Mental Health Forums

Depakote

Ambrosia

Has anyone been on this medication?I was prescribed them this morning by my pdoc also i'm on citalopram.

I am on 250 mg in morning and 500mg at night.

Any info would be appreciated.

XxX

hi lavandar and welcome,

yip, i was on depakote maybe 3 years ago. thing is, i was on it with zyprexa (olanzapine) at the same time. one of them, or maybe the combo, made me eat like a bottomless pit and i got big, wss never big b4.

i know zyprexa is famed for weight gain, so maybe it was that alone. i have heard of other ppl gaining on it tho.

if you want the real skinny on any med check out www.askapatient.com

it has 1000s of voluntary contributions made by the ppl the drugs are prescribed for, side effects, why it prescribed, etc.

I think it made me a bit confused too. but it must work for some people, else it would not be a popular mood stabiliser...

good luck with it, and nice to meet you

anne marie

Hi Lavender

Yes I am on Depakote along with venlofaxine. I am on 1500 mg a day and it does work for me.....syptoms aint nowhere near as bad as they were. But unfortunately thy do put weight on u so its 1 or the other sorry.

Leslie x

Ive been on Depakote, and as a mood stabeliser it worked really well, trouble was it kept my mood real low, so only took it for 4 months.

• 3 weeks later...

I take Depakote but for me I dont think it has really helped but I dont know what I would be like without it right now so I am not quite sure. I am switching med providers so I can get their opinion on my meds. I have gained quite a bit of weight while being on it though and it really sucks! Like I dont have enough problems with my weight and self-image...I really dont need to gain anymore!!! If you take it I hope that it works for you and that you dont gain as much as I did and still am!

The only info i have on this drug is that my hubby took it briefly, and it stablized his mood into ASSSSSSSSSS! Instead of having highs and lows, he was just in a mean bad mood all the time. Like i said, i have no scientific info on it, just my hubby and my observations. maybe it just wasnt right for him, i dunno.

hey

i have been on depakote now for about a year and it has worked wonders as a mood stabiliser! i am taking it along with seroquel and seroxat and i seemed to have put on weight in the early stages but now it has stopped, good thing is though i wanted to put on weight as i was skinny and only 8 stone soaking wet lol!

i would advise to give them a proper try cos for me i dont know where i would be without them

Archived