Mental Health Forums

Help, I Feel Such A Failure.

misunderstood64

I don't know where to begin, as I could be typing all night, but ile try and give you all a brief story of whats happened to me.

I experienced severe ocd for twenty years of my life even trying to comit suicide. Eventually I with lots of help, got much better. I still have ocd type symptons from time to time and suffer anxiety. I also have bullemia too.

Recently over the last two years I have had a lot of physical health problems, including having to wait from biopsies etc ten weeks to find out if i had breast cancer. luckily it was benign. I have had other operations in the last two years and are down to have a hysterectomy. My old gp has no compassion re mental illness etc and missed my breast lump thinking it was all in my head. Due to this I left the practise and found a group practise, I thought I had struck gold, boy was I wrong!!

I have had one thing go wrong after another this year and have had to go to the gp lots of times, one of the things is a severe dry mouth, where i make no saliva, terrible dry lips and pain when swallowing. Its really nasty, and I have ended up with tons of ulcers in mouth which proves I must be so run down. My local pharmacist who is great told me I had to keep going back to my gp until they solved this problem, so over the last three weeks i guess i have been about six times, and they all say its something different, frustrated is putting it mildly. I also broke down two weeks ago in there and said I was feeling so anxious etc again after everything and the gp put me back on the happy pills. Today out of the blue I got a call from the practise manage, saying I have been down too many time for the same thing, and that they are putting a block on my appointments. I am allowed one appointment a month no matter what!!! I can ring on the day and speak to someone if im really ill, and they will decide whether i can be seen, but once ive had my one appointment, if something like my anxiety etc rears its ugly head I have to wait a whole month until I can go again, can this be right?? To say I am distraught is putting it mildly I feel a total waste of space and that they must think im a nuisance.

Thanks for reading this.

M x

That sounds awful - did they put this in writing? If not I'd ask them to and then I'd go to the Citizens Advice who can help you take it further.

Have you considered changing Drs? Are there other sugeries in your area you could go to?

When I was having no luck with my GP - when I was at my wits end I took it to the Community Mental Health team directly...

Sorry you're having these issues - I don't think a lot of surgeries understand the full extent of anxiety etc and can see it as "wasting time" and taking them away from the "properly sick" people - not good but mental health problems like anxiety are not always taken seriously.

That sounds awful - did they put this in writing? If not I'd ask them to and then I'd go to the Citizens Advice who can help you take it further.

Have you considered changing Drs? Are there other sugeries in your area you could go to?

When I was having no luck with my GP - when I was at my wits end I took it to the Community Mental Health team directly...

Sorry you're having these issues - I don't think a lot of surgeries understand the full extent of anxiety etc and can see it as "wasting time" and taking them away from the "properly sick" people - not good but mental health problems like anxiety are not always taken seriously.

Hi thank you for your reply.

No, I tried to log on to the booking system to check the time of an appointment and saw they had disabled it. I rang them up a few times and got a snotty receptionist. Eventually a few hours later I got hold of the practise manager who told me I had been down too many times recently for the same problem! Surely if they had solved it properly the first time, i would not have had to keep going down. I am still suffering with the symptons and my lips and mouth are burning its horrible.

I believe there is a ombudsman you can complaint, a friend has just informed me. I mean I cant see how they can decide when i can and cant get treatment, it just seems so wrong.

I'm flabbergasted...I have no idea what to say...is that legal? Can they do that?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Write a letter and ask that you get a response within 7 working days... They can't withold treatment from you and they must put it in writing.... It might scare them enough to give back the ability to make appointments and if not at least you will have something to take forward for complaints....

Good luck - I think it's appalling!

well, i did wonder, thats why I came on here to ask others views. my friend who I spoke to about this about half an hour ago, said no way can they do this. He said that nobody has the right on the nhs to ration treatment. the women had the cheek to tell me how many appointments I had had since sept, and that they were the nhs and didnt have the money to see people like me that often, and that i was taking appointments from others. She said you have been to the nurse too, why was that. I said because i had some stiches in my back that burst and i had to have them dressed every other day!! its just so unfair and has really really upset me. I feel like i am total waste of space.

I feel like i am total waste of space.

That you are not - for her to make you feel that way is appalling. State it in your letter to them that your mentaql health has been compromised further - I might even go so far as to going into the surgery and asking for details on the "external grievance procedure" and file a complaint about her....

You take care and let us know how you go with this....

Don't let them get away with this!

That you are not - for her to make you feel that way is appalling. State it in your letter to them that your mentaql health has been compromised further - I might even go so far as to going into the surgery and asking for details on the "external grievance procedure" and file a complaint about her....

thank you, you have been really kind. xxx

thats appalling. thats inviting someone who really needs to see a doctor to feel they should not go 'just in case' they need to later. that could risk someone not feeling they shouldnt make an appointment and something that could have been treated being left to get worse. they are potentially making things so much more difficult and costly for themselves by not allowing treatment when needed. its not like you are gonna go for breaking a nail or something daft, you have genuine reasons. (sorry for ranting, makes me mad).

i really hope you do complain about this, its outrageous. like has been said, the CAB, your community mental health team or even a charity such as Mind or Rethink should be able to help.

:bigarmhug[1]:

xxx

thats appalling. thats inviting someone who really needs to see a doctor to feel they should not go 'just in case' they need to later. that could risk someone not feeling they shouldnt make an appointment and something that could have been treated being left to get worse. they are potentially making things so much more difficult and costly for themselves by not allowing treatment when needed. its not like you are gonna go for breaking a nail or something daft, you have genuine reasons. (sorry for ranting, makes me mad).

i really hope you do complain about this, its outrageous. like has been said, the CAB, your community mental health team or even a charity such as Mind or Rethink should be able to help.

:bigarmhug[1]:

xxx

Thank you, you have all been really kind. I have rung up the patients liaision people today and told them whats happened and they are going to look into it and find out what the gp can and cant do.

this is dreadful, you are not wasting their time one bit, That is their job to help you. And i so understand how usless the GPs can be, i have had mouth ulcers and they are like oh there is nothing we can do! Well i get so sick with them there has to be something they can do i get really ill with them but they dont beleive me, the fatigue and aches and pains they dont beleive about... so much for health care have to figure it out myself...i am trying a gluten free diet which seems to have helped and taking b12 and lysine. it has helped.

Sorry to get off track. i totally agree, ask them for the policy in writing! You need it in writing, omg i am so mad with your doctors, how mean. How dare they be so mean to you! It is down right rotten they deserve a kick up the backside. Who told you the receptionist or a doctor? None of them have a right to treat people like that. oh it makes my blood boil! please get it in writing then take them to task. I would also recommend trying to get a second opinion for medical stuff if the first doctor is bad.. though sometimes they are all bad huh.

It is not your fault, it is their fault they are being down right horrible and disrespectful. And to say that to you is disgusting!

Hey, there's another water wolf. Welcome.

Excuse me? They don't have the money to see people who need medical attention? What the heck do they think their jobs are? If you need medical attention, you need medical attention. NO ONE, including them, can plan when they need it or how often. If we could, no one would ever get sick or injured. And then they'd be out of work. Which really, seems like they should since they seem to have forgotten what it is they do. Sorry for the rant. That's just... ARGH!!!

Just when you think you've heard it all something else happens.........this is ludicruos!

It must feel awfull to be on the recieving end of this. Personally I would write a letter, but really you shoudn't have too, they are bang out of order!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

How awful, misunderstood64, I hope you feel better after all the support here.

I am trying to see it from the surgery's point of view. I knew a lady called S years ago at the local MIND group, and she would go down the doctors every day and demand an appointment because she was feeling upset. The staff would regularly have arguments with her in the reception area.

I think when you write letters to people you need to explain what your issues are and that the reason for the many appointments is because you feel they have not resolved them. Is it possible you can see another doctor in the practise ?

I am suffering from something currently my doctors have no idea what it is.

But because my blood work shows up fine i've been told "its not severe enough to be taken any further" I asked how severe it would have to get before it would be "worth looking at again" and was told i'd basically have to be bedridden before they would take notice of it being anything more severe.

I'm in a high risk group for several conditions because they run in the family and therefore have blood tests done every 2-3 months to check for them I get all sorts of warnings and you must do this and that to look after yourself so you dont get it.

Then i go to the doctors to express a concern or worry about a warning sign cropping up and all of a sudden i'm a hypercontriact and its all my head.

I had a about 4 months tell me my problems were all due to my own inabilty and lazyness and that I needed to buck up and swollow it up and just be a man and then things will be ok if "i stop being such a wimp" needless to say I complained about the doctor in question and had myself transfered.

I've gone through several doctors this year (about 7) but I've finally found one who actually listens to me and helps to eleviate my worries and concerns without making me feel like i'm useless

You have a right to medical treatment and a right to be treated with respect. If your GP is acting the way they are I would write an official complaint not just to the GP but as far up as you want to take it, (Maybe your county's council? a local MP?) and have yourself transfered to another pratice.

You might have a long wait but sometimes if your really concerned about things and your GP is a dick you can go to the hospital itself and be seen. I was told last time i tried to do it that I shouldnt really use the hospital for it but that they would see me given the state that I was in.

I hope you manage to sort things out

Keep us posted

*hugs*

misunderstood,

I really feel for you this must be awful, I can't believe they've treated you like this.

Hope it's all resolved soon.

And don't get me started on the receptionists at the doctors.

Ours always seem to cross examine you when you ask for appointments!! - Like the spanish inquisition!!

That's disgusting! I can't believe it! I didn't think they could do things like that?!

I really hope this gets resolved for you soon xx

What a bizzare way for a GP to go on.

Without tempting fate, what if you developed a different complaint that needed urgent medical attention?

Maybe you could ring NHS direct, make an appointment with a GP in a walk-in centre, and explain the saga to them.

I would also look at contacting the CAB.

I get a dry mouth, not as bad as yours, from the medication I am on.

Hi,

First of all you are not a failure

I am appalled by this, but not totally suprised. GP clinics are more and more based on business models of financial and target efficiency; MH people like us are simply not cost effective, we take too much time. Add physical health problems to MH probs and we fall in a black hole. People with MH probs are statistically much more likely to suffer from untreated and undiagnosed physical problems than the "normal" population because a lot ot GPs cannot spot where one illness starts and another ends-and they don't like to listen to the "loony" patient.

I do have some symapthy with GPs, there are a few hypochondriacs out there (which may be a MH prob in itself of course) but I am am not suggesting that this is the case here; you are being treated badly and possibly they are breaking their duty of care to you.

Personally I've found my local CAB useless (the last guy I saw was over 70 and admitted he's never even turned on a computer so couldnt find me info). I know some are better. However they will have the contact details of a community law team, if you need it, and it should be free for advice.

I thoroughly reccomend the MIND MH Legal Advice Service however-

http://www.mind.org.uk/About+Mind/Legal+Advice+Line/

they have given me great free and very specific advice and help in the past. You may have to try the phoneline several times, theyre v busy, but do persevere, Im sure they can help.

You shouldnt either morally or legally have to accept this treatment. Im so cross I wish I could sort them out myself for you!

rebeccaborderline

That is utterly disgusting behaviour from your GP practise. I don't know what it is about GPs that think they should be paid the amount they are when they rarely if ever offer any real help! Honestly if there aren't enough resources then why don't the GPs and consultants take a pay cut...and maybe get rid of a few billion managers within the nhs?! And yeh what is it about receptionists at GPs that are so snotty....don't they understand that people ringing up for an appt are ill and shouldn't have to justify why they are calling to make an appt! Mine triage over the phone now which is a completely useless service when i'm depressed because i cannot speak unless i'm face to face with someone...and even then its hard! Even saying the words - i'm depressed - is hard enough! My GP told me that i should just tell them i want an appt for a private reason, but when i'm depressed it is hard to do this because it goes against the grain of 'what should be done'. Some receptionists in the past have made me feel as if i was the stupidest person on the planet they can be that derogatory!

I really think you should make a complaint regarding your treatment, it is totally unacceptable. The amount of people that waste nhs time by not turning up for their appts far far outweighs those people that have legitmate concerns (i know i work in the nhs and today sat around for 3hrs waiting for people to turn up that didn't - it is frustrating!!!). Besides someone pointed this out earlier, if they had actually offered you a solution or at least a treatment plan/management plan you wouldn't be having to make so many appts. The fact that you have been left without an appropriate management plan or if there is one, the fact that this has not been explained to you properly so you understand what plan is, is enough to complain about. That is poor patient care. Honestly they can't be allowed to get away with it.

Here are two useful web addresses. Contact PALS complaints.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Managingyourorgani...Count/index.htm

http://www.nhs.uk/aboutNHSChoices/pages/Ho...compliment.aspx

Archived