for.

i got out of the psych unit swearing was well , od was a mistake- etc.

it is a pretty old anti psychotic, as is chloropromazine.

doses like 0.25 mg may be fine , or up to 2mg, but after that i find i get the nasty side effects.

just to let you know in case it happens to you.

there is an antidote available in all hospitals. benadryl is also a good antidote to the spasms. i thought i woukld break my jaw and teeth, i had no control over it.

hey, it suits some people. you asked for experiences, i told you mine.

have you ever tried one of the newer anti-psychotics ? just curious. like seroquel , zyprexa, geodon, abilify?

good luck with it,

anne marie

tried olanzappine but gained that much weight and eventually was on so much of a higher dose they stopped it!!

hve only had that and chlorpromazine

thanks for the replies tough

AARRRGGGHHH, me too had it whilst i was inpatient 5mg i think..... absolutley vile, didnt seem 2 work straight away 4me; the next day things looked surreal, in my head i felt like i wanted to walk about but it was really hard, i felt like a zombie, i would go out to the garden for a fag ending up so lifeless i would just physically pass out but be mentally alert..... really strange stuff,

XxX

• 1 month later...

the only experience i have of this was whilst in psyche unit, a patient was manic and violent so they gave her this to calm her down which it did....xx

the only experience i have of this was whilst in psyche unit, a patient was manic and violent so they gave her this to calm her down which it did....xx

Archived