Mental Health Forums

Anorexia And Social Phobia/isolation

SickAna

When I first begun to get sick with anorexia, ages 15-17, I had very severe social phobia. In clinics/hosp etc I noticed a lot of the other girls (sorry, i dont mean to be sexist - but they where all girls!) struggled with this or at least with social isolation. I actually began to recover from this aspect at around age 20-21, before I recovered my weight and have been pretty intoverted but much better around people since. It is hard to know wat the connection is - but it is clear there is one as it affects so many people with Anorexia. Is it a given though, that if I, say got sick re:starvation again, that the fears around people, the loneliness etc would become a problem again? I wonder if there has been much research around the connection between these two conditions? wat about people's personal experiences?

as i was sick i lovingly called anorxia ana as in a her likeshe was my onlu=y friend cause she was the only one who understood i isolated i likened it to a personal hell i had to put myself thru alone with no witnesses no one to be there so as to possibly be there to reach out to cause i would betray ana i dont know if all yall follow this i was very sick at the time but ana was my true friend and i would allow nooonelse in my life

Yeah I understand you. Feel the same. I think there should be study done on that. Anorexia is like a silent killer. Silent cos we keep it all in and don't speak up. But how do you tell your hubbie all you have eaten all day is a slice of toast? Or perhaps half a melon? xxx

as i was sick i lovingly called anorxia ana as in a her likeshe was my onlu=y friend cause she was the only one who understood i isolated i likened it to a personal hell i had to put myself thru alone with no witnesses no one to be there so as to possibly be there to reach out to cause i would betray ana i dont know if all yall follow this i was very sick at the time but ana was my true friend and i would allow nooonelse in my life

It's a bit of a freaky coincidence that, my name is Ana, even spelt that way... So i try not to think about that cos your identity gets caught up enough with an E.D without wanting a name-change to be a pre-requisite to recovery! ... but i do get that 'only friend' part. It really is something that can comfort and protect you like nothing else.... have since fell in a love with an actual real person and that still doesn't come close to that feeling (but in so many ways its better...for one, it's actually real!)... i dont think anything can replace that.

Its so hard not to romantisise all that... the truth is tho, 'recovery' (when you still have an underlying mental illness at least) isn't all that great- its really just a matter of trying to decide wich type of suffering is the least unbearable!

• 3 weeks later...

oooh i relate too much ana & jades & roses

cant step on a scale/wii fit or it will ruin my day if i have gone up in weight.

at the shop-i am meaning to get something, then think 'nah, i am stronger...' this been going on for a while now.

i wont write anything else- it might be triggering.

i read someones post here after eating something yesterday and could not sit with food in self. -so i wont get into the numbers game.

god i fucking hate the numbers game... distortion, calculation, exhaustion

• 4 weeks later...

oooh i relate too much ana & jades & roses

cant step on a scale/wii fit or it will ruin my day if i have gone up in weight.

at the shop-i am meaning to get something, then think 'nah, i am stronger...' this been going on for a while now.

i wont write anything else- it might be triggering.

i read someones post here after eating something yesterday and could not sit with food in self. -so i wont get into the numbers game.

god i fucking hate the numbers game... distortion, calculation, exhaustion

re: 'numbers game'- so true, so true. What a cruel trick we play on ourselves... I'd add deception too, for, once you are in deep, the one thing that can make you feel better, the thing that lures you deeper and deeper, is actually a step closer to a living hell.

Archived