Mental Health Forums

Amennorhea

Apple Star

Hi!! At the moment I'm going through recovery from various eating disorders, mainly bulimia and purging, and have just started to put a little weight back on!

However, I have amennorhea (Absence of periods), which I have had before for about a year, and since then my periods have been irregular or entirely absent for long periods of times.

At the moment it's been five months, and I think that it's just a case of putting weight back on till a reach a healthy amount for myself, and then my periods will naturally start again!

Nevertheless, I'm still a little anxious about it, and I can't find much reassurance on the internet. I'm worried that they may not return, or at least not soon, and I'm not sure how dangerous that is for my health and body.

I know I'm scared about becoming infertile or getting osteoporosis, and I know my boyfriend doesn't really understand it, but is even more worried than me!!

I guess I'm asking if anyone can reassure me, or has any advice, as to how this might affect me, or if my periods will come back and I will be fertile again?

Thank you very much for reading this, and if you have any advice I will be very grateful! Thanks again :) xx

Hiya, I have never had regular ones but longest I went without one was a year, it'll be OK. xxx

Thanks, that's really reassuring to hear that other people have been through what I'm going through. Thanks! :) xx

I didn't have a period for about 18 months but have a little boy now, so it obviously all works!!!

It is possible to have a simple blood test to check hormone levels if you are worried - ask your doctor.

As soon as I started my period it stopped for 6 months. My period has been on and off throughout my life. I'm 33 now. However, i have 2 beautiful children, so i'm sure everyrhing will be fine

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The most common cause of irregular periods is PCOS (poly-cystic ovary syndroms) which can be dx with a blood test to look at FSH levels (follicle stimulating hormone) compared to other hormone levels. Then a simple scan of ovaries can show up any cysts.

Archived